How many of us are guilty of what not to do when CCW

My usual is a Kel-Tec P-3AT as I often have to change into scrubs and cleanroom suits, or a Kahr P45 when I can't carry my Sig P220. When carrying "light", my usual dead give-away (for those in-the-know) is the self pat-down to see if I actually remembered to carry that day.

The P-3AT and Kahr P45 are just so light you don't know they are there.

I guarantee that each and every one of you are guilty of at least one. Most are doing it without even realizing it. Especially the security checks and favoring the holstered area while running.

I can say this because I am also guilty of it. No matter what type and how good a holster it is you are going to do it whether you realize it or not.[wink]

Not me. I use a body hugging leather IWB holster with two belt clips, one on each side of the gun (Tucker Texas Heritage). It doesn't (can't) move nor does the gun, whether using stairs or running. That's the main reason I abandoned single clip holsters - they're horrible in this regard. The two-clip is also thinner, so I don't have to resort to wearing out of place clothing etc. Admittedly it's not as comfortable as a single-clip IWB, or an OWB, but it does its job so well I often forget I'm wearing it. That also explains why I don't move or act in an obvious manner when someone approaches me, head on or whatever.

Not me. I use a body hugging leather IWB holster with two belt clips, one on each side of the gun (Tucker Texas Heritage). It doesn't (can't) move nor does the gun, whether using stairs or running. That's the main reason I abandoned single clip holsters - they're horrible in this regard. The two-clip is also thinner, so I don't have to resort to wearing out of place clothing etc. Admittedly it's not as comfortable as a single-clip IWB, or an OWB, but it does its job so well I often forget I'm wearing it. That also explains why I don't move or act in an obvious manner when someone approaches me, head on or whatever.

+1

bEpOuuF0+oaKBUx9GYMd-qK6pzbjE-Hj0300.jpg

A lot of this has nothing to do with the quality of holster. It has to do with a sub-conscious reaction.

Many people who carry with a high quality holster do "security checks" periodically and do not even realize they are doing it.

Many people who run will do a "security check" or place their hands on the gun even with a high quality holster without realizing they are doing so.

I have a very good holster/belt set-up and I am guilty of it.

A lot of this has nothing to do with the quality of holster. It has to do with a sub-conscious reaction.

Many people who carry with a high quality holster do "security checks" periodically and do not even realize they are doing it.

Many people who run will do a "security check" or place their hands on the gun even with a high quality holster without realizing they are doing so.

I have a very good holster/belt set-up and I am guilty of it.

+1 to that. I don't care what anyone says, you will print at some point with any IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, ankle holster, with perhaps the exception of the groin holster. I generally don't look there. If it looks like Dirk Diggler, then it must be.

Call it what you will, insulin pump or hot lead injector to those who ask but keep you head up and act cool. It's all about attitude while carrying. You play it off well, no one is going to care or notice that bulge.

Call it what you will, insulin pump or hot lead injector to those who ask
I prefer to say "colostomy bag", but I have not yet had a chance to use the line.

The tells described in post #1 of this thread would be most useful to officers working in non-permissive environments where the chances of a non-LEO legally carrying are zero or close to it. It's probably not productive to challenge everyone exhibiting the tells in a place like MA with many licenses issued on a discretionary basis, and even less productive in shall issue states.

And, he missed one - adjusting your shirt or coat tail when exiting a car.

+1

Most sheeple maintain the situational awareness of fresh fruit anyway and probably wouldn't notice a CCW unless it was screaming at them.

I wouldn't be so sure of yourself. Don't for one minute underestimate the lack of awareness by sheep. I strongly disagree that they would notice even if it had a siren and blinking lights on it playing " Jamie's got a gun"

I dont think that its people dont notice, I think its based more on the carriers appearence. Most touch-holes dont carry in a holster....

I dont think that its people dont notice, I think its based more on the carriers appearence.

I disagree. I was at Brooks Brothers in Boston a few years back getting a new suit. I was wearing a white dress shirt, tie, a black Kimber in a holster on my right side, and shiny Wilson Combat magazines on my left side. The woman 5 feet away never saw either as I tried on suit coats.

I disagree. I was at Brooks Brothers in Boston a few years back getting a new suit. I was wearing a white dress shirt, tie, a black Kimber in a holster on my right side, and shiny Wilson Combat magazines on my left side. The woman 5 feet away never saw either as I tried on suit coats.

Probably thought you were some sort of detective.

Probably thought you were some sort of detective.

Actually, I watched several of them. I don't think they ever even saw my gun. They weren't looking at me. They were looking at the clothes on sale. The most dangerous place in the world is between a middle-aged house-frau and the 30% off rack...

one of the things i'm guilty of doing is keeping my hand close to the gun while stepping off curbs and going down stairs..(mainly to prevent any wiggles and jiggles from showing)

no CCing IWB holster here,just a Galco matrix OWB for OCing.

BTW-i've been thinking of getting one of these wallets to end having to twist or reach past my gun to get to my wallet.
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...UbUxl6mnoLnkwR0g&q=http://www.RogueWallet.com

(not to get off topic,sorry)

Last edited:
And, he missed one - adjusting your shirt or coat tail when exiting a car.

I am guilty of this mainly because I am using a Don Hume H721 O.T. made for my XD with my 1911. Having a 1911 at 3 o'clock is rather uncomfortable in the car. Man I need a new holster...

The public will never notice. This is more of an issue for people interacting with LEO's. I did a ride along with a friend who is a veteran cop. His ability to spot guys with guns was amazing. His easiest mark was guys adjusting the gun as they got out of the car. It didn't matter whether it was a custom pancake holster or a thug with a gun in his pocket.

He could pick them all out.

Draw speed depends on exactly what you mean by groin carry. If the grip is above the beltline, 12:30 - 2:00 is faster than out on the hip. I agree that the smartcarry is probably slow. Once I lose some weight, I plan to try carrying in front of the hip ("appendix carry").

I agree on the ND danger. I certainly wouldn't carry a Sig there. [wink]

If it's faster, why have I never seen a speed shooter using this style of carry?

Maybe competition rules limit where you can carry, but demonstration shooters don't have that limitation, yet they still shoot from hip.

They forgot to mention woman walking with purse on right shoulder, left hand on purse strap, and right hand IN the purse.. [laugh] Not that my gun is ever in my purse, I just know things..[wink]

If it's faster, why have I never seen a speed shooter using this style of carry?

Maybe competition rules limit where you can carry, but demonstration shooters don't have that limitation, yet they still shoot from hip.

Check out USPSA open shooters. The race holsters are almost always worn in front of the hip. IDPA and USPSA Production don't allow it.

Try 4 o'clock. Seriously.

Then I print REAL bad. To the point where a quarter of the grip is sticking out. The forward cant on this holster is not designed for a 1911, the cant is meant for my XD subcompact. For now it works until I get a proper holster for my 1911. It helps that I live in NH, and that everyone is oblivious anyway.

After buying winter tires and brakes, a new holster and belt are my next purchases.

The public will never notice. This is more of an issue for people interacting with LEO's. I did a ride along with a friend who is a veteran cop. His ability to spot guys with guns was amazing. His easiest mark was guys adjusting the gun as they got out of the car. It didn't matter whether it was a custom pancake holster or a thug with a gun in his pocket.

How was it veriufied that every one he ID'd was in fact carrying agun -- did he stop and check each one and go "bingo!!", or did he just say "That guy has a gun, and so does that guy" as you were driving along?

I call bs on this. How many guys did he spot and then check?

Back
Top Bottom