• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

357 Lever Action

We have a Henry Big Boy All Weather in .357/.38 Spl. Maybe two boxes through it.

Lately, when I try to chamber a round, it does not seat all the way. A number of users in another forum say to put more force into it and it will seat properly. This sounds like a bad idea.

Happened to anyone else? Henry has already sent a return tag. Maybe it’s time to get a borescope.
Send back to Henry, they'll take care of it.

You can't go wrong with the Teslong borescope. In fact, I think you've seen me use mine. It's compact and easy to use. The iPhone/iPad one is around $80.

We have a Henry Big Boy All Weather in .357/.38 Spl. Maybe two boxes through it.

Lately, when I try to chamber a round, it does not seat all the way. A number of users in another forum say to put more force into it and it will seat properly. This sounds like a bad idea.

Happened to anyone else? Henry has already sent a return tag. Maybe it’s time to get a borescope.
My Henry 357 just runs. I'm using reloads. Brass probably fired at least ten times.

Send back to Henry, they'll take care of it.

You can't go wrong with the Teslong borescope. In fact, I think you've seen me use mine. It's compact and easy to use. The iPhone/iPad one is around $80.
Great customer service. I had to send mine back when I first got it due to light strikes. They had it back to me within two weeks.

My Big Boy (brass) in 45C had a weird problem. There was some extra metal that was left on the bolt at the edge of its cutout to receive the locking lug. When I fired it, it hammered it flat, but as the metal had to go somewhere, it went out, increasing the diameter of the bolt there slightly. Then the bolt wouldn't open, not easily. I got it open, disassembled it, diagnosed it, but it was a waste of time in a way because the only solution was to send it back to Henry.

My 357M Big Boy Steel had an interesting problem as well. The locking lug was too tight in the bolt, so it was a little sticky in the way one expects a new gun might be at first. But we're talking about hardened steel parts here, the locking lug and the bolt itself. Eventually, the hook at the bottom of the locking lug that the lever engages to pull it out broke off from fatigue at levering it open. Here again, there's only one solution.

Your case is reminiscent of what happens when shooting 38 specials in a revolver and then switching to magnums. If it is something to do with the chamber, you should be able to reproduce the chambering issue by inserting a round directly into the chamber with the bolt back. If round drops easily into place up to the rim when the action isn't involved, the problem is in the action. But as with my experiences, there is likely to be only one solution.

Just got a Big Boy round barrell in .357. I had the Marlin (which I had my heart set on) and the Henry on the counter at the shop - CDS in litttleton :) . I thought the Henry was superior, smoother action. Crisper trigger.

Looking forward to runnin a box through.

I want a Henry case hardened in 357. Something about it just calls to me.

I have a Henry Model X in 357 and it’s a great gun. 38 special is a blast to shoot suppressed.

Picked up a Ruger-made Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum the other day. I wasn't going to, but the Ruger-made Marlins have been getting decent reviews, and they had the good sense to make this .357 model with an 18.63" barrel instead of a 20", and I thought, "Well, it isn't the 16 inch I would have preferred, but it looks pretty handy." Haven't shot it yet, but I just got done installing a stainless magazine spring with stainless follower, a one-piece firing pin, and a Palo Verde spring kit (reduced lever latch and hammer). Seems OK. Interestingly, the plastic follower was already broken. Not sure I will bother complaining about it, because what would I do with a replacement? The trigger is probably the worst of any out-of-the-box lever guns I've bought--noticeable creep but then a decent break. Will see how the gun wears in. Hope there isn't anything wrong with it because then I'd have to swap all those parts back. It wouldn't take that long, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom