• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone ever seen a primer strike like this?

View attachment 761663
I couldn't even begin to guess what would do this. You guys?
I'm guessing its a piece of range pick up brass? Maybe fired in something with a weak striker spring or hammer spring if out of a revolver.
Maybe a reload that the primer wasn't seated fully. First strike seated the primer, second strike fired it. Just happened to be rotated 180 degrees when loaded again into a mag or cylinder.

I've got a revolver that strikes a little off center, but its off in the vertical plane not horizontal. I'm thinking that is the case here too.

Last edited:
I can't believe anything could be so far out of wack that 2 strikes with the case rotated 180 degrees could result in that. My guess is a gun with a 2-pronged firing pin.

the strike with the raised ring around it is the firing shot, the other could have been a failure to fire or someone used it as a snap cap also looks like an extractor mark on rim, so firing pin is high of center

I what kind of primer has an anvil such that an off center firing pin would work with any kind of reliability?

I’d think any gun that did that would have a ton of misfires.

I what kind of primer has an anvil such that an off center firing pin would work with any kind of reliability?

I’d think any gun that did that would have a ton of misfires.
I think most all of them will go off with hit like that, Go to the range and start picking up brass and you will see it often

I think most all of them will go off with hit like that, Go to the range and start picking up brass and you will see it often

“Most all” doesn’t seem like a reliability standard I’d trust for anything important.

I’ve looked at a lot of range brass, and can’t remember any that were that far off center.

“Most all” doesn’t seem like a reliability standard I’d trust for anything important.

I’ve looked at a lot of range brass, and can’t remember any that were that far off center.
Nothing is 100%, some primers are hard some are soft, Common 1911 issue, hit can be adjusted by barrel fit and lockup, keep digging through the brass bucket you will see it if you look

don't take my word for it though google is your friend

Last edited:
Nothing is 100%, some primers are hard some are soft, Common 1911 issue, hit can be adjusted by barrel fit and lockup, keep digging through the brass bucket you will see it if you look

don't take my word for it though google is your friend
not only 1911, an any modified gun with lighter springs can do that. quite unusual for it to be that much off center, but, well, it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom