• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WFT 223 case trimmer experience?

I'm in the market for a case trimmer for bulk processing 223/556 brass. I have the Lyman trimmer (the late type hand crank one) and Lee lock stud trimmer, but short of a Dillon set-up, is there a faster, better way to trim cases? So I've seen these WFT made by Little Crow Gun Works, apparently it indexes off of the shoulder of the case and chucks up in a hand drill. Has anyone used one? How do you like it? Pros/Cons?

For small batches, I just use my Lee trimmer, quick and easy, fast enough to brass prep for small lots. My Lyman is used mostly for various wildcats where no factory trimmer exists so I can adjust trim length infinitely. I'm looking to process about a 5 gal bucket of brass so anything that can speed that up is welcome.

Never trimmed a 223 case? How so? Curious more than anything.

I don't trim often, but when I have range pick-up, I always run them through the full prep and store them for future loading so I've got a good, known, starting point.

Never trimmed a 223 case? How so? Curious more than anything.

I don't trim often, but when I have range pick-up, I always run them through the full prep and store them for future loading so I've got a good, known, starting point.
I’ve never found them to be out of spec after firing. I trim 6.5 CM and 300 blackout I’ve converted from 5.56.

If you're doing large quantities, get a Giraud. It's a complete game changer. I can trim over 1000 cases/hr, and it chamfers and deburs while it trims.

It's somewhat of a big-ticket item, but it's totally worth it.

Giraud also makes one that you can chuck into a drill press or drive with a motor (Like the Little Crow or Possum Hollow). The downside with those is that they throw shavings all over the shop.

1704844570579.png

Get the giraud tri way. It’s the drill press version. Not sure how the originals were but the new models have a plastic shield to keep the shavings in. It doesn’t make a big mess if you’re using a drill horizontally. Vertical might toss some shavings.

I have one of these and it works terrifically:

By definition, trimmers that register on the bottleneck datum will not trim straightwall cases, but by and large straightwall cases seldom need trimming.

I have one of these but tbh I’ve never trimmed a .223 case.View attachment 837281
I use this for 223 since I already had it for 30-06, but holding the pieces of brass gets tiring. I did 2000 over the course of a few days using a pair of pliers to hold the brass on the rim (lightly).

The Giraud Tri-way I think is the way to go if you don't already have something.

As another poster indicated, the Frankford Arsenal trimmer only works for shouldered cases. I trimmed 2000 30 Carbine cases last year with a RCBS trimmer...that was tough, but it got the job done.

Last edited:
That Giraud is sweet! A little spendy for my needs, but I've had decent luck with a Lyman case trim Xpress. It uses specific collets but if you buy it as a kit, it comes with quite a few of common use ones. yes, holding the cases can be tough on the fingers. I find if I wear a heavy rubber glove I can easily grip the case base and not wreck the hand too much. The heavier weight, kitchen sink type that you can re-use not one time use nitrile gloves. The trimmer can be about $150-170. I like that it can be bolted down and concentricity is good.

Thanks all. The Giraud looks pretty Cadillac, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, for me anyways. I'll process a huge batch like this once a year or so. I don't mind the shavings. I have a vacuum system set up for dealing with the mess of milling out 80's so I can just use it for trimming as well I suppose.

Thanks all. The Giraud looks pretty Cadillac, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, for me anyways. I'll process a huge batch like this once a year or so. I don't mind the shavings. I have a vacuum system set up for dealing with the mess of milling out 80's so I can just use it for trimming as well I suppose.
The Giraud tri way is cheap. Not the whole motorized machine but just the cutter you chuck in a drill.

I'm in the market for a case trimmer for bulk processing 223/556 brass. I have the Lyman trimmer (the late type hand crank one) and Lee lock stud trimmer, but short of a Dillon set-up, is there a faster, better way to trim cases? So I've seen these WFT made by Little Crow Gun Works, apparently it indexes off of the shoulder of the case and chucks up in a hand drill. Has anyone used one? How do you like it? Pros/Cons?

For small batches, I just use my Lee trimmer, quick and easy, fast enough to brass prep for small lots. My Lyman is used mostly for various wildcats where no factory trimmer exists so I can adjust trim length infinitely. I'm looking to process about a 5 gal bucket of brass so anything that can speed that up is welcome.
I have one and it works great !! Actually, I have ones for 30-06, .308 and 7.62X39 also !! A lot faster than my older ones where you have to lock the brass in and then unlock it to go to the next !! Only good for full length sized brass. Not neck sized !!!

Back
Top Bottom