How many mags do you CCW with?

G23 with 13+1 in...and 75% of the time, a 10 rounder in weak-side pocket. (need to get me a preban G22 mag for spare carry)

if im in the vehicle, ill snag (2) 10 rounds and toss em in the console.

Originally Posted by Timber
Ayoob had a good piece on the legal issues associated with carrying spare mags a few years back. Easier to paint you as a psychopath. Same thing with a back up piece.

Ayoob is a proponet of carrying a back up gun and always caryying spare ammo for whatever weapon you are carrying. Ayoob has wrote numerous articles praising the availibilty of back up guns and reloads. The Police Dept he works part time at issues back up weapons to its officers.

I believe that more ammo equals more stress

What? So having a spare mag that's hard to get to is MORE stressful than having NO AMMO LEFT? I understand the argument about carrying spare ammo not being worth it because of the effort involved when not in a fight, but not carrying spare ammo because it'll make the fight harder makes no sense.

I would hate to see what would happen in court trying to defend unload multiple high cap mags to defend your self.

Not saying it's a bad idea to have more than one mag just think shot placement trumps a bunch of ammo.

I believe that it is stressful enough to get into a real gun fight, and I believe that more ammo equals more stress, if we even realize and can find those extra mags while in the fight. Many people will say that training for those things will make you calm and ready, sorry to say but it is not true. If we think about it, we can’t most of the time shoot like we shoot in a range during a normal competition, so imagine about a real gun fight.

Talking about Murphy, if the 1st mag fails, who can tell me that the second one (if I have time enough to reach it and load the gun) will not fail?

We have a winner for idiot post of the year.

Good God, where to start?

No offense intended, but I certainly hope the person you shoot knows how much you've been practicing your first round placement at the range when it doesn't phase them. Fatal wounds often don't stop people, including head shots.

You need to bring enough gun and ammo to end the fight. Sometimes showing a gun is enough to end a confrontation, sometimes 17 fatal wounds center of mass aren't enough.

You won't know how many rounds are enough until the fight is over. You will know how many rounds aren't enough when you run out in the middle of a gunfight, or when you have a magazine failure/malfunction that renders your M&P (with a magazine disconnect "safety," I might add) useless in your hands.

My M&P doesnt have the mag disconnect feature. The only one that did was my full size 40 that was a LEO gun. My compact and full size 9mm both say on the side "CAUTION - CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED"

Well if a few shots of Winchester Rangers to the face and chest doesnt stop whoever Im firing at I probably shouldnt have been in that situation in the first place. With all of the rounds Ive run thru my mags I havent had a magazine malfunction or break. Wait I retract that. I bent the feedlips one of my AR mags when I released it onto concrete. I read a few people saying they had M&P mags break? Where was the breakage and what were the circumstances around the breakage?

I carry my m&p9c with 12+1. If I'm wearing a jacket I'll carry another 12 rounder in the left pocket. I rarely carry a second mag in my pants pocket and I havent gotten around to picking up a spare mag belt pouch yet.

Wow. I'm surprised at some of the answers in here [shocked]

I carry a G26 with an extra 10rnd mag or a G19 with an extra 15rnd mag.

The extra mag is carried in this:

A Joab Horizontal Mag Pouch
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1509

It's out of the way, doesn't stick into my side, and conceals amazingly well. And I usually don't tuck in my shirt (only did for the photos) so a T-shirt is more than enough to conceal the extra mag.

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Never use cheap mags either. I've been using Wilson's in my 1911's and havent had any issues.
I don't like cheap mages, either - their spells always wear off at just the wrong times... [wink]

Seriously, I've had great luck with the Chip McCormick mags for my .45. For the Kahr, it's factory mags all the time.

It's out of the way, doesn't stick into my side, and conceals amazingly well. And I usually don't tuck in my shirt (only did for the photos) so a T-shirt is more than enough to conceal the extra mag.

I like that better than the setup I used to have. If I used a lefthanded shooter setup I could still carry my Fire Dept pager on that side behind the mag pouch. I carry way too much gear on my belt. Im glad I started to carry my cell in my front pocket.

I used to carry two spare mags. When I realized how important having a flashlight is, I exchanged one spare mag for a light. I now carry 1 spare mag, 1 light, and pepper spray in addition to my primary and back up guns.

To date, there has been no cases that we know of where a private citizen had to reload during a gun fight--that doesn't mean it won't happen. It is also a good idea to reload after a gunfight. With the magazine being the weakest link in the system, a spare is a good idea.

+3 for posting that, i have been trying to find it [laugh]

I used to carry two spare mags. When I realized how important having a flashlight is, I exchanged one spare mag for a light. I now carry 1 spare mag, 1 light, and pepper spray in addition to my primary and back up guns.
David, what do you use to carry all that - do you have separate holsters for each, or a multipurpose holster? can you post a pic?

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg
That mag carrier is the shiznit!

Definitely looks more comfortable the the traditional vertical orientation, plus to the world it looks like some phone/blackberry on your belt if it prints.

I will post a pic when I can nab someone to take one for me.

I find the double carriers that I own uncomfortable so I use a single vertical carrier for my light and another for my mag on my left side, behind my hip (spare mag first, light behind it)

I carry pepper spray in a horizontal carrier on my left side, forward of the hip (http://armory.jsholsters.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2110)

Everything is quite comfortable

+3 for posting that, i have been trying to find it [laugh]

[smile]

That mag carrier is the shiznit!

Definitely looks more comfortable the the traditional vertical orientation, plus to the world it looks like some phone/blackberry on your belt if it prints.

It IS the shiznit [laugh] Honestly... anyone who wants to carry a spare mag but doesn't want to carry it in their pockets... this is the most comfortable/concealable way I've found.

I will post a pic when I can nab someone to take one for me.

I carry pepper spray in a horizontal carrier on my left side, forward of the hip (http://armory.jsholsters.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2110)

Everything is quite comfortable

I'd like to see photos too. Especially of the horizontal carrier you use for the pepper spray [grin]

If I was ccw'ing it be a loaded firearm. period. the odds of the aliens landing, or being in a bank while its robbed , Id let it get robbed, its insured FDIC. jmo

Sometimes spare mag, sometimes not.

Regardless, I always have a fully loaded glock on me. Most often the G30.

When I carry the G26, I have a 33 rounder as a spare. :)

If I was ccw'ing it be a loaded firearm. period. the odds of the aliens landing, or being in a bank while its robbed , Id let it get robbed, its insured FDIC. jmo
I guess you missed the memo that the most common cause of semi auto handgun malfunctions is bad magazines.

Interesting that I stumble across this today. I bought a mag pouch earlier and I actually found an extra pre-ban mag for my USP 40.

So as of today, I carry 13+1 in the gun, and a spare mag of 13.

I’m with Cekin, Timber and Greg.

I believe that it is stressful enough to get into a real gun fight, and I believe that more ammo equals more stress, if we even realize and can find those extra mags while in the fight. Many people will say that training for those things will make you calm and ready, sorry to say but it is not true. If we think about it, we can’t most of the time shoot like we shoot in a range during a normal competition, so imagine about a real gun fight.

Talking about Murphy, if the 1st mag fails, who can tell me that the second one (if I have time enough to reach it and load the gun) will not fail?

The way you shoot at the range should be the way you'll shoot in a gunfight if the gun is for self defense.

I don't understand what you're saying about more ammo/more stress and both mags will fail if one does.

What? So having a spare mag that's hard to get to is MORE stressful than having NO AMMO LEFT? I understand the argument about carrying spare ammo not being worth it because of the effort involved when not in a fight, but not carrying spare ammo because it'll make the fight harder makes no sense.

+1

I would hate to see what would happen in court trying to defend unload multiple high cap mags to defend your self.

Not saying it's a bad idea to have more than one mag just think shot placement trumps a bunch of ammo.

I'd hate to see the looks on the faces of your family in the funeral home if you didn't want to look bad in court defending yourself. [wink]

Well if a few shots of Winchester Rangers to the face and chest doesnt stop whoever Im firing at I probably shouldnt have been in that situation in the first place. With all of the rounds Ive run thru my mags I havent had a magazine malfunction or break. Wait I retract that. I bent the feedlips one of my AR mags when I released it onto concrete. I read a few people saying they had M&P mags break? Where was the breakage and what were the circumstances around the breakage?

I've referenced this before, the Peter Soulis incident. Under stress or while wounded, accurate shooting may be difficult, or the other guy just might not be ready to die yet, even though his wounds are fatal.

And whether or not you should've been in the situation in the first place is irrelevant once you are in the thick of things. [wink]

You sir, are a genius. I want one.

To date, there has been no cases that we know of where a private citizen had to reload during a gun fight--that doesn't mean it won't happen. It is also a good idea to reload after a gunfight. With the magazine being the weakest link in the system, a spare is a good idea.

Yup yup.

I posted in this thread about a private citizen reloading in a gunfight.

Only whats in the gun. I might start keeping a spare mag in the car though. Not sure what good that would do though.

If you drop your gun in the toilet while out in town, or if you shoot a rabid dog, or any other number of things, it means more ammo that's closer to you than it is to home. YMMV.

How do you carry the speed strips? I have speed strips, but actually rarely carry them.

That's because you're always wearing your skirt. Put pants on and use the pockets. Or if you have to wear the skirt... put the speed strips in your purse [smile]

EDIT: Fine... I'll be productive.

If you google "speed strip pouch" you'll come up with tons of options. All worn on the belt.

2 search results:

The Most Versatile Ammo Pouch from Simply Rugged:
http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html
most_versatile_1_lg.jpg

IHL Speed Strip Wallet
http://www.dillonprecision.com/cont...HL_Speed_Strip_Wallet__Black___38_357_6_round
18308_ihl_speed_strip_wallet_1_m.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom