How NOT to draw your gun

• Thread starter Finalygotabeltfed
  • Start date
Somehow or another I -knew- it was a SERPA before he even showed the holster. Not that it's the holsters fault exclusively, but that POS pretty much lends itself to this sort of thing.

-Mike

I used to be subbed to that guy way before he thought he was a high-speed low-drag operator, and this is the first time I have liked one of his videos in a couple of years. lol

The problem was he was training with two pieces of equipment that were different yet somewhat the same. He disengaged the thumbsafety due to being used to how the 5-11 thumb release worked on the 5-11 holster he previously was using. Secondly he did not drag the trigger finger against the serpa button, he pushed against it with the tip of his finger. The combination off all these things led up to the accident. Its part training and part equipment. The serpa design in my opinion is more likely to cause an AD if the user is not activating the release in the proper way. Blackhawk specifically advocate dragging the trigger finger across the release button and never using the pad of the finger to push in and against the release. YMMV

This is a particular reason I don't want any guns with any manual type of "safeties" on them. But then again don't like any type of defensive holster with a thumb break or any type of manual release tension device on it.

I don't think the safeties or the holster are to blame. It booger hook on bang switch as the culprit. Yes the Serpas make it tough to draw clean with a finger off trigger but the safety isn't an issue. You should be clearing the safety on the draw anyway.
He seemed pretty stand up about it anyway.

Boy he was lucky that it was a thru and thru. He could have blown his knee to a million pieces.

At least he admitted he was wrong and didn't blame the holster.

I agree with stinx , he shouldn't have been practicing with two different style holsters, that's asking for trouble.

+2 he is lucky

Boy he was lucky that it was a thru and thru. He could have blown his knee to a million pieces.

At least he admitted he was wrong and didn't blame the holster.

I agree with stinx , he shouldn't have been practicing with two different style holsters, that's asking for trouble.

Evolution is pretty smart ... which is why the femoral artery is located on the inside.

Amazing - "his training took over".

If you really want a retention holster, then get a Safariland ALS holster.

Blade tech seems to make a few decent ones too... none of which involve putting your trigger finger near the bang switch.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom