• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how the heck does one appendix carry?!

If your only issue is when seated in your vehicle I recommend you unholster it and use the center console.....that's my routine.....then reholster when I'm getting out. I carry a DA only revolver btw

I have to do this when driving my Terminator with super snug side bolster seats. This car is the only one that's a problem (because of the seats), but it's still a pain to have to take my gun out and then remember to take it with me again when I get out of the car! For me it isn't so much that it is uncomfortable, but rather that the gun with deform the leather and foam on the side bolster, and since it's pretty much a show car, I don't like that. I do occasionally appendix carry with a Thunderwear holster, and this is a viable option for deep concealment, but forget about ever drawing if you are sitting in a car. Even drawing from standing up is far from efficient inmo, but having a gun where it would otherwise would be home in the safe makes it a fair tadeoff.

If you really want to know all about AIWB, start here.

Great little read but I couldn't help but notice one thing: All the folks described in the linked OP were professional gunslingers. So when a finish carpenter tells someone how handy it is have a hammer swinging off his belt it may not be fully appreciated by the homeowner looking hang a few picture frames.

Thanks for link just the same. I enjoy a fresh perspective...

Have me one of these on order for my M&P 40c, cant wait to get it.

400_ac-main.png

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/AppendixCarry.aspx

I have been thinking about getting a holster for appendix carry. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have a Thunderwear holster, which is essentially a double pocket cloth belt with velcro. It is excellent for deep concealment and I can carry a spare mag in the extra pocket. I like that it can be used to stash a wallet, or other stuff besides a gun. It is very comfortable. There is also a similar design by one of our forum sponsors (I think they are called 3 Speed holsters, or something like that). They have a banner at the top and after looking at their site, I plan to get one at some point to try out.

I have been thinking about getting a holster for appendix carry. Anyone have any recommendations?

I've tried a couple for my Glock 19 without success. I first tried the Raven Concealment ACR. I found it to be uncomfortable and with the stabilizer it was a pain to get on and off.

I next tried the Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock. I found this to be a bit more comfortable than the ACR, but it moves around too much. If I can wear my pants higher than normal and position the holster properly, it is reasonably comfortable and doesn't print that much. But as soon as I sit down, the butt of the gun rotates down and out. When I stand up, it prints horribly.

I may try a CrossBreed appendix holster.

I'm 5' 9" and about 175, but I do have a gut, which is a problem with appendix holsters.

I hear ya but I am slowly coming around. Ive heard from some that AIWB can be safer than IWB say at 3/4 oclock. A caught trigger in the Appendix may shoot you in the jewels but a caught trigger at 3/4 oclock could hit your fermoral artery which would kill you pretty quickly.

I keep telling myself that guns don't just "go off". And as long as i'm mindfull when holstering/unholstering, chances of an accident should be minimal. Helps ease my concerns. A little anyway.

I've never been comfortable with muzzle-near-junk carry. No thanks.

With the different holsters I have, I can appendix carry any firearm I want to. Sig P226, P6, Glock 19, Glock19 with Lightguard, J frame S&W, and now a Shield 9mm.

I am currently working with Doyle Burdette of Burdette Custom holsters on a new design. I have been wearing the second prototype since Friday, have made a couple suggestions for mods and will be getting another prototype in a week or so.

The key I have found is the holster design must pull the gun butt toward you while tilting the muzzle slightly away from the body.

You will need to develop less sensitivity where the muzzle hits which will sometimes become sore the first couple days. I found it goes away.

I am by no means thin. (Big Boned [rofl]) Over the years (yes, I am old) I have tried a lot of different types of holsters and even consulted at one time with John Bianchi on a design that he eventually made. (Remember the upside down shoulder holster?) You have to be willing to compromise something to get concealment and fit. Eventually, you find what works.

Anyone wishing to try something I have for the guns listed above, let me know. I even have a left hand J frame holster from Alessi (RIP LOU) and a left hand for my P6 from Burdette (A great guy to deal with).

Hope this helps.

I IWB appendix carry. While I no longer have a 6-pack, I'm far from in shape and have a few extra inches on my waist. If I'm walking around, I don't even notice it's there. If I'm sitting at a restaurant or movie theatre, I'm also pretty comfortable, but may have to occasionally adjust it. Cars are another story, though, and if I'm driving more than a few miles I pop it off my belt and into the door storage.

I keep it pointed to the femoral so I can bleed out quick and not suffer.
I tell people the same thing. When they see how I carry, they usually ask how I can have it pointed at my junk. I reply that it's not - it's right at my femoral artery so if I'm dumb enough to shoot myself I'll bleed to death, but my boys will be just fine. [laugh]

That is something that you have to accept with AIWB carry - if you screw up you may well die. So be darn careful or use a different type of carry.

I hear ya but I am slowly coming around. Ive heard from some that AIWB can be safer than IWB say at 3/4 oclock. A caught trigger in the Appendix may shoot you in the jewels but a caught trigger at 3/4 oclock could hit your fermoral artery which would kill you pretty quickly.

I keep telling myself that guns don't just "go off". And as long as i'm mindfull when holstering/unholstering, chances of an accident should be minimal. Helps ease my concerns. A little anyway.

I am not a doctor, but you may want to look at the human anatomy. It's not pointed at the femoral artery at 3-4 o clock. Appendix 12-1 it can be.

If you allow your muzzle to point at your own body when you reholster, and it doesn't matter whether you're carrying OWB at 3 o'clock, OWB at 6 o'clock, IWB at 4 o'clock, or AIWB, if you allow your muzzle to point at your body when you reholster, you may shoot yourself. That is a fact.

On the other hand, if you: a. choose a safe pistol, and; b. choose a safe holster, and; c. holster carefully, deliberately, and with complete control of the muzzle, there is no way that that you can shoot yourself.
The issue is muzzle control, and trigger finger control; where your holster is located really doesn't matter.

Critics who say that the AIWB holster can allow the pistol to point at the femoral artery are correct; what they seem to be missing is that - while seated in the (safe) holster - the (safe) pistol is not going to go off by itself.
The only thing that the operator needs to do is: a. choose a safe pistol, and; b. choose a safe holster, and; c. holster carefully, deliberately, and with complete control of the muzzle.
Even with AIWB, there is no need for the operator to point the muzzle at his or her body at any time. It doesn't matter whether it's AIWB or OWB on the leg or IWB at or behind the hip.

If a pistol operator is allowing the pistol muzzle to "muzzle" his or her own body while holstering, he or she is doing it wrong.

I carry AIWB with a G26 in a Dale Fricke Archangel. Like most here, I've got a drawer full of holsters including Crossbreed, shoulder rig, Thunderwear, those silly spandex T-shirt pouches, belly band, ankle, Mika pocket holster, and--yes--a fanny pack holster. I've given them all a good try and AIWB works best for me (5'10" 170 lbs, a little flabby these days but no real gut).

As for the "shooting your boys/femoral artery" concerns--the gun is not going to fire on its own, as long as you have a quality holster. So the most dangerous thing is reholstering, when clothing can get in between the trigger and the trigger guard. And that can be said for any carry method. I think that being able to easily put eyeballs on the process (like with AIWB) is much safer than craning your neck or doing it blind (like with 3-4 o'clock carry). So in my HUMBLE opinion, AIWB wins even where most think it is more dangerous: the chances of shooting yourself in a deadly or cringe-worthy spot.

I AIWB as well. I have TheBetty holster from Looper. It has an adjustable cant that makes it easy to reposition while sitting.

I use a Tagua IWB leathet holster for my 9c. Very comfy and no problems. Always keep the eye as mentioned and finger control when reholstering and no accidents should happen.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

With the different holsters I have, I can appendix carry any firearm I want to. Sig P226, P6, Glock 19, Glock19 with Lightguard, J frame S&W, and now a Shield 9mm.

I am currently working with Doyle Burdette of Burdette Custom holsters on a new design. I have been wearing the second prototype since Friday, have made a couple suggestions for mods and will be getting another prototype in a week or so.

The key I have found is the holster design must pull the gun butt toward you while tilting the muzzle slightly away from the body.

You will need to develop less sensitivity where the muzzle hits which will sometimes become sore the first couple days. I found it goes away.

I am by no means thin. (Big Boned [rofl]) Over the years (yes, I am old) I have tried a lot of different types of holsters and even consulted at one time with John Bianchi on a design that he eventually made. (Remember the upside down shoulder holster?) You have to be willing to compromise something to get concealment and fit. Eventually, you find what works.

Anyone wishing to try something I have for the guns listed above, let me know. I even have a left hand J frame holster from Alessi (RIP LOU) and a left hand for my P6 from Burdette (A great guy to deal with).

Hope this helps.

PM incoming!

I'm 5'11 155lbs, so I'm fairly thin, no gut.
Curious about appendix carry, I usually carry IWB somewhere between 3-5 o'clock

Back
Top Bottom