HXP spam cans with clips and bandoleers - CMP

Personally, I think ammo will be almost as good as legal tender when things get a bit worse.
Wait...things are getting better! We are better off with Al-Hussein Obama.....

Very happy the Fedex guy let my daughter sign for these while I was away yesterday.

The cans are nice and clean. No rust on the bottom. So I will just leave them sealed up like this until I need them.

You hit the jackpot on those lot numbers, they should have USGI clips (and sometimes bandos) in them so you may want to use them before long and sell off the empty bits.

When did you put your order in? I ordered a can yesterday around 4pm, got an order confirmation but no backorder notice.

I ordered just after you. It still shows my order pending. No confirmation of shipping. Hope I get some of these before they are gone.

Very happy the Fedex guy let my daughter sign for these while I was away yesterday.

The cans are nice and clean. No rust on the bottom. So I will just leave them sealed up like this until I need them.

Jeezus, can't you read those are not food containers! No need to cook or pre heat M1 food!
My last batch of 1972....4 can crate had all JMO clips made in Germany. Putting some up for sale soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I Ordered on the 2nd had some issues Order was confirmed on the 5th I got it Thursday. Didn't even look at the lot numbers....Will check later.

Mine will be here on Tuesday but I'll be working in CT until Thursday or Friday so I'm holding them at FedEx in Peabody. Can't wait to see what I get.

My 2 tins are lot # 4066 78 , I don't think I have any 78. If I sell enough stuff soon enough I will order more before they sell out.

Won't hurt to stock up.....

My last batch of 1972....4 can crate had all JMO clips made in Germany. Putting some up for sale soon.

Lot #4041 is thought to be the cutoff where you start getting all JMO clips. Before that (like 4038 mclina got)you find nice mixed USGI clips

Lot #4041 is thought to be the cutoff where you start getting all JMO clips. Before that (like 4038 mclina got)you find nice mixed USGI clips

Funny just started sorting the pile of bando's my 1972 are lot 4045. Those clips gave me headaches.
I ran them all through the tumble and that helped 90% of them. The problem child clips became SLEDs.

can anyone school me on the clips conversation we're having. what are some of the differences to look for and why one over another. Ive read this whole thread so I sorta get the outline but know none of the details. just curious, still young and new to this…will have to go check what the dates on my 2 cans are. thanks in advance for the knowledge to come.

can anyone school me on the clips conversation we're having. what are some of the differences to look for and why one over another. Ive read this whole thread so I sorta get the outline but know none of the details. just curious, still young and new to this…will have to go check what the dates on my 2 cans are. thanks in advance for the knowledge to come.

There are some clips that are manufactured , let's just say differently. They sometimes will not fit the extractor groove on some ammo. There are a few design differences in 30-06 extractor grooves. As there are slightly differences in clips.....it seems sometimes the combination of ammo/clip irregularities line up to produce "problems".
For the most part the JMO branded clips made in Germany and found in some HXP tins has some very heavy parkerize finish. A few hours in a tumble with some brass has helped with most of my issues.
my other problem clips I either make single shot loading devices out of them.....or Chuck them in the scrap pile.

Make your own single load device....

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/m1sled/m1sled.htm

There's real no shortage of clips, find a handful of clips that work and keep them handy for use. I have been saving a few bad clips f a friend who wants to make a wind chime out of them.

Last edited:
Okay how'd I do? Anything special? lol.
View attachment 149666

Absolutely the worst lot ever , give you 1/2 price for it! You got same lot numbers that great if it turns out to be very good ammo.
So far my best lots of HXP have been 67,70 and 74. 74 was just great stuff. Almost getting 1moa from it out of my 1904a4 sadly only had 1 240 end tin. 72 with the JMO clips gave me fits...both clips and ammo... is,what it is. It all performed as USGI intended.

FedEx tried to deliver today - adult signature required. Almost no other place where I've ordered ammo has that requirement. Not practical to have it held, nearest FedEx ground location is an hour from here. Lame.

Absolutely the worst lot ever , give you 1/2 price for it! You got same lot numbers that great if it turns out to be very good ammo.
So far my best lots of HXP have been 67,70 and 74. 74 was just great stuff. Almost getting 1moa from it out of my 1904a4 sadly only had 1 240 end tin. 72 with the JMO clips gave me fits...both clips and ammo... is,what it is. It all performed as USGI intended.

Hah. Well I got the same lot numbers as mclina which you guys claim to be the jackpot and have USGI clips so thats nice.

You hit the jackpot on those lot numbers, they should have USGI clips (and sometimes bandos) in them so you may want to use them before long and sell off the empty bits.

how about Lot HPX 4028-70? that's what I ended up getting, but as i have loose cans of hpx I'm going to keep mine sealed as they're in decent shape. the last few cans of loose hpx i recall having a few different headstamps other than hpx, i forgot to inquire about this with the cmp

how about Lot HPX 4028-70? that's what I ended up getting, but as i have loose cans of hpx I'm going to keep mine sealed as they're in decent shape. the last few cans of loose hpx i recall having a few different headstamps other than hpx, i forgot to inquire about this with the cmp

Loose will have anything the cmp has received from 1996 to present day. Although my cans of loose seem to be on average 2 years for the bulk of it with scattered head stamps filling in the rest. I had 2 head stamps dating 1939.

Last edited:
I once got a '43 Winchester in a can of loose HXP. It had a large spot of corrosion on the side. When I squeezed the case the side collapsed and the powder fell out.

T

I once got a '43 Winchester in a can of loose HXP. It had a large spot of corrosion on the side. When I squeezed the case the side collapsed and the powder fell out.

T

I have one can of loose left and never even looked at the headstamps...

FedEx tried to deliver today - adult signature required. Almost no other place where I've ordered ammo has that requirement. Not practical to have it held, nearest FedEx ground location is an hour from here. Lame.

its the way they've done it for years

This is a CMP requirement, they have a signature request probably just to cover there ass.
It is a,pain if you don't know this and then need to go to a hub. It seems everyone who needs a hub is hours,away from one.
I'm lucky enough to be able to ship to my work. Before that my regular ups and FedEx drivers would leave it with the nice lady across the street......this is where friendly neighbors come into play.

Back
Top Bottom