How many mags do you CCW with?

Just wondering how many mags (and what capacity) do you typically CCW with? I'm carrying a Sig P226RM 9mm these days with a pre-ban 15-round mag and am wondering how many additional mags I should carry with me on my belt.

One spare 10 round mag when I carry the S&W M&P .40, one spare 17 round mag when I carry the G17, and 2 five round speed strips when I carry the S&W 642.

Typically I carry one single magazine equal to or better than the primary magazine.

Many moons ago I was of the mindset that the spare mag was too tactical for my needs, M.O., run to the store for milk....until I got into live fire drills and experienced mag issues or target surprises.

Now I preach it. Carry a spare, even if its to balance out your belt, carry a spare at all times.

As times change my loadout stands at one hi-cap, a secondary and if I'm in town, a third to balance out the secondary.

Just wondering how many mags (and what capacity) do you typically CCW with? I'm carrying a Sig P226RM 9mm these days with a pre-ban 15-round mag and am wondering how many additional mags I should carry with me on my belt.

Take it for what its worth (free!), but...

You can poke around on the net, but everything I've ever seen says that # of shots fired in self defense is pretty low. For example, I saw one analysis of NYPD officer shootings that showed an average of 2-3 rounds per incident, per officer...

It's very difficult to really predict what you will need since you cannot really predict what is going to happen when. If you could - you would not go there... [wink]

My personal opinion is that if I need more than one 10/15rd mag, I will need more than I can carry[wink]

15+1 is a lot if you use it well... If you find yourself fending off a crowd of zombies well, you can curse my username... I apologize in advance.[laugh]

Carry what you can carry comfortably. More importantly, practice so that your first shots are effective rather than panic...

I've been carrying 1 extra mag. I just purchased a double mag pouch that I think I'll start using. That way I'll have a little more if I need it to get home some day.
I was sitting at the hospital yesterday morning and the lights went out. I'm talking total darkness. Not a sliver of light. I was wishing I had a case of ammo. Then about a minute later the generators kicked in. Really made me think.

I've been carrying 1 extra mag. I just purchased a double mag pouch that I think I'll start using. That way I'll have a little more if I need it to get home some day.
I was sitting at the hospital yesterday morning and the lights went out. I'm talking total darkness. Not a sliver of light. I was wishing I had a case of ammo. Then about a minute later the generators kicked in. Really made me think.

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!!!!!

The most common equipment failures when TSHTF are magazine-related. If you're not carrying at least one spare mag, it's quite possible that you'll be out of the fight long before you exhaust the contents of that first mag. Two is one; one is none.

Ken

The most common equipment failures when TSHTF are magazine-related. If you're not carrying at least one spare mag, it's quite possible that you'll be out of the fight long before you exhaust the contents of that first mag. Two is one; one is none.

Ken

This is the mindset I carry with (with a quick, silent prayer that I will never need the initial round in the chamber, let alone any others).

Take it for what its worth (free!), but...

You can poke around on the net, but everything I've ever seen says that # of shots fired in self defense is pretty low. For example, I saw one analysis of NYPD officer shootings that showed an average of 2-3 rounds per incident, per officer...

It's very difficult to really predict what you will need since you cannot really predict what is going to happen when. If you could - you would not go there... [wink]

My personal opinion is that if I need more than one 10/15rd mag, I will need more than I can carry[wink]

15+1 is a lot if you use it well... If you find yourself fending off a crowd of zombies well, you can curse my username... I apologize in advance.[laugh]

Carry what you can carry comfortably. More importantly, practice so that your first shots are effective rather than panic...

In a revolver I'd tend to agree. A spare mag in a semi is cheap insurance, though.

In a revolver I'd tend to agree. A spare mag in a semi is cheap insurance, though.
Definitely a decent point - can't argue with the failed mag concept except to say that I don't carry something I'd suspect that was even a fraction of the possibility of me fumbling a mag change under duress[laugh]

I'm sure Mr Murphy will remember that if my time ever did come and kick me square in the groin with hang fires, FTEs and a dropped mag to go along with the GSW and missing wallet... [laugh]

I generally carry a USP 40, 12+1 with no spare. I've never had a major failure with the mags I have, I've fired thousands of rounds through it.

I've done force on force FX scenarios and have never reloaded during the situation. While not exactly the same as a two way firing line, getting hit with FX is enough to make it fairly stressfull since they do tend to sting quite a bit.

Ken

This is the mindset I carry with (with a quick, silent prayer that I will never need the initial round in the chamber, let alone any others).

This.

People tend to think of ammunition as equal to firepower, which it is, but in the extent of gunplay or self-defense, its fuel.

Since the odds of using my S&W 340PD in a defensive encounter is so remote (I can only hope), the tremendous odds of having to fire five plus rounds place me in the "I'll take my chances carrying no more than five in the wheel" catagory.

Definitely a decent point - can't argue with the failed mag concept except to say that I don't carry something I'd suspect that was even a fraction of the possibility of me fumbling a mag change under duress[laugh]
I agree with this completely.

I'm sure Mr Murphy will remember that if my time ever did come and kick me square in the groin with hang fires, FTEs and a dropped mag to go along with the GSW and missing wallet... [laugh]
I agree with this completely as well [wink].

I recall once when I was at the S&W range testing a batch of my first reloads I had a failure to feed on the first round(it wasn't my best work, lol). Went to do the tap/rack/bang routine and accidentally hit the mag release in the process. Just felt like a jackass at the time, but in a fight that would be a bad thing, especially if that was my only mag. Of course it would be dark out, and I'd likely be standing over a storm drain or an interstellar wormhole or something something and the mag would be gone forever.

Ayoob had a good piece on the legal issues associated with carrying spare mags a few years back. Easier to paint you as a psychopath. Same thing with a back up piece. For whatever it's worth.
With all due deference to Mr Ayoob... I'd rather have to pay Darius or Keith to get me out of that position than be fumbling with a balky or empty gun. So there's always a spare mag for whatever semi I'm packing, or a spare speedloader for the wheelgun. I'd rather have it and not need it...

I almost always carry at least one spare mag, somewhere on my person.

-Mike

I'd rather have a flashlight than a case of ammo in that situation. I carry two flashlights. I generally carry one spare mag in my pocket. A belt carrier would be faster, but I'm willing to make the tradeoff for concealability reasons.

Ayoob had a good piece on the legal issues associated with carrying spare mags a few years back. Easier to paint you as a psychopath. Same thing with a back up piece.

The more I think on this (and the words of a few notable posters here - you know who you are), the more I like the words of General "Stonewall" Jackson: "Never take counsel of your fears."

Back
Top Bottom