How NOT to draw your gun

• Thread starter Finalygotabeltfed
  • Start date
Wrong. A gun is not to be taken off safety until pointed at the target.

(IDPA Marksman, CDP)

Definitely different schools of thought on this one, especially with 1911s. However, I would disagree because of the training scar it would leave - in a situation, my 1911 would be off safe (with finger off trigger) the moment I suspected targets. I don't want to have to flick safe and then trigger. Yeah, it's damn fast to operate a 1911 thumb safe with a thumbs-forward two hand grip, but I'm still not waiting around, and introducing another step to the process.

On a lighter note, this guy's dumbass video should be required watching for all LTC holders, along with the black cop with dreadlocks who shoots himself through foot. ("I'm the only one in this room qualified..." :)

EDIT -- I motioned through the 1911 draw stroke I'd been taught, and I disengage the thumb safe when my OSH finishes supporting the strong hand grip, right around a high ready position. Trying to mess with it in any other part of my draw stroke is not cool with me, although of course YMMV.

Last edited:
I appreciate that the guy flat out says it's his fault.

Pilots often speak of accident chains. Numerous small events lead up to an accident, break any link in the chain and the accident doesn't occur. He was practicing with 2 different types of retention holsters...he swiped the safety off while the gun was in the holster, due to this...he was having trouble releasing the gun from the retention...his finger entered the trigger guard...his finger pulled the trigger. Break one of those links, it wouldn't have happened. He probably also was experiencing complacency bred through familiarity with the action of drawing, and the fact that he wasn't engaging a target that presented any difficulty.

I would never have the safety off any of my 1911s until I was damn sure that muzzle was clear of my soft, fleshy bits. Yeah, I know to keep my finger out of the trigger guard until the gun is pointed where I want to shoot, but I've got that extra layer of protection on there, I might as well use it, and single action triggers can be pretty light, sometimes.

(IDPA Marksman, CDP)

Unadulterated BS. Just not true in gunfight training. Whether it's in a book or not, it is not practiced that way by people who like breathing. Nor do people wait to chamber the first round or load a mag until they are ready to shoot when they carry (unless in CA). The fact that it might get you a second and a half procedural does not hold any weightt with those training to actually defend themselves. You can keep on doing it if you like but the failure of a mechanical safety has NEVER harmed anyone. The harmful failure happens before the safety has a chance to do it's job.

Regardless, this event does not occur if he keeps his finger off the trigger until he is on target.

(IDPA Marksman, CDP)

Dude

Seriously? Those are some impressive credentials you bring to the table.

1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Er, ah, uh... right....

Seeing as how my glock, M&P and Sig don't have external safeties, they are not going to be pleased when I tell them this...

Serpa retention mechanism blows if it puts your finger in that position pushing in toward the trigger guard/trigger. No, no, no, and no...

Last edited by a moderator:
Er, ah, uh... right....

Seeing as how my glock, M&P and Sig don't have external safeties, they are not going to be pleased when I tell them this...

Serpa retention mechanism blows if it puts your finger in that position pushing in toward the trigger guard/trigger. No, no, no, and no...

+1

LMFAO

WELL said sir!

When someone Says "my training kicked in" that always means something bad happened haha...he's very lucky to be alive, if that was a hollow point his femur/leg would be totally ripped apart

Originally Posted by Molon.Labe View Post

(IDPA Marksman, CDP)

So how does IDPA feel about Sigs since there is no manual safety on them? I'm concerned I bought a defective and dangerous weapon all of a sudden. I always assumed it wouldn't fire unless I was an idiot and put my finger on the trigger before I was ready to shoot, but you have shown me the light!

When someone Says "my training kicked in" that always means something bad happened haha...
You forgot, "so, I called my parents." [laugh]

Joking aside, I am glad he's ok and kudos to him for owning it and pointing out something someone else WILL do. That design is broken. I don't care what anyone says, I never really considered a retention holster for CCW, but if I did, it would be a thumb break. Anything that has you pushing your trigger finger toward the trigger is broken by design.

Calling you parents after getting shot is part of your training?
+1 Good idea, out in the boonies, you call first someone that knows where you are (your ICE contact) on your phone is probably best. If you you go LOC they can call and make sure EMS gets to you. I was alone at our barn two years ago and had hay conveyor fell and hit me in the head. (275 pounds) first call to wife. She could then relay to EMS if I passed out.
Dude was stand up about it.

Or the draw-n-rack, like Mossad!

Wait, wouldn't that be the draw-n-rack-rack-rack, to account for the empty pipe and two snap caps? Man this stuff is hard! I think I'll just keep hanging my gun on the hook on the back of the craphouse door.

It seemed like a pretty tame and level headed response when considering the entry and exit locations. At first I though he just grazed his leg.
Which is something everyone should take note of in their understanding of what it means to use a firearm for self defense.

Particularly the "shoot to wound" idiots. The human body is designed to take a lot of abuse and keep moving in the very short term. Just putting holes in it provides ZERO guarantee of instantaneous incapacitation.

Which is something everyone should take note of in their understanding of what it means to use a firearm for self defense.

Particularly the "shoot to wound" idiots. The human body is designed to take a lot of abuse and keep moving in the very short term. Just putting holes in it provides ZERO guarantee of instantaneous incapacitation.

So true....This also shows that .45 ACP doesn't completely knock a man off his feet no matter where you hit him. Though I still CCW a .45 [wink]

watch his pants in the slo-mo you can see the round travel, amazed he didn't have more bruising

My professional opinion is that he's somewhat, shall we say, rotund? Based on the angle of entry/exit I'm guessing he barely even hit muscle.

Back
Top Bottom