.22LR Double Action Revolvers

I've had a couple Taurus .22 revolvers on my mind for years, but they're a PITA to get currently and have been since Covid. I am not interested in waiting another Summer to get my hands on a DA .22 revolver, so I'm seriously considering buying something else. Price is a factor, one reason I was going to go with Taurus was they were a good price and with .22 revolvers all the triggers tend to suck regardless of whether you buy a $300 one or an $800 one.

I'm not interested in S&W.

I had interest in the Ruger LCRx at one point and IDK what happened, but lost interest. Currently this is my top alternative as I figure if I don't like it it will be easy to sell because the Ruger fanboy club is strong round these parts. It's going to be funny hearing from someone behind the counter who is transferring me the LCRx describe a 17oz aluminum and polymer revolver as "BuIlT lIkE a TaNk!!!"

No interest in the SP101 .22 and the GP100 .22's are too big, too heavy for what I want.

There's also Charter Arms, I don't like the way they look and don't care for the company's current quality these days, but I've heard good things about their .22's.

The last option is the Alfa Proj revolvers that Rock Island imports. These would be the highest in price of all that I'm looking and they seem like quality revolvers, but I have no experience with the brand, nor do many others. Not sure if the risk is worth the reward.

I’m in the same boat. Looking for an inexpensive .22 da revolver. Most of its use will be shooting blanks while dog training. Decent blank pistols are $300. Plus, a reason to buy another gun.

Not sure of their availability in Mass, but …

“Rock Island Armory, a division of Armscor and well-known for its solidly-built 1911s, continues to deliver new and diversified choices in firearms. One of the newest additions to Rock Island’s lineup is the Model AL22, a nine-shot revolver in 22 long rifle. This brand-new offering is one of four new 22 caliber revolvers available from RIA Imports that also includes two models in 22 magnum. These quality-built revolvers are manufactured in the Czech Republic and imported by RIA.”

4A12FCCF-4CE3-4447-BF41-0AAE0CC69D23.jpeg

Doesn't want to spend much money lol

This^

I say look around for an old H&R Sportsman series 9-shot top-break revolver.

maxresdefault.jpg

Right now they are unobtainium, but I'll be grabbing a King Cobra .22 if they ever get around to making them. Pricy though....at like 900 bucks.

This^

I say look around for an old H&R Sportsman series 9-shot top-break revolver.

maxresdefault.jpg
I have thought about getting one, but IDK how well they hold up and while I like H&R revolvers, I'm hesitant to spend $500 on one considering the company is no longer around and any issues can't be fixed by their service department. I'm fine with their .32 top breaks because they're cool, inexpensive, shoot well, and hold up pretty well.

Not sure of their availability in Mass, but …

“Rock Island Armory, a division of Armscor and well-known for its solidly-built 1911s, continues to deliver new and diversified choices in firearms. One of the newest additions to Rock Island’s lineup is the Model AL22, a nine-shot revolver in 22 long rifle. This brand-new offering is one of four new 22 caliber revolvers available from RIA Imports that also includes two models in 22 magnum. These quality-built revolvers are manufactured in the Czech Republic and imported by RIA.”

View attachment 728639
If I don't start getting good feedback on the Ruger LCRx, I'm going to have to seriously consider these. Problem is they're probably larger and got some heft to them and at that point I may as well get the GP100 for better resale value or the Taurus Tracker I saw at an LGS with a scratch on the side.

Wish you luck in your search. Thought I found a deal on a LCR 22lr 2 weeks back but it was a hacked GB seller account and I gotta defrauded near 400 bucks lmao. Beware! Don’t let the rare deal push you into foolish mistakes like me.

If I don't start getting good feedback on the Ruger LCRx, I'm going to have to seriously consider these. Problem is they're probably larger and got some heft to them and at that point I may as well get the GP100 for better resale value or the Taurus Tracker I saw at an LGS with a scratch on the side.

Unless you're seeking a used revolver, a new GP100 now lists for more than a S&W 617 and as much as a Classic series Masterpiece M-17. As for bulk and weight, the GP is only a couple ounces lighter than the 617 but also a couple ounces heavier than the M-17. As for reselling, I'd be more apt to buy the latter two if all things were equal.

Unless you're seeking a used revolver, a new GP100 now lists for more than a S&W 617 and as much as a Classic series Masterpiece M-17. As for bulk and weight, the GP is only a couple ounces lighter than the 617 but also a couple ounces heavier than the M-17. As for reselling, I'd be more apt to buy the latter two if all things were equal.
Current GP100 .22 prices are very bloated, I could buy two Taurus Trackers for the same amount of money. Totally opposite of the reasons I want a .22 DA revolver in the first place, which is to save some money on ammo, but not spend more time reloading like I do with single actions.

I'm pretty much decided on the LCRx. Come May I'm not waiting any longer and will make the order. Hopefully Ruger has its shit together with quality by then as if I have to send a $500 half plastic revolver back to them first thing I'm not going to be happy.

I love the top break guns and always wondered why they don't make them anymore. So cool.....
H&R was pretty much the only company left still making them until they closed. The design isn't strong and during the era of the magnums people were not interested in weak revolvers, except for maybe the .22's.

This would explain why the only current US produced top break is by North American Arms with their Ranger model.

The costs for setting up and producing a modern break top revolver would be huge, only the biggest gun makers would have the money and space to do it and they're all publicly traded companies that see there isn't much profit from starting from scratch.

It will never happen and as I think about this while typing I realize now why people are willing to pay $500 for those H&R Sportsman revolvers: they very well may be the last larger frame top break revolvers ever made.

That reality gives me a renewed drive to buy the two .32 top breaks I've had on my list for a while. Even at double the price I would have normally paid for them, they'd be worth it given no more are ever going to be made.

Not sure why you aren't considering single actions as well as double actions. Opens up more possibilities including Ruger Single Sixes (LR and WRM) or cheaper Wranglers or Heritage revolvers. Really doesn't take that long to draw back the hammer, and the trigger pull is much sweeter.

I bought an LCR 22lr last summer and sold it a couple months ago. I really like shooting my lcp ii 22lr and really liked shooting my s&w 638 38spl before i messed up my wrist. So I thought it was a no brainer, but I hated the trigger

Not sure why you aren't considering single actions as well as double actions. Opens up more possibilities including Ruger Single Sixes (LR and WRM) or cheaper Wranglers or Heritage revolvers. Really doesn't take that long to draw back the hammer, and the trigger pull is much sweeter.
Waste too much time reloading and I already have several single actions. I want a double action with a swing out cylinder.

How about the Sidekick from Diamondback?

DA/SA but looks like a SA. Swing out 9 shot cylinder. 22 / 22Mag. Regular or birdshead grips.

Looks interesting. MSRP seems about $50 too high, but not bad at all. I was in the market for a .22 auto, and I think I may get one of these myself, now.

DA/SA but looks like a SA. Swing out 9 shot cylinder. 22 / 22Mag. Regular or birdshead grips.

Looks interesting. MSRP seems about $50 too high, but not bad at all. I was in the market for a .22 auto, and I think I may get one of these myself, now.
Do these exist in Mass?

I didn't know they were making a bird's head snub version. That does have some appeal, but the reasons I wasn't considering them is the frame material is pot metal and the sights are the traditional single action garbage. My eyes can barely see them now, so I figure in 20 years they won't at all. Also, I'm not interested in the .22 Mag, have plenty of convertible single actions already.

The bird's head not being currently available and probably won't be for a while doesn't help either.

Life is a side kick in the fukking head sometimes. I decided next week I'm going to buy the .22 so I can shoot it the week of July 4th and came here to review, was reminded of the bird's head Sidekick, looked it up and saw it only weighed 25oz and figured that was good enough only to come to find out they're STILL out of stock EVERYWHERE.

This is ridiculous, Taurus can't get .22 revolvers on shelves for 3+ years, Diamondback announces a birds head .22 in January and it's June and they're fukking MIA.

I don't want the Ruger, but I'm buying the Ruger simply because they can produce a .22 revolver that's a bit overpriced, but keep them in stock on shelves.

The gun manufacturers just fukking suck. I hope the recession hits these morons in the balls real hard.

Life is a side kick in the fukking head sometimes. I decided next week I'm going to buy the .22 so I can shoot it the week of July 4th and came here to review, was reminded of the bird's head Sidekick, looked it up and saw it only weighed 25oz and figured that was good enough only to come to find out they're STILL out of stock EVERYWHERE.

This is ridiculous, Taurus can't get .22 revolvers on shelves for 3+ years, Diamondback announces a birds head .22 in January and it's June and they're fukking MIA.

I don't want the Ruger, but I'm buying the Ruger simply because they can produce a .22 revolver that's a bit overpriced, but keep them in stock on shelves.

The gun manufacturers just fukking suck. I hope the recession hits these morons in the balls real hard.
The cheap gun will likely kick your balls first. 😂

Back
Top Bottom