• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEW WASHER RECOMENDATIONS ?

My Kenmores (whirlpools) still going strong. Year 14. Few issues. Was able to pick up broken ones for free off craigslist.. I have a bin of spares if I need them. Only issues were a moisture sensor and door seal, and drain pump.

I have them where I work and the first repair bill came in on two out of three washers and one out of three dryers at just under of $700 bucks a month ago - since 2014.
Not bad heh 😼
Mine went 25 years and then blew a pump seal. Ordered a new pump, and was in business an hour later.

Older GE’s are gtg with me. Top loading washer for $375 about 12 years ago. Had to replace the tub nut which was a bear to do. GE scratch’n’dent front loading dryer. The copper colored one bought in 2005 snd has only needed 1 belt. 3 kids and these machines are used daily.

Speed queen TC5, it’s the classic edition with an independent real agitator. The only speed queen model that still does it right.

The other models are govt crap models. The agitator is fixed, moves with the drum and basically clothes moves with momentum.

The only thing people would complain about the TC5 is the space, I think it’s 3.2 or 3.4 drum size. I’ve put in my California king comforter with no problem. I had a front loader, and my clothes definitely feels cleaner with an agitator.
B96E0FAC-416B-4C7B-A713-67ADA213550A.jpeg

Never even heard of Speed Queen. Is there a Speed King? I am so out of touch with the W/D scene (pretty much like with everything else too).

We had an LG for 10 years when it broke I bought the biggest Maytag I could afford. The only problem I've had is because of the "technology " built into the machine detergent pods are highly recommended.

Recently replaced an original Maytag Neptune front loader (and I just tossed out the VHS tape that came with it). The drum bearing was going, and I decided I didn't want to deal with it. So I cancelled the bearing order and ordered another Maytag front loader, direct from Maytag online. $35 for setup & removal of old one. Painless transaction.

Last edited:
Took delivery of the Speed Queen TC-5 last week. Bought from Yale Appliance Web Site, believe it came from Stoughton service center, was about 100$ less than everyone else factoring delivery and removal of old machine. Delivery and set up guys were excellent, would recommend. And Yale are factory authorized service techs. Works fantastic, minimal electronic bells and whistles to fail, and 5 yr in home parts and labor warranty. Solid machine.
Thanks for the advice all!

My retired appliance repair man friend recommends against Samsung, Bosch, and to a lesser extent LG. Hard to get parts for and difficult to fix. Our Kenmore died last week and I happened to luck into a Whirlpool at Home Depot for 50% off. It was a bought, never used return item and they just wanted to get rid of it.

Anyway, my friend recommends sticking with an "American" brand such as Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, GE, etc... The reason is that parts are easy to find and relatively cheap and just about anyone can repair them. There are three companies that manufacture all of the "American" made brands and there is a wide amount of parts interchange and some of those parts go back 20 or more years.

I think Lowes has the Kenmore brand these days. Lowes was also selling Midea, which is a Chinese made Samsung brand. Total junk, which is why if you go into a Lowes appliance outlet store you'll see a lot of them brand new in the box. Run away.

My retired appliance repair man friend recommends against Samsung, Bosch, and to a lesser extent LG. Hard to get parts for and difficult to fix. Our Kenmore died last week and I happened to luck into a Whirlpool at Home Depot for 50% off. It was a bought, never used return item and they just wanted to get rid of it.

Anyway, my friend recommends sticking with an "American" brand such as Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, GE, etc... The reason is that parts are easy to find and relatively cheap and just about anyone can repair them. There are three companies that manufacture all of the "American" made brands and there is a wide amount of parts interchange and some of those parts go back 20 or more years.

I think Lowes has the Kenmore brand these days. Lowes was also selling Midea, which is a Chinese made Samsung brand. Total junk, which is why if you go into a Lowes appliance outlet store you'll see a lot of them brand new in the box. Run away.
You can’t get more American than buying Speed Queen.

The only thing I would buy from Lowe’s is the Maytag commercial, that’s only if you can’t find a SQ TC5 anywhere. The Maytag commercial is a bit robust than the rest of their line but still has some plastic parts.

We're not looking for a 20 year machine. Our original plan was to buy a scratch and dent and leave it behind if our moving plan comes together. The only reason we bought the Whirlpool was because HD had it 50% off. Plus my wife signed up for a HD credit card that she'll never use, so we got another $50.00 off. $400.00 plus tax for a brand new Whirlpool.

We might actually move this one with us, it's so nice

Bought a Maytag Commercial a few years ago after our Amana finally crapped out after 20 plus years. Contacts in the timer were sparking, and new one not available. I nursed it along for a few weeks by burnishing the contacts, but I was losing the battle.
The Maytag is pretty good for our needs, but is a little small at 3.5 cu ft. Also had to purchase a pair of those water hammer arrestors for the inlets. Not sure why this machine needed them and the other didn't., but they weren't too expensive.
I looked into Speed Queen, but at the time there were reports of issues with some models.
The Maytag has a five year in-house warranty as well.
Good luck

GE hasn't been American for a long time. They sold to the Chinese with rights to use the GE branding.

That's why I used "American" in quotes. Last I knew most of those brands were made in Mexico. That might have changed, but the fact that most of them are just labels and are made in the same factories has not changed.

GE hasn't been American for a long time. They sold to the Chinese with rights to use the GE branding.

Late to the party, but, Speed Queen. 2012 bought the washer and dryer for our new house down South. 1 minor repair on each so far and the washer has a real agitator and adjustable water level although the current models may no longer have those features.

We've always had LG's. 10 year warranty, metal gear drive....Last set lasted us from ohhhh 2003 - 2021, and thats a family of 5 with three boys, always washing camping gear, hunting gear...we worked that damn thing. Washer went kaput but dryer was still going strong, but gave it away when we got a new matching LG set
We have a cheep LG washer and dryer we got back in mid 2000s as well. Gotta be 15 years old at least.....have never had to repair them still going fine.

Didn't read this thread but nothing out there...unless it is green...avocado green...and old...like real old...like older than you old...that's the only one that will last...

Should never gave up our set..."had to have new" vs. the ugly hand-me-down when we moved into a new house 20+ years ago...probably on our 4th or 5th of those "new" ones...

Old ones are probably still spinning...

:oops:

We’ve retired 19 year old Maytag and bought an Electrolux a moth ago.
I’m still worried 😂

Been there, done that. We had a 2000 Maytag Neptune. Had to replace it as the bearings were going and the cost to replace was many 100's of dollars and a week of no machine. That sucker was a workhorse. 3 kids, 2 teenage daughters, gagillions of loads of laundry a week. It ran like a champ.

We changed to a GE upon recommendation from our now-retired appliance store. (SADNESS!) After almost 3 years, it seems fine.

We're not looking for a 20 year machine. Our original plan was to buy a scratch and dent and leave it behind if our moving plan comes together. The only reason we bought the Whirlpool was because HD had it 50% off. Plus my wife signed up for a HD credit card that she'll never use, so we got another $50.00 off. $400.00 plus tax for a brand new Whirlpool.

We might actually move this one with us, it's so nice
Does it fill to the top? I have been looking but most have some auto fill crap that barely covers the clothes with water

We moved in to this house with the intention of replacing the '90s GE washer and dryer that were left here. But they work, the washer uses little water, the dryer dries as long as you use timer instead of auto setting... Figured we'd save our money to replace the nearly new Samsung fridge the previous owners left us with. I'm sure that will go way before the washer and dryer.

Back
Top Bottom