• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how the heck does one appendix carry?!

This might be more of a 'training issue' question.. but here we are.

So, I tried this a couple times. But I can't quite get it to work. I have been trying to find something a little different as a normal side carry isn't the best with my car's seats. They are all grabby and holdy. Which are great features to have in a seat. But it turns out that VW didn't really put any thought into dudes who carry a gun on their hip. Unpimped indeed.

As such it can be a bit uncomfortable to downright painful. Especially when you add in to the fact that I am a.. *ahem* growing boy of my mid 30s. You know.. where we have a kid and don't get to exercise and now my ****ing pants don't fit anymore because my wife keeps shrinking them. You know what I mean.

Now the problem is this. When I am standing and walking and such we're good. The gun has a nice awning and it keeps dry and it's not an issue to dig it out. BUT, when I bend over or sit the gun eventualy bottoms out on whatever (leg, balls.. whatever) and then directly into my gut. And that kids.. is not OK.

So what the heck is the trick that I don't understand?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I could carry that way all the time ten years and twenty pounds ago. Not any more. I drive and Audi and have about the same problems, but have not found a good solution.

I am as, let me put it on front, fat as they come. Appendix carry does not work!!!. I don't have a VW but do own a gen4 camaro which is tight. I use a KHOLSTER full moon with my shield and a SHEPHERD with my G19 and it works. I feel it is there because the belt buckle of the seat pushes against it but it is doable. Worst case get a cross-draw holster so you can carry on your left side.

:)

Perhaps there isn't a "trick". I think what it boils down to is AWIB carry isn't for everyone. I'm 5'8' 165 with an athletic build and I've tried it and absolutely hated it. Gave it an honest effort and found it completely uncomfortable and obtrusive. Now I'm sure there'll be a slew of posters to come along telling you they appendix carry an SBR and they,"forget it's even there".... but obviously it works for some folks.

On a side note, raising children and exercising is a matter of priorties. I have kids and I'm spread so thin I only have 1 side, but I make sure I get my workouts in. If it's important to you, there's always time.

I am 5'9 180 and appendix carry a sig p229, I use a n82(nate squared holster)it helps with the gun digging in. I usually wear a t-shirt between the holster and my skin and that also helps.

I started wearing it around the house and before I knew it i almost forgot that it was there. I agree it needs to be adjusted for driving etc. I personally like having my gun right in front of me easily accessible. It took some time getting used to having it point at my "equipment" but that too passed with time

Just started carrying and always thought I was going to appendix carry. So what do I do I go get the pistol I want and an appendix holster and yes uncomfortable. Great when I'm standing and walking around. The second I sit or bed over. Yra sucks.

Just started carrying and always thought I was going to appendix carry. So what do I do I go get the pistol I want and an appendix holster and yes uncomfortable. Great when I'm standing and walking around. The second I sit or bed over. Yra sucks.

No one can tell you. Different people have different bodies. What works for someone else may not work for you. My buddy carries his Glock 19 in a Comptac Appendix Holster. I tried that same holster and gun, and it just doesn't work for me -- uncomfortable, not stable, prints too much.

Smaller guns in a Stickey holster seem to work well for me. You can reposition the Stickey, high or low or forward or back in the waistband to allow for sitting or driving.

I'm always discreetly pulling up the holster when i hop in the car or sit down to eat.
You learn to kneel down instead of bend over to pick something up.
It's a bit give and take but it conceals the best for me at work.
I'm on my feet all day at work, but if i was sitting down a good amount of time i don't see this working,, especially if you have a gut.
Also it might be the holster.

So your handle is sweetjeep and you drive a VW [rofl]

Amusing yes. But I also have 4 Jeeps.

(1) '50 CJ 3a
(1) '50 M38 (military cj3a)
(1) '51 M38
and a '99 Cherokee.

SO THERE!!

As to my actual problem.. good.. I am glad I am not the only one who can't figure it out. I figured I was just a retard who couldn't figure this out. Turns out I am just a retard.

As for the gun/holster. It's generally a p3at or a PM9. So they don't get too much smaller. The holster has been a Blackhawk size 4 which is little more than a piece of neoprene with a clip on it.

I do have a Crossbreed for the hip which is really nice. It makes the hip carry, even in the car, more or less a non issue. But it's not the most convenient thing in the world.

Last edited:
SOB carry is a terrible idea for all sorts of reasons. I also have a VW with those sweet GTI seats. Very difficult to get at the gun when seated. I just jam it between the seat and the center console.

You might be carrying too low? Try shifting the position to 1230 and for me I tweaked my holster by adding some micro cell foam at the bottom where the holster hits near my pubic bone. It is about 3/4" thick and pushes the bottom out just enough so it doesn't dig in.

I do alot of driving at work in a small car with sport type seats. I carry at about the 4 to 5 o'clock position and high on the belt. The gun ends up in that wrap around area of the seat and between the cushion of that and the cushion of my love handles I forget its there.

I'm 5'11" 175lbs. I appendix carry all the time, and i love it. I've tried IWB holsters, but i hate the extra accessory hanging off me and the extra bulk it adds, and i also don't like to wear belts, especially in the summer. I picked up one of those Glock belt clips and i'd never carry any other way. I used to appendix carry a G23 which wasn't bad, just had to make an adjustment when i hopped in the truck, but other than that it never bothered me that much. Then i got a G27 and it carries great, I still have to adjust a little when driving but overall much better than the G23.

I wore a 1911 in a Crossbreed in an R32. Those seats were about as sporting (read: thick bolsters) as you can get. I'm 6', 240 lbs. I sat more "on" them than "in" them.

-JR

Back
Top Bottom