• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle calibers at 100 yd range

how about pistol caliber carbines, 9mm AR platform works well at 100 yards, also a 357 mag lever gun would be a fun pinker
Compared to "real" rifle calibers, the biggest challenge with a 9mm PCC at 100 yards is you have to compensate for roughly a foot of bullet drop over that distance.

Plinking at 100 yards and bolt action?

Slightly out of the box but I'd recommend a 7.62x39 bolt action like a Ruger American Ranch or a CZ 527. Fun to shoot and you can go from dirt cheap to relatively decent ammo. Holes in paper will be much easier to see than 22 caliber, and if you are able to plink at objects other than paper like steel targets or other assorted stuff- the 7.62 projectiles will hit with more authority.

.38/357 still in short supply?

I own a S&W wheel gun in .357 and was thinking about getting a lever, but was turned off by the prices/supply for ammo last time I checked. (Of course this is less of issue for reloaders)

Not crazy expensive for plinking stuff. I usually order it by the case so have been happy overall with what has been available.

Compared to "real" rifle calibers, the biggest challenge with a 9mm PCC at 100 yards is you have to compensate for roughly a foot of bullet drop over that distance.
Not really too much of a challenge, depending on your zero similar to shooting a "real" rifle caliber at 300 yards.

Plinking at 100 yards and bolt action?

Slightly out of the box but I'd recommend a 7.62x39 bolt action like a Ruger American Ranch or a CZ 527. Fun to shoot and you can go from dirt cheap to relatively decent ammo. Holes in paper will be much easier to see than 22 caliber, and if you are able to plink at objects other than paper like steel targets or other assorted stuff- the 7.62 projectiles will hit with more authority.
Were it 2019 I would agree, but the prices on 7.62x39 have doubled and until PSA starts cranking out their steel case ammo, the Wolf and other current steel case stuff will cost 50c/rd and up. There are more accurate calibers with a better price available.

Back
Top Bottom