• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Hiking

With winter approaching I realized I need new hiking crampons. So, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for crampons or snow shoes as I’ll probably get a pair of each? Right now REI looks like my best bet for crampons but haven’t found snow shoes that fit my weight, up to 300

Any regular mountaineering crampons will do, but make sure you get a pair that fits your boots. Either a toe bale or straps depending on the boots. For snow shoes I would go with MSR Evo or Revo line. Stay away from the old fashioned design even in aluminum, as they generally suck for hiking anything steep and technical. The MSR are one piece. Also, REI prices suck. You can do better online. And REI is anti 2A if that matters to you.

For walking on packed or icy trails I use Yaktrax Pro (with the velcro strap). They're not mountaineering crampons, more like ice creepers. I keep a spare pair in my truck. You can also drive with them on in a pinch, although they might abrade the rubber on your gas and brake pedals.

I've got the MSR snowshoes but at 300 pounds I don't think they will work for you in powder even with the extensions. I also have a pair of traditional rawhide laced snowshoes that I use more often when I am working outside in the snow (logging). They have better flotation for me.

Consider the noise aspect, too. Aluminum-frame snowshoes can be pretty loud, plastic a little less so. The rawhide laced ones are quietest in my experience. Good luck!

Also, REI prices suck. You can do better online. And REI is anti 2A if that matters to you.

I've been a member of REI since the mid 70's (6 digit membership number for those that care). You will find that almost every outdoor store these days is anti 2A...probably every one. REI's prices are close to retail but they do have many sales at many percent off. Also, there are very few outdoor stores that now cater to technical climbing as REI does and I'm betting every one of them are anti 2A as well.

When I need something there (I have been to the new store in North Conway several times since they opened about six weeks ago), I have to hold my nose because of their anti everything good (guns, etc.) and pro everything bad (global warming, over the top inclusion, etc.) but there is literally no where else to get some of the stuff they carry, at least close enough where you can try stuff on and make sure it fits.

At the end of the day (or year), if you are a member which costs $20 for life, you get a 10% dividend back for whatever you purchased the previous year...one year I got back over $300 in dividends. You even get dividends on sale stuff which was not always the case.

Last edited:
I use Kahtoola MICROspikes, and MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes.

The LAs are spendy, but worth it IMO.

ETA: just re-read the OP; the Lightning Ascent might not offer enough float for you, except in the largest size and with extensions.

I use snow shoes where I hike, mainly because there is no need for crampons and they are easier to maneuver in while Im hunting

With winter approaching I realized I need new hiking crampons. So, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for crampons or snow shoes as I’ll probably get a pair of each? Right now REI looks like my best bet for crampons but haven’t found snow shoes that fit my weight, up to 300

Guyute, What kind of winter hiking are you planning on doing? Unless you are doing technical ice or steep trails above timber line, chances are you won't need crampons. Your best bet is to get some good microspikes. They are much easier to carry when you don't need them. I've done lots of winter hiking in the Whites in the past and rarely ever wished I had brought crampons...the European Alps where I have hiked with crampons are another story. Crampons are really a PITA if you are travelling over snow as the snow will clog things up and you will find yourself (or your hiking partner) always cleaning them out with either your ice axe or trekking poles.

the Govt surplus snowshoes are outstanding lightweight & wicked strong! & their bindings are wicked good - never fall off - I put them on my wooden racquets too!
(even good for large guys doing biathlon (slowly)waaay cheaper than the alum/plastic ones too!

I'm going with a pair of micro spikes, a lot of places have micro spikes in with the crampons so I've been confusing the 2, and a pair of snowshoes. I'm using mostly for hiking through the woods mostly moderate hikes. I'm going to go with a cheaper pair of snowshoes for now just to see how much I enjoy it. Plus I've been focusing on losing weight so I can get myself a gift, msr, when I finally hit 250. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Arto that site looks interesting. May have to pick up some gear for the cold weather

Does anyone use trekking poles. Haven't done much winter hiking before

Last edited:
I'm going with a pair of micro spikes, a lot of places have micro spikes in with the crampons so I've been confusing the 2, and a pair of snowshoes. I'm using mostly for hiking through the woods mostly moderate hikes. I'm going to go with a cheaper pair of snowshoes for now just to see how much I enjoy it. Plus I've been focusing on losing weight so I can get myself a gift, msr, when I finally hit 250. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Arto that site looks interesting. May have to pick up some gear for the cold weather

Does anyone use trekking poles. Haven't done much winter hiking before
Anyone that snowshoes without poles is a fool, IMO.

I use Black Diamond Trail poles. Not the best, and not the cheapest, but they hit a pretty sweet spot in the middle.

ETA: as far as crampons vs microspikes, “crampons” gets so wildly misused so often that whenever I see/hear it used, I assume the person means microspikes.

When you are wearing micro spikes, and should have been wearing crampons, you’ll know it...for a brief flash until you smack into a hard tree or rock as you’re flying downhill. Fortunately, my crotch broke my fall so no bones broken.

And when you certainly don’t need crampons keep your micro spikes on until you enter a building. That last step is a doozy.

When you are wearing micro spikes, and should have been wearing crampons, you’ll know it...for a brief flash until you smack into a hard tree or rock as you’re flying downhill. Fortunately, my crotch broke my fall so no bones broken.

And when you certainly don’t need crampons keep your micro spikes on until you enter a building. That last step is a doozy.

Still sounds better than what I used to do, which was to not even bother with microspikes when crampons and an ax would’ve been appropriate.

Those descents used to be Q U I C K.

I don't do technical kinds of winter mountain climbs, but for walking on icy or snow packed trails, I've had good luck with Stabilicers, the kind that look like flip flips that you strap on and have screw heads on the bottom. They work great. And they're easy enough to put on although it helps to have a place to sit down.

Montana backcountry snowshoes from Atlas. Lightweight but strong as hell. Nice spring loaded crampon set up. Cost is around 175-200.

I use a combination of microspikes, crampons, and snowshoes depending on condition and length of the hike.

Snowshoes: MSR Lightning ascent: MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes - Men's | REI Co-op

Crampons: Grivel New Classics :Grivel G-10 New-Classic Crampons | REI Co-op
These are great and don't need a mountaineering boot

Black Diamond Trekking poles: Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles - Pair | REI Co-op

Microspikes: Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System | REI Co-op

Boots: Solomon 4D 3 Quest GTX (all season boot)

So far this winter have bagged 4000 footers: Carter Dome, Waumbek, Whiteface, Passaconway, N/M Tripyramid, N/S Kinsmans, N/S Twins, Liberty, Flume, Moriah, Killington, Abraham

I have STABILicers off Amazon. Due to the spikes they won't do well on hard surfaces, such as rock, so maybe not ideal for hiking - however, they make walking on sheet ice really really easy.

$180 for trekking poles [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]
Spending money for quality gear that I have used once a week for the past two years? [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]
Worth every penny.
I guess I shouldn't tell you that my mittens cost almost $200 [laugh]
But you know its pretty hard to get up and down mountains when its -10 and your gear sucks and your hands don't work.

Last edited:
Atlas brand snowshoes......they are very good and they have models designed for heavy weight.....and deep powder.

At one point I weighed around 275-280#. I used the Ocean State Job Lot snow shoes then. $69.95. Aluminum. Easy on/easy off. Pull the strap tight - on. Push the release latch with a pole - off. "Cleat" on the bottom so that you didn't slide backwards. The poles (included) helped but weren't great quality. I broke one (they were the extendable type, so not as strong as a fixed pole). Just a thought, if they have any left anywhere.

they do make big snowshoes. I have a pair somewhere. All packed out, i must be weighing 310 lbs. i travel HEAVY in the winter time...

Tubbs makes a 10x36" that should take a lot of weight. tubbs is a good brand.
With that much weight, probably should not go solo into the woods. If you post hole at high weight, you may not be able to free yourself

We need a Sportman's Warehouse up here. Sort of like Cabela's but even more gun related. Prices a little high, but they carried a lot! Now, back on topic.
closest thing we have is Kittery Trading Post.
I always stop at the big sporting stores in colorado when i am out there, if for nothing more than to buy a new cowboy hat for the trip!

Beautiful hike up Mount Isolation yesterday. Weather was so nice, did the whole thing in my base layer.
If weather permits, going up Mount Washington next weekend.

IMG_5738.jpg

Back
Top Bottom