IMPORTANT NOTICE for all gunowners House Bill H2259

I would like to see MA law changed to treat citizens and legal resident aliens equally with respect to firearms laws, as they are in most other ways. This could be done with a few modifications to the current bill, changing the requirement for citizenship and removing the alien permit.

There is currently a case in which the NRA, Second Amendment Foundation and some individuals are challenging Washington State's discriminatory treatment of resident aliens, based on the 14th amendment guarantee of "equal protection". If this complaint goes to the US supreme court and is upheld, it might become grounds for challenging similar discrimination in MA.

Here are some links to that case:

http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=281
http://saf.org/legal.action/wa.alien.resident.lawsuit/wa.alien.resident.complaint.pdf

I understand that this is a minor issue compared to the other reforms in H2259, and that it might be politically difficult with the Virginia Tech shooter having been a non-citizen, but it would fit in nicely with the "Civil Rights" slant of the bill. I also appreciate that non-citizens would already be much better off under H2259 than under the current law.

Umm, well, maybe this should be an encouragement to legal resident aliens to become citizens?? Many of us have done it - go from green card to citizen, then LTC A [grin]

Umm, well, maybe this should be an encouragement to legal resident aliens to become citizens??
Many of these green card holders are waiting a required amount of time (I think it's 5 years) to make the next step towards citizenship.

I was contacted by someone who shot IPSC in Israel for years who is now a legal resident green card holder. I told him he would have to move to a neighboring state if he wanted to get the necessary license to continue his pastime while in MA. That is just plain ridiculous.

Many of these green card holders are waiting a required amount of time (I think it's 5 years) to make the next step towards citizenship.

I was contacted by someone who shot IPSC in Israel for years who is now a legal resident green card holder. I told him he would have to move to a neighboring state if he wanted to get the necessary license to continue his pastime while in MA. That is just plain ridiculous.

Interesting that you should mention this. I believe there have been two successful 14th amendment challenges to citizen-only licensing requirement in WA and KY. Based upon what I've seen in these two cases the MA prohibition against issuing LTCs to resident aliens would violate 'equal protection'.

Interesting that you should mention this. I believe there have been two successful 14th amendment challenges to citizen-only licensing requirement in WA and KY. Based upon what I've seen in these two cases the MA prohibition against issuing LTCs to resident aliens would violate 'equal protection'.

Could you post more details on this? [grin]

ETA nevermind, I found the answer in post #148 of this thread.

That's my situation. Citizenship is worth waiting for, but I would like to shoot handguns while I am waiting!

I believe there have been two successful 14th amendment challenges to citizen-only licensing requirement in WA and KY.

I did not know there had been successful cases. I'll look them up.

Last edited:
I'm working on getting the people in my office I've talked to about guns writing letters too. Any problem in putting them all in one envelope to save the postage or are you guys keeping the postmarked envelopes as additional evidence that this wasn't some mass printing endeavor to make it look better than it was?

LOGOCOLORPlain.gif
H. 2259 Needs your help!

WRITE FOR REFORM!
GOAL needs your help in changing our ever restrictive gun legislation.

We are currently working on H. 2259 "An Act Relative To Civil Rights And Public Safety."

I was wondering if any of the proposed changes (link does not work for some reason) would be related to protecting the rights of those who traditionally have no representation in MA?
I am talking about citizens living in another states and permanent residents (aka green card holders) living in and out of state.

The non-res citizens have to renew each year, new license never arrives in time, cost is $100+/year and now they have to take yearly a trip to Chelsea for processing. Change to 4-6 year license would be nice.

Permanent resident aliens by law are limited to LTC restricted to Firearms Competition. That needs to change as well.

Last edited:
Come on people, send a letter. 120 letters is a pretty poor showing. Let's take some time out from all the gripping about MA gun laws and do something about it. We may not succeed in making positive change; but at least we will have made an effort. You can be sure the anti's are busy. If we in the gun community are this apathetic, I guess we deserve whatever we get.

Mike, it's possible that some folks haven't written because they think that this is only for GOAL members. Correct me if I am wrong, but anyone can contribute a letter, right?

120 letters is a good start, but it's only a start. I hope folks get onboard with this. I will be typing out a couple of different letters for some friends of mine who are reluctant to write their own. I'll have them read through what I wrote, and if they agree, I'll have them sign them and I'll send them along to GOAL.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Yes, please any citizen in the state of MA, that wants a SAFER place to live should write. This is about keeping our streets safe, not just changing our unconstitutional laws.

It's a win win.

Hmmm. So I just sent a handwritten one to GOAL, should I also send one directly to the Rep for my ward?

Edit: The more I read into this, the more I get confused. I live in Ward 7 in Somerville. Who should I send letters to?

Last edited:
OK i am an extremely lousy writer but if I can get quoted in GOAL's weekly em then i'm sure you guys can at least get one written and sent out better than mine.

this is something all of us can do, it's one of those "heck if i can do it so can you" type of deals. lets go people! if you haven't done so yet, now is the time!!

Hmmm. So I just sent a handwritten one to GOAL, should I also send one directly to the Rep for my ward?

Edit: The more I read into this, the more I get confused. I live in Ward 7 in Somerville. Who should I send letters to?
From the looks of this page:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/city_town.htm

You would probably want to write to the following:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/member/cms1.htm
http://www.mass.gov/legis/member/pdj0.htm

On the original topic of the thread, letters are written, signed and in the envelopes. Just need stamps and they'll be on their way!

Yes, we need to do better if we want to make a change. We just sent a letter to each of our affiliated clubs asking them to have their members write, so hopefully that gives us a little boost.

Over 250K licensed gun owners in this state, and probably 2x that many that still own firearms without a license for various reasons. We need to get everyone together and make this happen, there's enough of us, we just need to act to ensure it does.

H.2259 Improvements for Non-Citizens.

I was wondering if any of the proposed changes (link does not work for some reason) would be related to protecting the rights of those who traditionally have no representation in MA?
I am talking about citizens living in another states and permanent residents (aka green card holders) living in and out of state.

The non-res citizens have to renew each year, new license never arrives in time, cost is $100+/year and now they have to take yearly a trip to Chelsea for processing. Change to 4-6 year license would be nice.

Permanent resident aliens by law are limited to LTC restricted to Firearms Competition. That needs to change as well.

As I understand it, the proposed reform makes things dramatically better for alien residents of MA (such as myself, for now). They would be treated the same as citizens, allowed to own handguns and carry, except that the license is "may issue" rather than "shall" and there is no full-auto license. I realize that "may issue" is problematic but it is still a huge improvement.

In the sticky thread on H.2259 I suggested that equal treatment of residents and citizens would be preferable, but that is a small point among the larger goals of the reform.

Only 120 letters so far? Ummm.....

WTF? I'm a little disappointed.

I agree. That is really friggin sad. It always seems like it's the minority trying to do the work for the majority. People need to step up and stop simply throwing money at the problem thinking it's going to get better.

Back
Top Bottom