I REALLY want a green card (machine gun license)...

After reading todays herald...devil patrick only wants you to have on firearm a month let alone an awful, killing machine, deadly, automatic machine gun...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am so scared now!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a law abiding citizen wanting a firearm....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, I was recently told that if I wanted the green card, I could probably get it.

But I have neither the interest in full auto nor the money to buy one and feed it, so I'll just be content knowing that if I requested the permit, I could get one issued to me. [wink]

On a related note... many clubs including the one I belong to now require anyone shooting a machine gun to have a license to own one. This means if I go there with someone who has their license to own a machine gun and they bring a few full auto guns, I can' shoot them unless I have a MG license too. I'm finding out that a lot of clubs are following this route ever since the kid and the Uzi incident.

What I'm wondering is if I apply for a machine gun license and get turned down, does that mean I'll have problems when I renew my LTC and fill out the section where it asks if I've ever been turned down for a license and have to answer yes?

Ray, I'd think that most chiefs will come out and just say, "we won't issue a green card" rather than take the application and summarily deny because they won't issue. Just ask, that's what I did.

If they issue you a LTC, it's highly unlikely (given you have a C&R, which I'm sure that you do) that they would deny you because of "you" . . . it would almost certainly be a "policy thing" of non-issuance.

Well, I was recently told that if I wanted the green card, I could probably get it.

I got told that I'd need to prove I was a collector. When I mentioned my C&R, I got told, well, that's not proof. Hey, bonehead, if I don't have the green card, I can't very well collect any MGs, now can I? Apparently there are exactly TWO green cards issued in all of Marlborough. [thinking]

Like Len states, ask before applying. If there allready are MG licens(es) issued by your town, then it's a good chance you would get one. If not, then be a trend setter [wink].

Either way, the MG license is just like a FID or LTC in that it costs $100.

The state requires you to have your C&R before getting your MG license because the state thinks the only reason you'd want a MG is for collecting purposes. Holding a FFL 03 C&R license proves you are a firearm collector. When issued, your license should say "collector" for restrictions.

Ross, you'd look good in green.

I thought about applying for a green card but I almost get nauseated for giving in to a market (of obscene prices) created purely by idiotic gun control laws.

I got told that I'd need to prove I was a collector. When I mentioned my C&R, I got told, well, that's not proof. Hey, bonehead, if I don't have the green card, I can't very well collect any MGs, now can I? Apparently there are exactly TWO green cards issued in all of Marlborough. [thinking]

As Adam points out, the C&R is prima facia evidence of collector status . . . Chief Glidden got that language in the CMR intentionally. Being a MPTC Firearms Instructor is the ONLY other (per CMR) reason acceptable to obtain the green card.

Most cities/towns that issue them only issue a handful. I know that there are a handful issued by my chief, although he didn't know how many he's issued off the top of his head (and I wasn't interested in numbers). I know one such green card holder.

I thought about applying for a green card but I almost get nauseated for giving in to a market (of obscene prices) created purely by idiotic gun control laws.

Sadly so true. But even if you pass that hurdle, the cost of ammo will kill you unless you are earning mid-six-figures.

If I correctly remember where you live, there's no chance in hell that your chief would issue one . . . he hates even issuing LTCs and hassles applicants to discourage them.

But I have neither the interest in full auto nor the money to buy one and feed it, so I'll just be content knowing that if I requested the permit, I could get one issued to me. [wink]

I was also told no problem, but since I'll never be able to afford a gun, I too must be satisfied that my freedoms are still available to me, most of them anyway.

I also really have no intrest in owning or $$$ to buy/feed one... but have thought about looking into the license simply to have the license.

As Adam points out, the C&R is prima facia evidence of collector status . . . Chief Glidden got that language in the CMR intentionally. Being a MPTC Firearms Instructor is the ONLY other (per CMR) reason acceptable to obtain the green card.
Even with that in place, some do and more will likely in the future, impose additional requirements beyond the C&R to demonstrate your "seriousness" as a collector.

MG licenses are an ugly peek into the future and reality of discretionary licensing.

The state requires you to have your C&R before getting your MG license because the state thinks the only reason you'd want a MG is for collecting purposes. Holding a FFL 03 C&R license proves you are a firearm collector. When issued, your license should say "collector" for restrictions.

This is incorrect. I never had a C&R license but I currently posses a "green" card. Your not required to have the C&R but they do want you to "prove" your a collector way to much discretion for the PD to decide IMO

This is incorrect. I never had a C&R license but I currently posses a "green" card. Your not required to have the C&R but they do want you to "prove" your a collector way to much discretion for the PD to decide IMO
This is correct. The C&R is _supposed_ to be "sufficient" to establish you as a collector, but is neither required, nor can you rely on it being "sufficient" despite the CMR itself saying that it is.

Under the guise of "suitability" and "discretion", the CLEO can require additional proof as they see fit according to the SJC.

Back
Top Bottom