• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case Inspection - does this make sense?

I have been reloading .223 Rem for years, nothing particularly hot, just nice, accurate 100yd stuff with 69 gr bullets. Always checked for split case mouths and a cursory look over before primer/powder/bullet. I recently had a case head separation which certainly got my attention. I bought a machinist-type magnifier/light and have started really checking my brass. Split case mouths are easy to spot but my criteria is to pitch any case that shows any sort of ring around the case, no matter how faint or partial. Not bothering with the usual small scratches or tiny dings but any circumferential mark is out. I also made a little pick-like probe and drag that along the inside of the case to hopefully catch any crack developing from the inside. Does this make sense or is it overkill? Enough shooters at my club fail to pick up their brass so range brass in .223 is plentiful and cost is not an issue.

I reload 233 once and pitch it for that very reason. There's so much of it lying around that I have more than I'll ever use. The only thing I pick up is the links for the belt fed.

do you track how many times you’ve fired the brass or anneal them?

do you track how many times you’ve fired the brass or anneal them?
Unfortunately I do not track how many times fired or anneal my .223 although I do both for 6.5CM. Most of my .223 brass is (likely) once fired range brass so don't have a good starting point.

All my high volume brass
223,308, 30-06
I load in brass lots.
I will take 100( any amount you like really) usually sorted by Head Stamp , clean it inspect it , trim it.
Dont matter if once fired or what have you ( lots of unknown range brass in my buckets)
This is now the 100 pieces I load until I see a problem.
Split neck, case head separation , loose primers - any of those that show up the 100 case lot is off to the scrap bucket. Rotate to rhe next 100.
Over the years I have been better at putting range pick ups in their own bucket. During covid I loaded up a good amount of 55 gn 223 range bladting ammo with known range pick ups.

I (and many others) mark how many times my rifle brass has been reloaded on the case with a sharpie. Typically I trim before the first reload, and need to again after the third. After 5 they get retired. I don't anneal and everything is full-length resized because that way I don't need to match brass to a particular single rifle.

You can bend up a paperclip into a number "7" shape and use it to feel the bottom of the case from the inside to check for thinning - sounds like you're doing this as already.

Pistol brass I don't mark and I shoot until I lose it, or the neck splits on magnum calibers.

55_grain

All my high volume brass
223,308, 30-06
I load in brass lots.
I will take 100( any amount you like really) usually sorted by Head Stamp , clean it inspect it , trim it.
Dont matter if once fired or what have you ( lots of unknown range brass in my buckets)
This is now the 100 pieces I load until I see a problem.
Split neck, case head separation , loose primers - any of those that show up the 100 case lot is off to the scrap bucket. Rotate to rhe next 100.
Over the years I have been better at putting range pick ups in their own bucket. During covid I loaded up a good amount of 55 gn 223 range bladting ammo with known range pick ups.
That seems like a great idea which I will work toward doing - thanks.

Back
Top Bottom