• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE for all gunowners House Bill H2259

Civil Rights and Public Safety Act House Bill H2259

Here is the txt of the bill for reading: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht02pdf/ht02259.pdf

If you feel like calling or emailing here is how you can contact your Reps:
House Reps:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/memmenuh.htm

House Reps by city/town:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/city_town.htm

And here is what GOAL has: http://www.goal.org/templates/H2259.htm

The more emails or phone calls of support for this bill the more chance it will get passed. It will be US firearms owners that get this bill passed. I hope you will take the time to email or call your local Rep and tell him to support H2259. You can count on the police chief from all over the state calling and giving there input. And the anti-gun people contacting the Reps. The more calls/emails the better. This bill is only in committee but the more support now the better! And before it comes up for vote on the house floor contact the Reps again.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a joke right? Its way too sane for Assachusetts.

It is no joke! There are some pro gun people working at the state house. And the person that made the bill is one of them. So lets try and help him and ourself at the same time and put in some calls and emails of support. Make sure you get the word out at your local shooting range about this bill!

If it's still in committee, shouldn't we hold off our calls to our reps that are not committee members until such time as it comes up for vote on the house floor?

If it's still in committee, shouldn't we hold off our calls to our reps that are not committee members until such time as it comes up for vote on the house floor?

It wouldn't hurt to call/email and voice your support before it comes out of committee that way the Reps know there is support for it before it comes out. And if they don't know what the bill is about they will look at the bill. The point is to let them know that people know the bill is on the hill and there is a lot of support!

This is great !

I am a little concerned about going to jail for selling more than 3 guns in a year, though.

It makes too much sense to be passed, but we can sure keep our fingers crossed.

Since I don't know all of the original law, does this do away with FA10's?

Couls someone post a letter that we "grammatically challenged" folks could email to reps?

Here's mine. I underscored the fact that I'm a new citizen (hence a new voter). Your situation might be different.

"I'm one of your constituents in Canton. I'd like to write to voice my support for H2259, a new bill being reviewed in the joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security.

I became a naturalized citizen in 2007 and a year later applied firearm license to become a lawful gun owner. During the licensing process and thereafter, I have been constantly reminded how convoluted gun laws are in this Commonwealth, from the basic definition of firearms to the discretionary licensing power given to the local law enforcement chiefs. For example, I was told that first time applicant in Canton gets an Class B restricted License to Carry automatically despite that I am a qualified person. As a result, I cannot carry a firearm in person. The outcome could be completely different if I move 10 miles north to Needham.

In fact, this issue has become so important to me that I am seriously considering to move north and make New Hampshire my new home state. I have many friends have already done so for the exact same reason. Massachusetts is hoping to reverse the outflow of young/educated/affluent/taxpaying families (which describes mine), and this might be one of the area I think the Commonwealth can improve upon easily by passing this bill.

Bill H2259 aims to clarify the licensing process, and make it easier to punish those who violates firearms related laws, among many points. I sincerely hope you you and your colleagues give the bill a favorable review and help its passage.

Thank you very much for your time."

Optimistically skeptical. (is that a real phrase?)

Since you used it, it's a real phrase now. However, my beloved Ronald Reagan put it in a different way. "Trust, but verify." [wink]

Here's an easy e-mail to send to your local elected official:

Dear______________

I respectfully request that you work to get H2259 out of committee and that you support this bill when it comes up for your vote.

Sincerely,

For approximately 5 minutes of your time (or less), think about what you will get back should this bill be passed. It's a no brainer.

has anyone other then patriot and myself looked at section 33 paragraph (1)? If you sell more then 3 firearms per year, unless you are an FFL, you're going to jail. Thats a terrible change compared to current law.

im pretty sure the key in there is "except where provided by law"

the laws on the books now say the same thing now under trafficking. The chapter and section in the Scheft book is 269 10E, but i think that is wrong.

Last edited:
Here is a question for all of you gung ho gun nuts ?

Have you all read this Bill ?

When I mean read I mean from start to finish not just read a sound bite of what someone else thinks it means ?

Its always a good idea before you put your support into anything.

ETA: if you renounce your Corp citizenship status IE ( (11) has renounced his or her United States citizenship;) you would fall into the
“Prohibited Person” category.

Last edited:
Here is a question for all of you gung ho gun nuts ?

Have you all read this Bill ?

When I mean read I mean from start to finish not just read a sound bite of what someone else thinks it means ?

Its always a good idea before you put your support into anything.

ETA: if you renounce your Corp citizenship status IE ( (11) has renounced his or her United States citizenship;) you would fall into the
“Prohibited Person” category.

My Question to you is have you read the current chapter 140? If you had you would see this is a HUGH improvement over it. This takes a lot of the control of who gets a permit out of the hands of loca police chief! The local police chief shouldn't be able to add his own feelings to giving a permit. If you meet the law you should have your permit!

Last edited:
NO I did not read your Chapter 140.

And Yes I agree that if it gives all or part of a freedom or right back to those that it belongs to its a good bill.

But if the bill wasn't read and compared to the chapter on the books as it stands now you wouldn't have known if its in the locals favor or not would you ?

My Question to you is have you read the current chapter 140? If you had you would see this is a HUGH improvement over it. This takes a lot of the control of who gets a permit out of the hands of local police chief! The local police chief shouldn't be able to add his own feelings to giving a permit. If you meet the law you should have your permit!

Last edited:
NO I did not read your Chapter 140.

And Yes I agree that if it gives all or part of a freedom or right back to those that it belongs to its a good bill.

But if the bill wasn't read and compared to the chapter on the books as it stands now you wouldn't have known if its the locals favor or not would you ?

The current licensing scheme allows the local chief of police to restrict (aka neuter) your license as she/he sees fit. It's completely arbitrary and there's zero recourse to it because a restriction is not a denial and you can only appeal a denial.

Uh... is it my imagination, or does this text still leave in place the whole "empty brass is equal to ammunition" BS?

Section 122. As used in sections 122 to 129D inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-
“Ammunition”, ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.

SECTION 8. Section one hundred twenty-four of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws is hereby amended by deleting the section in its entirety and replacing it with the following:-
Section 124. No person, other than a federally licensed dealer or one who has been issued a firearm identification card or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm or ammunition.

No person shall sell, give away, loan or otherwise transfer a firearm or ammunition other than: (1) by operation of law; (2) to an exempt person as hereinafter described; (3) to a federally licensed dealer; or (4) to a person who displays his firearm identification card.

Why is this camelshit still in here???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom