Interested in a lever-action rifle

I haven't ever owned or even handled a lever gun much to render myself an authority, but I do know that there is a "side-eject" (correction: make that "angle eject") version in some lever guns. That might facilitate a scope mounting issue.
As a reloader, I have been loading many light cast loads in .30-30, 35 Remington and .358 Winchester. You could do likewise...or simply load light jacketed bullets over IMR's Trail Boss powder (or others that have available load data). Try the Lyman 311008, sized accordingly, for a mouse-fart load in your 30-30. The 358315 for the 35 Rem and 358 Win.
Just be mindful of the standard precaution of pointed bullets in tubular magazines!

Last edited:
I've some levers kicking around. From 45/70 down to .22. Here's a few of them: Top down, 45/70, 30/30, .44 mag/.44 spec., .357 mag/38 spec., .22LR, L, S. There's others.

Leveraction-1.jpg

From the sounds of it, a .44 mag, 45 LC or .357/38 may be what you want, esp. as you reload for pistols as is. Maybe a .22LR. It really depends on what you want to do with it. If only plinking, the .22 should do you. You can also use (I hate this word usage, like others aren't) sub-sonics in it. The other 3 will add a bit more versatility. There's a few makers you may want to look at. Side ejection is Marlin if you want to scope. Winchester and Rossi are top ejectors. Some people swear by Henry. I've heard some grumbling about the last runs comming out of Marlin prior to shutting down. I own mostly Marlins and on those I use Wiliams peep sights. I've a bunch of peeps for them with different appertures. The Rossi Puma 92 (4th down) is a .357/38 spec. and has a Marbles tang sight. The puma is very tiny but the action is extremely strong. They use the same one all the way up to .454 cas. You can use it with one arm if you want. It's so light and has a pussycat recoil but amps up the speed of the .357 pretty good because of the longer barrel. I hate the front sight hoods on Marlins. They are never in the round like the whinnies are. I usually pop them off on the range as they distract me. If you want to get one accessory, I might suggest a good pair of shooting gloves if you don't already have some. Working a lever for a while wears on the back of your hand. 30-30 isn't that bad of a kicker. 45/70 gets bad after a while. Besides these two calibers, I have matching revolvers for the others so they can share the same ammunition. And as "NavelOfficer" said: be mindful of your bullet shapes in a tube feed. I can go on for a while but this should sum it up.

I had a jonesing for a lever gun last year, I picked up a henry golden boy. .22lr its a blast to shoot and cheap. The action on it is like butter

I have the Marlin 336SS (30-30) and the Marlin 1894CSS (.38/357). I dont use scopes on either of them. I installed the Williams Fire-Sight "peep" Set (WGRS-336 Set) on both and have been very happy with them. I ring the plate at 250 yards at my range all day with either rifle. 30-30 kicks a bit from the bench but freehand its much milder since your whole body takes the recoil. As was said in an earlier post 30-30 will take down all size game in NE. 30-30 has similar ballistics as the 7.62x39 round but the heavier 30-30 bullet retains its energy better at longer ranges. 30-30 is easy to find in gunshops and at walmart and if you decide to hunt in the rest of the US then you can be sure you'll find 30-30 ammo in most any small town gunshop if you run low on your hunting trip. .38/357 is great since it costs less, its easier to reload than a rifle case and a 357mag out of an 18" barrel gives you about 1800-1900 fps in most factory ammo which is capable of taking most medium game (deer etc). Recoil is mild with the 38/357 lever. Same deal as 30-30, .38/357 can be found in most all gunstores or walmart whereever you are in the US. It all depends on what you want to use the rifle for. If its mostly for hunting then I'd get the 30-30 and I think you'll be pleased...its an old round but very effective which is why its still around. If you are concerned about price and recoil for lesser experienced shooters then get the 38/357 which you'll still be able to hunt with but at shorter ranges. Plus if you have a revolver in 38/357 you can share ammo with it. I like both of my rifles but the 336 has a much smoother action, balances a bit better than the 1894 and the extra kick adds a bit more to the experience. If i had to only buy one I'd get the Marlin 336.

I have 3 lever guns. a Marlin 1894 .44 mag (stainless), a Marlin 1895 CB .45/70 and a Uberti Henry .45 LC. If I could only own one rifle it would be the Marlin 1894 .44 mag. It is light and fast and for me it just goes to the shoulder naturally. I can hit a steel gong at 50 yards as fast as I can throw the lever without taking it from the shoulder. It hold 10 rds in the tube and 11 with .44 special. I cast my own bullets and reload so I can load it light for plinking or heavier if I wanted to hunt with it. It will take any game in this area. It is also my designated home defense/SHTF rifle. It is durarble and reasonably accurate for it's purpose. I can shoot it better then my AK or AR. When I load it with .44 specials my wife loves to shoot it as the recoil is negligible. The best damn rifle ever made IMHO. I also shoot a S&W 629 and Ruger Blackhawk so it partners well. I imagine that the .357/38 would be about the same, maybe a bit less recoil.

Add me to the boat of wanting a lever-action.
I too will be mainly at the range for plinking so I figure the 38/357 would be best suited.

I think it kicks like a mule, but that's just me. There are more efficient cartridges out there but they are rarer.

It does NOT kick like a mule. Shootin' Buddy has a pre-64 '94 in .30-30 so I've tried it. It has a firm recoil but no worse than an M1 or a Mosin (in fact, considerably less than a Mosin!). I certainly never want to be on the wrong end of it, that's for sure!

SB will be at the shoot in Mansfield in March so I'm pretty sure she'll let you try a few rounds if you want.

I have 3 lever guns. a Marlin 1894 .44 mag (stainless), a Marlin 1895 CB .45/70 and a Uberti Henry .45 LC. If I could only own one rifle it would be the Marlin 1894 .44 mag. It is light and fast and for me it just goes to the shoulder naturally. I can hit a steel gong at 50 yards as fast as I can throw the lever without taking it from the shoulder. It hold 10 rds in the tube and 11 with .44 special. I cast my own bullets and reload so I can load it light for plinking or heavier if I wanted to hunt with it. It will take any game in this area. It is also my designated home defense/SHTF rifle. It is durarble and reasonably accurate for it's purpose. I can shoot it better then my AK or AR. When I load it with .44 specials my wife loves to shoot it as the recoil is negligible. The best damn rifle ever made IMHO. I also shoot a S&W 629 and Ruger Blackhawk so it partners well. I imagine that the .357/38 would be about the same, maybe a bit less recoil.

Have you loaded any 44 magnums with the Lee C430-310-RF ? I was wondering if they chamber okay at both crimp grooves?

I have not. I should get one of those molds and give it a try.

Let me see if I have any remaining; I might be able to send you a few to load up. Just let me know what works and what doesn't, as applicable. Not that I have any lever gun or carbine in .44, but I'd like to gather up some experiences with this bullet in various firearms for my own reloading purposes, that's all. PM me at your convenience and I'll get a sample off to you, if interested...if need be, I'll disassemble a few loaded rounds to get a few bullets for you.
My brother, in Vermont, has the mold and he casts some for me periodically. I only have a revolver in .44, fwiw. (I'm currently using the library computers for Internet access, so it may be a day before I see your replies.)

Last edited:
The most beautiful long gun ever produced

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1860_henry.php

I have a Uberti 1866 replica in 45LC and love that piece. "It" brings out the marksman in me.
sounds crazy but I can hit a beer can at 75yds and a 8" circle at 100. That for me is great.
Tank

30-30 is a sweet cart to for almost any purpose in North America. Within the limits of reason.

You may also want to check the used gun racks. The levers can often be found reasonably priced.

I ended up with a Winchester 94. When comparing there were 2 one older and one newer both Winchester, the action on the newer gun (mid 80s) was not nearly as smooth as he older gun (mid 40s) Both showed similar wear.

I have a buddy with a newer Marlin (mid 80s) as well. The Winchester is a little smoother and a little heavier than that rifle. The Marlin does have provisions for mounting a scope which the Winchester does not.

I also agree with what others have said and I too would like to get a lever in pistol caliber at some point. I think it would get more range time.

Oh... you guys with the 38/357 versions:
I have an NEI mold (148 358, I believe it is marked) that drops a 168 grain truncated cone style bullet. It would seemingly be ideal for a lever gun, but I don't have one. If any of you fellas reload and would like to sample this bullet, give me a holler (pm) and I could send a few bullets for you to make up a few dummy or live loads.
Do the lever guns cycle the flush wadcutters okay or is it best to just stick with SWC and other bullet profiles?

Oh... you guys with the 38/357 versions:
Do the lever guns cycle the flush wadcutters okay or is it best to just stick with SWC and other bullet profiles?

My Marlin will cycle wadcutters, but, I have to be deliberate. If I go slow, it sticks. RNFP and Conical Flat Points slide like butter.

I like these from Berry's Plated:
38-158-fp_md.jpg

and these from Reloads N' More:
38_158gr_RNFP.png

I recently asked a similar question. ... This is what I ended up with. Couldn't be happier.
1895GBL.jpg

Nice looking gun. What is it? I like the size of the lever, not the small rectangular one but not the huge loop either; just right.

Nice looking gun. What is it? I like the size of the lever, not the small rectangular one but not the huge loop either; just right.

I believe you can buy the oversize lever from marlin and retrofit it on their other lever guns. It is more comfortable for my large hands - especially with heavy recoil rounds.

My Marlin will cycle wadcutters, but, I have to be deliberate. If I go slow, it sticks. RNFP and Conical Flat Points slide like butter.

I like these from Berry's Plated:
38-158-fp_md.jpg

and these from Reloads N' More:
38_158gr_RNFP.png

Thanks "cobblepot"!
I'd always wondered about that. Of course, there are plenty of bullet profiles available in 38, such as the two you referred to, so there'd never be a lack of fodder to feed any lever gun, I reckon.
Have you sampled any of the Sinterfire frangible offerings by chance? I don't suppose they'd be authorized for CAS matches, but I like the lead-free and ricochet reduction aspect of these projectiles. FWIW, I use them in handgun and .308"/.310" rifle applications. They have two .358 bullets, but don't make a suitable flat-point for .30-30 applications however (unless you load them single shot).

I've been watching alot of westerns lately, and now I want a lever-action, and a single action wheel gun. I was looking at the Marlin 1894c but I can't really seem to find a price for it anywhere. What do they usually run, and where would I find one with ease?

I too have a hankerin' for a lever gun. I just got a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .45 LC, and I'd like to grab a lever gun in the same cartridge. The Blackhawk can withstand some really hot loads, is there something of similar strength in a lever gun? When I start reloading for .45 LC ideally I would prefer to have one standard loading for both guns, on the hot side.

Thanks "cobblepot"!
I'd always wondered about that. Of course, there are plenty of bullet profiles available in 38, such as the two you referred to, so there'd never be a lack of fodder to feed any lever gun, I reckon.
Have you sampled any of the Sinterfire frangible offerings by chance? I don't suppose they'd be authorized for CAS matches, but I like the lead-free and ricochet reduction aspect of these projectiles. FWIW, I use them in handgun and .308"/.310" rifle applications. They have two .358 bullets, but don't make a suitable flat-point for .30-30 applications however (unless you load them single shot).

I haven't tried any frangible bullets. I have tried various hollow points and semi wad cutters in the 158 grain size all with good results. You might like the Berry's plated bullets. They have no exposed lead and they have a soft swaged core. I don't think they'll ricochet much. However, I have not shot steel up close much.

I can attest that the Sinterfire frangibles don't splash back from 12 inches on steel with a 45 ACP, but with rifle loads (7.62 NATO), you will get all the debris that is plastered on the steel coming back at 3 feet, even though the Sinterfire bullet itself doesn't return. SKS load was no problem at 3 feet, however. Granted, this is hardly the typical course of fire for most shooting disciplines and I wouldn't recommend it as standard fare.
Since the bullets are somewhat brittle, they don't get crimped, so it will need some experimenting in various actions and chamberings to see if the bullet will stay in place while cycling/firing.

Back
Top Bottom