• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiking Daypack Recomendations

I use an REI Flash 45 as my pack for both day hikes and overnighters in the White Mountains. It is bigger than it needs to be for a simple day hike, but it works well. It is plenty light itself, and since it is the same pack I'll be using with a heavier load, might as well get comfortable with it. I also tend to over pack for day hikes, but I don't really feel like getting caught out while peakbagging solo. I'd be pissed if I froze to death because I rolled my ankle and didn't have a simple emergency shelter system with me or something.

This thread is like asking your wife where she wants to go to eat. 'I don't care' she says...then she continues to shoot down your every suggestion...

- - - Updated - - -

Fyi...i don't have a wife...i was talking about yours.

i hear ya, and I don't have a wife either

backpack + carry options while hiking = infinite solutions

I don't carry in my pack but have a Patagonia Refugio Pack 28L. It looks smaller than 28 L to me and cinches up tight to the body. The side water pouches are a little small but I usually put my bottles inside. I also use it more for urban use--no belt, don't use the chest strap. I carried (and biked) all over Europe with this in the spring and it was great. My laptop fits in it too, although snugly. Has a pass through if you want to use a water bladder in the laptop pouch. Like most of my past packs I cut off the factory pulls and put homemade para cord knotted pulls on them--so much better than the factory plastic junk!

how'd you get a gun through security?

If you have a smaller pistol, like Shield perhaps, you could go with a Mystery Ranch 3DAP, which has PALS rows on the inside over the radio cradle and you could draw through the radio port as well. It's also a well built, comfortable bag.

Another vote for hill people gear chest packs. Excellent quality and great access. Can carry larger calibers if you want.

14916343844_be3fc8678a_o.jpg

Look out it's an evil bayonet lug(I just pee'd myself a little bit), where's my woobie?! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom