Hiking Daypack Recomendations

Looking for a hiking daypack and looking for suggestions. I picked up an Osprey Daylite which is the perfect size at 793 cu in and weighs just about a pound, it has 2 outside pockets for water bottles, an internal pocket for a hydration pouch if I choose. The only thing it doesn't have is a good place to carry a loaded handgun. It does have a small internal storage but it is thin nylon and I don't think it will hold the weight of a loaded G19 over time before tearing.

Any suggestions?

The osprey daylite for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Daylite-Backpack-Black-Size/dp/B00AOGU7M6

I wouldn't trust a 'pack carry' over 'belt carry' anyway...keep it on your person, not in a pack. I'm an avid hiker/backpacker and have never carried while hiking due to weight restrictions I set for myself, but if need ever arose that a firearm be drawn, you're not going to have enough time to go rummaging through a pack.

I wouldn't trust a 'pack carry' over 'belt carry' anyway...keep it on your person, not in a pack. I'm an avid hiker/backpacker and have never carried while hiking due to weight restrictions I set for myself, but if need ever arose that a firearm be drawn, you're not going to have enough time to go rummaging through a pack.

I agree 100%. If you carry a firearm in your backpack it should be something like a SBR, or a folding rifle like a Sub2000, but a handgun should be on you for fast access.

I don't carry in my pack but have a Patagonia Refugio Pack 28L. It looks smaller than 28 L to me and cinches up tight to the body. The side water pouches are a little small but I usually put my bottles inside. I also use it more for urban use--no belt, don't use the chest strap. I carried (and biked) all over Europe with this in the spring and it was great. My laptop fits in it too, although snugly. Has a pass through if you want to use a water bladder in the laptop pouch. Like most of my past packs I cut off the factory pulls and put homemade para cord knotted pulls on them--so much better than the factory plastic junk!

Depending on what you're looking for, this might be on the big side, but the Kelty RedWing 50 has served me well for day hikes.
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Redwing...d=1413160736&sr=8-1&keywords=kelty+redwing+50

673.jpg

I have a full size backpack I can take but it's a bit much for just a few hour hike with the kids when I am just concerned with carrying water, snacks, couple windbreakers etc.

The osprey daylite I got is 13L.

I have a bug out bag that I use for a range bag, it has a hidden compartment which is quick to access and holds a handgun. I use it on short hikes an hour or so and when on level ground, it's not the best for uphill hikes. A compartment like it has is what I want. Here is a pic of that:

range bag.jpg

Looking for a hiking daypack and looking for suggestions. I picked up an Osprey Daylite which is the perfect size at 793 cu in and weighs just about a pound, it has 2 outside pockets for water bottles, an internal pocket for a hydration pouch if I choose. The only thing it doesn't have is a good place to carry a loaded handgun. It does have a small internal storage but it is thin nylon and I don't think it will hold the weight of a loaded G19 over time before tearing.

Any suggestions?

The osprey daylite for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Daylite-Backpack-Black-Size/dp/B00AOGU7M6

I suggest you keep the good daypack you already have and carry the handgun on your person.

455963.jpg

Seriously, this is the solution made specifically for the problem you are having. It allows you to keep it concealed, but also accessible, and you can transfer it to you're person without exposing the weapon if you need to take off the backpack for any reason.

Last edited:
They are really well made (buy once cry once), I have had mine for like 4 years and it still looks brand new (I use it just about every other weekend, and on my backpacking trips). I don't work for them or anything, just a very satisfied customer.

You can't get to a traditional IWB holster with a bag like mine (wide waist belt), and I have never been comfortable having a gun in my backpack (If you need to get to it, and its in you're backpack, you're screwed). Because of that a rarely carried in the woods until I got one of these.

I have a Gregory Z30 day pack that works well for me. You *might* want to look into a pack with a more substantial hip belt than that Osprey. A first aid/emergency/fire starter kit, wind/rain shell, puffy jacket and 2-3 quarts of water should always be in your daypack in case you end up spending a night out there. It's pretty easy to injure an ankle/knee, trip and knock yourself out or waste two hours walking in the wrong direction and then have the sun set before you get back to the car. Just those essential items can weigh close to 15 pounds which can really dig into your shoulders over 4-5 hours.

I hiked Mt Cardigan last week with my LC9 in my front pocket the whole time. I expected it to bounce off my leg with every step but it was fine.

Last edited:
Camelbak MULE, I've got a few different Camelbaks but it's usually the one I grab. In truth though if I was to buy one today I'd get the Mil Tac MULE over the regular MULE. Instead of having one smaller compartment and one large compartment with the regular MULE, I'd choose the three compartment Mil Tac MULE.

lets say a large bear attacks you, and there you are...fumbling to get out your 9mm [rofl]

Vertx has a couple options with built in holsters. As does the Grey Ghost Gear Stealth Operator pack, but that pocket is more for transport and may not be a quick draw.

I wear a RibzWear setup almost every time I hike (should be every time). It holds an amazing amount of stuff, a small frame pistol, first aid, knife, fire stuff, lights, compass, you name it. I even tuck my binocs into the strap when I bring them to keep them from bouncing around. It doesn't interfere with a backpack; it just puts all of your essentials right in front of you and keeps them with you when you take off the pack.

I think I have the smaller of the two sizes. The only down side is there's no place for water.

http://www.ribzwear.com/

I have several REI Flash 18 packs and they are very minimalist but work very well. I'm a big believer in ultralight backpacking so I won't carry more than 15 pounds of crap on my back.

I take the flash 18 and cut out the hydration pouch and all the stupid straps etc. When I'm done it weighs just a few Oz and can roll into a package small enough to fit in a cargo pants pocket (little tight).

There is a nice zippered pouch inside and a hook for keys etc, the top is closed with a drawstring. It's a bargain at $35!

http://www.rei.com/product/861436/rei-flash-18-pack

http://www.rei.com/media/oo/6d599e95-2bf3-4c76-b32f-2773322889e1.jpg

Last edited:
I use one of the Maxpedition universal holsters with mag carrier in my man purse. It's the kind that sticks to a velcro field, so you can position it however you want, and it's adjustable for pretty much any size gun. It works surprisingly well for such an inexpensive product. If your pack has a velcro field, I recommend this.

This thread is like asking your wife where she wants to go to eat. 'I don't care' she says...then she continues to shoot down your every suggestion...

- - - Updated - - -

Fyi...i don't have a wife...i was talking about yours.

I use a Kelty Redtail 30.

I also keep my G20 on my belt most of the time, but I have slid it inside the hydration pouch area in the Kelty before when Geocaching in populated areas (like around recreational fields, etc..), right up against the frame sheet.

I use an Osprey Atmos 65 or Lowe Alpine Fall Line 35"... The Osprey is a multi day pack but can easily be cinched down to a lower profile for day hikes. The Lowe Alpine is awesome for summer fast packing.

All depends on where you go, what time of year, and what you feel comfortable with or without.

I've seen seasoned trail runners in the Whites with nothing more than a water bottle, 6 miles from the nearest road. I've also seen people in Lynn Woods with full load out (why? NFI)

Your best bet is to cut 2 hours out of your day, go to REI and try on as many packs as you can. They have weighted sand bags you can pack in to get an accurate feel, and the sales people usually are pretty knowledgeable.... Plus, they usually have some good sales going on this time of year.

I've also seen people in Lynn Woods with full load out (why? NFI).

I can offer some insight on this one at least. I carry my full load hiking along the M+M in Hadley (Seven Sisters) when conditioning for backpacking trips in the Whites. I do it so I'm not surprised by some random piece of gear poking me in the back after 5 miles, or learning that my pack is a bit off balance. Also, its good exercise. At least, that's why I do it sometimes,

Vertx has a couple options with built in holsters. As does the Grey Ghost Gear Stealth Operator pack, but that pocket is more for transport and may not be a quick draw.

Any of the tactical tailor ROP derivatives might work; you can stick a hook and loop holster in that pocket.

Correction, the milspec monkey and grey ghost versions have velcro in that pocket, not the TT ROP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom