• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY: Muzzleloader Rifle - Best One/Best Vendor

mu2bdriver

NES Member
I'm looking to give a muzzleloader rifle kit as a gift and wondering if the brain trust has a preferred rifle, preferred vendor, etc. It's going to be more for the build and experience, shooting included, than specific to a period or a timeline. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

I’m looking for a flintlock build myself and it will be a Kibler. Spendy but worth it. The lock is separate from the kit so keep that in mind. They stocks are CNC cut so they require a lot less fitting and produce a really fine rifle.

Bob

Rifle Kits

Lots of great information can be found at:

The Muzzleloading Forum:
The Muzzleloading Forum

American Long Rifle Forums:
AmericanLongRifles Forums - Index

Well now if you wanna do it right go for this guys kits.
However now that you’ve seen the pure sexiness of these you’re not going to want the standard kits you see out there.

Check out their YouTube videos. It’s about as close to perfect as you can get. Fit is amazing and not to ton of hard work to be done. Just some elbow grease and time. Some of the other kits have a lot of work to be done that if you mess up you’re going to need a lot of money to fix it.
Not these kits. They have the hard work simplified for you.

What are your thoughts on this monster?

I would love to do a kit but I'm sure my wife would stand behind me and chant "you'll shoot your eye out!"

What are your thoughts on this monster?

I would love to do a kit but I'm sure my wife would stand behind me and chant "you'll shoot your eye out!"

Spend some time on the forums I mentioned and read. When it comes to a flintlock the lock is the heart of the rifle. A good well made and tuned lock and it will be a joy to shoot. A half assed factory production lock will make you hate flintlock rifles.

I’m not personally familiar with Pedersoli it you can pick up a nice used rifle for that or less.

Bob

I had a Pedersoli Bess for a while. It's a cool musket but it is a monster like you mentioned. I ended up selling it because I prefer shooting the .62 cal Marshfield Fowler I bought from @Lefty38-55. He's a black powder guru and can steer you in the right direction if you want to build one yourself.

Thanks for the kind words @JenkkiMike! We still gotta git out shootin’ some day!

The Kibler kits are incredible!

I completed and finished this Colonial Rifle kit for a friend and the only chisel one would really need to build the ‘basic rifle’ would be a sharp 1/4” wide chisel to clear up the corners of any ~square inlet. The smallest cutting tool Jim cuts with on his CNC machines is 1/16th”, so it leaves at 1/32” radius.

Also be aware that he leaves ~1/16” of wood all over the buttstock to lower forend - so people can relief carve it, if desired - but I only added incise carving so I slimmed those areas with scrapers (I don’t use sandpaper).

Of the 2 larger rifle kits, the Colonial is over 9-pounds and the slimmer & trimmer Woodsrunner is < 8-pounds, but it wears a 38” barrel. Weights will vary, of course, dependent on the caliber chosen, lightest weights on bigger to biggest bore.

Their Southern Mountain Rifle (SMR) is VERY slim and petite, making a nice small game/squirrel rifle, but it can had in a 45-cal bore, or 32, 36 or 40.

If anyone wants a Kibler SMR kit, I can sell them one of walnut stock for $1,200, whereas Jim’s price is $1,380 plus almost another $100 for shipping.

This is their Colonial rifle:

4A9D738F-3514-4FC6-A66E-35089C7061C2.jpeg 1B8C027D-3CB7-43A1-B728-D7E04E79AE2A.jpeg 858DBAC8-CD43-4E57-B1AA-E263AEB409B5.jpeg 4EE56FA7-26B6-4AD5-A07C-FD42FFBE75FB.jpeg 2CFA4F93-CC2B-454A-BA20-D1BFF206A5BD.jpeg EE9762A8-6EBA-4699-9D2D-3A83A0CBAD55.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words @JenkkiMike! We still gotta git out shootin’ some day!

The Kibler kits are incredible!

I completed and finished this Colonial Rifle kit for a friend and the only chisel one would really need to build the ‘basic rifle’ would be a sharp 1/4” wide chisel to clear up the corners of any ~square inlet. The smallest cutting tool Jim cuts with on his CNC machines is 1/16th”, so it leaves at 1/32” radius.

Also be aware that he leaves ~1/16” of wood all over the buttstock to lower forend - so people can relief carve it, if desired - but I only added incise carving so I slimmed those areas with scrapers (I don’t use sandpaper).

Of the 2 larger rifle kits, the Colonial is over 9-pounds and the slimmer & trimmer Woodsrunner is < 8-pounds, but it wears a 38” barrel. Weights will vary, of course, dependent on the caliber chosen, lightest weights on bigger to biggest bore.

Their Southern Mountain Rifle (SMR) is VERY slim and petite, making a nice small game/squirrel rifle, but it can had in a 45-cal bore, or 32, 36 or 40.

If anyone wants a Kibler SMR kit, I can sell them one of walnut stock for $1,200, whereas Jim’s price is $1,380 plus almost another $100 for shipping.

This is their Colonial rifle:

View attachment 823887View attachment 823888View attachment 823889View attachment 823890View attachment 823891View attachment 823892
Let’s talk.

I'm looking to give a muzzleloader rifle kit as a gift and wondering if the brain trust has a preferred rifle, preferred vendor, etc. It's going to be more for the build and experience, shooting included, than specific to a period or a timeline. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I built the Hawkins .50 cal percussion cap with my dad in 1980. We built 2 of them. He let me do all the work with the exception of having the barrel blued.... Great experience as a kid. I still have them and they are crazy accurate. They still sell the kits. You said this was a gift so not sure how much you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom