I HATE CASE TRIMMING!!

Is the Tri Way any better? Just took a look at videos - looks pretty much the same as a WFT. What would you say it has for advantages?

Ive been looking into these recently and have a Tri Way coming this week. Seems the Tri Way has an enclosure to catch the shavings and also chamfers inside and out as it trims. Ive seen complaints about the WFT leaving quite a heavy burr after it trims.

So for an extra $20, going with the Tri Way you trim and perform an inside and outside chamfer all in one step, while limiting the mess that's created. The WFT seems to trim fine from what Ive read, but you then have to perform the chamfers with a different tool and the shavings go all over.

Ive been looking into these recently and have a Tri Way coming this week. Seems the Tri Way has an enclosure to catch the shavings and also chamfers inside and out as it trims. Ive seen complaints about the WFT leaving quite a heavy burr after it trims.

So for an extra $20, going with the Tri Way you trim and perform an inside and outside chamfer all in one step, while limiting the mess that's created. The WFT seems to trim fine from what Ive read, but you then have to perform the chamfers with a different tool and the shavings go all over.

I thought the WFT was the balls, until I tried using bullets that weren't boat-tails(223). It's still not bad at all, but all I have to chamfer is a stupid little lee tool that sucks to use. Fortunately I run a lot of boat-tail rounds.

WFT makes a mess too, it kind of dumps it out unpredictably, supposedly the tri way holds onto it until you're ready to dispose. WFT works well though, does a good job at trimming.

Last edited:
I did around 7-800 rounds over the last couple of days with the Tri way. Between the TW and the RCBS primer pocket swager I just got in, Im actually enjoying case prep.

Started off not so good. The blade would bind up on the case and spin it no matter how good of a grip I had on it. In the beginning, I was barely touching the case to the blade and it would grab and spin. After around 30-40 cases it happened less often until for the vast majority of the cases I did over the weekend, there were no issues. I found one of those gloves with the rubber palms seemed to work better than the leather glove I was using at first.

As someone else mentioned, I chucked it into an electric drill and secured that in a bench vise with the TW facing up at around a 45 degree angle. Giraud recommends having it facing up, I believe to keep shaving away from the bearing. Locked the trigger down and went to town. The plastic shield held all the shavings inside and was easy to slide off to empty and slid back on with no issues.

The case mouths were nice and smooth with a nice inside chamfer and no burrs anywhere. It came out of the box set at 1.749 and it stayed true for the whole 800 or so rounds. Im very happy with it so far.

I've been using Dillon trimmers for a lot of years and 400,000+ rounds later they still do what I expect them to do. When I load the brass I still use a sizing die with a carbide sizing ball to break that sharp/clean edge the trimmer leaves. This seems to eliminate the "copper dust" that might show up on the shell plate after a few hundred rounds. For more precision I'll use a powered chamfer/deburring tool after the size/trim step. For perspective, I sized and trimmed about 1100 223 this evening in about 50 minutes (I used to be able to size and trim 1500 an hour...but then I got old...and so did the presses and the tools...sigh...). For a one guy operation and doing some volume, this overall approach does what I need it to do.

I've been using the Possum Hollow trimmer for my 223 brass for the past few years. I've trimmed thousands of cases with it and it seems to work well albeit it throws brass shavings everywhere. When I need to replace it, it will be with a Tri Way.

Last edited:
I tried trimming .308 with the .30-06 collet in my Giraud and it didn't work.

I can trim .243 with the .308 collet though.

I see on the website that the .308 will work for other .308-based cartridges (243, 260, 7mm-08, etc) and the 30-06 will work with 270, 280, etc.. I guess there are neck length differences in those two families I am not aware of.

I see on the website that the .308 will work for other .308-based cartridges (243, 260, 7mm-08, etc) and the 30-06 will work with 270, 280, etc.. I guess there are neck length differences in those two families I am not aware of.

I think it's the case body diameter and shoulder angle that determine the collet compatibility on the Giraud Power Trimmer. I'm not sure how it works with the TriWay.

I'm not sure how it works with the TriWay.

I would assume it's the same. From what I can see the main difference between the TryWay and the power trimmer (besides the lack of a motor or course) is that the power trimmer has a removable case holder that you can swap out to accommodate different calibers ($35 bucks each.) The cutting head and blade appear to be the same from what I can see. He lists a ton of different calibers for the power trimmer but I suspect there's really only a handful of case holders and each one works with multiple calibers.

He's usually at Perry for the nationals, I'll pop in and ask him if I remember.

Tried to get a pic of the chamfer it puts on a case. Un-trimmed is on the right:
20150611_084653.jpg

Here is the amount of shavings from about 2500 cases:
20150611_090813.jpg

I'd probably buy one if he had one for 30 carbine. One of these days I'll grab one for 30-06 as I like to feed the Garand often.

You don't have to trim 30 Carbine

Really? I thought the case length was important in the M1 carbine since it headspaces on the casemouth? The Hornady manual lists the max case length at 1.290" and I had some cases that were as long as 1.305" - not many though. Last weekend I measured ~200 cases and trimmed any that were 1.285" and over. Took awhile with my Lee cutter in my cordless drill lol. It would be nice if I didn't have to trim/debur/chamfer the cases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom