Hey look...more idiots open carrying AR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is really amusing is that a little over a century ago, if you were open carrying (rifle or pistol), it was not only no big deal, it was expected. But if you were concealing a firearm, you were considered to have ill intentions.

My how times have changed.

I made it to page 6.

I have a headache. To everyone who thinks this is the way to win hearts and minds, you are simply wrong. You aren't winning anything at best, at worst you are giving the anti's more ammunition to send our way.

Going someplace with a slung rifle, fine. Don't play with the damn thing like you're a 16 yr old on your first date. Do your business and leave. If you are outside and someone takes it upon themselves to confront you, it's on them. Don't hang around until someone confronts you just to make a scene.

For the record, I classify these guys in the same group as Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton. Media whores, pure and simple.

So according to your rules, people shouldn't open carry? I have an idea. Lets ban guns completely. That way people like you won't get butt hurt when people practice constitutional rights.

Do you really feel that this guy's actions helped shed a positive light on our cause in any way? You really think what he did was a shrewd move? I'm going to say no to both questions.

Do you really feel that this guy's actions helped shed a positive light on our cause in any way? You really think what he did was a shrewd move? I'm going to say no to both questions.
does it matter? I can think he is an idiot and still defend his right to be one

god I hate NES open carry threads

couldn't even get support for an open carry friendly BBQ on here

however, start a bbq thread and there are 15 dudes begging to open carry. [rolleyes]

less people support AWB's now then did years ago, the field is tilting in almost all states but the northeast and CA in favor of gun owners, most people, by a huge majority DO NOT vote soley based on 2a beliefs, most people are neutral if anything

the few people an open carry demonstration actually, meaningfully outrages, are people who already want to take your guns... and apparently gun owners

- - - Updated - - -

but what you think of his venue choice has no bearing on anything, as he is a free citizen practicing legal behavior

common sense isn't always common and it doesn't always make sense

Hey, get out of my illusion of grandeur. [grin] Agreed that what I think has no bearing, but our positions are not mutually exclusive. Yes, free citizen practicing (maybe) legal behavior- no argument there. Good choice of venue? Helpful to the 2A cause? Different subject and admittedly a matter of opinion.

I don't know about this specific airport situation, but I would not be so sure that he didn't somehow violate a law, on camera, for the prosecutor to easily clean up behind the class 6 felony charges. If the charges ultimately fall out as disorderly conduct or some other BS charges probably it was technically legal behavior. Funny how our legal system often leaves itself open to interpretation, which could ultimately be the damnation or salvation for this guy.

What is really amusing is that a little over a century ago, if you were open carrying (rifle or pistol), it was not only no big deal

where I grew up - small college town in central new York in the mid-1970s - it was common to see kids walking around with .22 rifles or shotguns. No one batted an eye.

where I grew up - small college town in central new York in the mid-1970s - it was common to see kids walking around with .22 rifles or shotguns. No one batted an eye.

and how do you make people more comfortable with that by NOT open carrying in everyday places?

I asked 4 friends/coworkers today about this incident, 2 of which are hard core gun guys other 2 are moderate to low core, none of them heard about it. So everyone that has their panties in a bunch over this guy OC'ing an Ar need to pick out the wedgey from their cracks. No one cares about it, no one got killed, no fuel for the gun control fire, i dont even know what the antis can use as fuel from this dumb incident???

Dayum....this is still going!

The post about the "We're here, we're queer, get used to it" parades is spot on. 20 years ago, gays were in the closet, or P'town....and that was it.

Today, our guns are in the safe, or on the range..and that is it.

Again, I'm not an OC practitioner, or even much of a proponent, but this rifle guy is, metaphorically speaking, waving the rainbow flag at the head of the parade. Will it help the rest of us Come Out of the Gun Safe? Time will tell.

I'm guessing that there were gays that were against the flamers.....

Yes, I've used this analogy before.

Dayum....this is still going!

The post about the "We're here, we're queer, get used to it" parades is spot on. 20 years ago, gays were in the closet, or P'town....and that was it.

Today, our guns are in the safe, or on the range..and that is it.

Again, I'm not an OC practitioner, or even much of a proponent, but this rifle guy is, metaphorically speaking, waving the rainbow flag at the head of the parade. Will it help the rest of us Come Out of the Gun Safe? Time will tell.

I'm guessing that there were gays that were against the flamers.....

Yes, I've used this analogy before.

well said, it takes all kinds

and energy would be well spent on accepting them rather than shunning them

There was 1 guy who was all for it. "Make_MA_2A_Compliant" Then all of a sudden he vanished off this site, and his account was deleted.

And no offense, people in MA are too afraid to lose their suitability over open carrying. yeah those are guys I want defending my rights. [rolleyes] People actually voted and posted in that thread last year exactly that. So much damn FAIL.

There was 1 guy who was all for it. "Make_MA_2A_Compliant" Then all of a sudden he vanished off this site, and his account was deleted.

And no offense, people in MA are too afraid to lose their suitability over open carrying. yeah those are guys I want defending my rights. [rolleyes] People actually voted and posted in that thread last year exactly that. So much damn FAIL.

I think he is the one who started it, was wondering where he went.

if I got arrested and my ltc revoked for doing something completely legal I would mortgage my house and fight it till the day I died. people eat up the mentality others project and feed right into it

"oh no we are all scared of guns!"
"oh ok, I will just make sure I never bring them up or bear them or have a shirt with one on it for you"

that'll turn the public opinion for sure

I thought he was arrested for sweeping the lady and child, not open carrying.
I give him credit for the open carry attempt but he is a complete idiot for the muzzle sweep. Doesn't matter if it was at the airport or a gun shop. No responsible gun owner muzzle sweeps anyone anywhere.
Common sense is obviously not one of his strong points.

I'm as comfortable with guns as others here. But what would you do if you were sitting in the airport with your family and some random guy walks in with a (loaded?) AR? Honestly it is going to put me on very high alert. Maybe even to the point of putting my people well out of the possible danger zone. If I see the bottom of some guys pistol holster hanging below his coat, different story. We will never and probably for good reason accept OC rifles in places like airports. The guy is a stupid clown!!!! Had no reason to scare a bunch of people.

I'm as comfortable with guns as others here. But what would you do if you were sitting in the airport with your family and some random guy walks in with a (loaded?) AR? Honestly it is going to put me on very high alert. Maybe even to the point of putting my people well out of the possible danger zone. If I see the bottom of some guys pistol holster hanging below his coat, different story. We will never and probably for good reason accept OC rifles in places like airports. The guy is a stupid clown!!!! Had no reason to scare a bunch of people.

I would take notice and probably keep track of him, but that's it until he actually becomes a threat.

As for your last statement, he is not responsible for other peoples reactions to something that is safe and completely legal. They got scared because the government has conditioned people to be so when they see anyone beyond a Leo carrying a firearm.

Honestly, dude, I get mad sometimes, but given the media (and I worked in media) and its tendancy to turn every gun related incident into a John Woo movie, complete with dramatic music, are you surprised? can you blame them? I was scared shitless of the ebola thing - even posted some panic thread about it, half joking that I needed an AR for the impending ebolapocalypse....then I went and read up on the virus....yeah, scary, but harder to catch than they made it out to be.

What Im saying is that not everyone is educated or willing to be educated. Getting muzzleswept in an airport is not the education they're looking for. Now, I've met a good many folks on NES - good people, but we're all human, all inclined to make mistakes or do something out of ignorance. I was chastised roundly for saying the next step after the rallies should not be open carry marches, I still stand behind that because all it takes is one, ONE mistake like a muzzle sweep or worse, a provocateur from the other side to instigate something for the press dogs to feast upon and it will undo any good we've accomplished.

Open carry is stupid. It affords no tactical advantage, lets a bogey know who is carrying, what theyre carrying and an inventory/shopping list for when they've neutralized said open carrier. On the other side of it, politically, it scares people who may have been on the fence to join Shannon Twatts and the MAIG cows - do you REALLY want to give them such an easy victory? Do you really want their numbers to swell based on a mistake? A mistake we can't readily afford right now?

I would take notice and probably keep track of him, but that's it until he actually becomes a threat.

As for your last statement, he is not responsible for other peoples reactions to something that is safe and completely legal. They got scared because the government has conditioned people to be so when they see anyone beyond a Leo carrying a firearm.

If I see the bottom of some guys pistol holster hanging below his coat, different story. We will never and probably for good reason accept OC rifles in places like airports.
why is it different? you see a gun in both cases, both are capable of killing you if in the hands of someone who wants you dead

you call it good reason, I call it illogical fear of guns due to brainwashing

Open carry is stupid. It affords no tactical advantage, lets a bogey know who is carrying, what theyre carrying and an inventory/shopping list for when they've neutralized said open carrier. On the other side of it, politically, it scares people who may have been on the fence to join Shannon Twatts and the MAIG cows - do you REALLY want to give them such an easy victory? Do you really want their numbers to swell based on a mistake? A mistake we can't readily afford right now?

if it affords no tactical advantage why do police and competition shooters and many others all prefer it?

the only people open carry scares are people who were scared of guns in the first place but never seen one not on a cop, it may actually show people "wow that guy had a gun right next to me and I am not dead" or worst case is it convinces people to be terrified of open carriers, which you said is stupid and unnecessary anyway so wheres the harm?

don't open carry or.... they might ban open carry

don't open carry or.... they might ban open carry

And how exactly do you conclude that? From a propaganda perspective, all this in-your-face open carry is more likely to expedite the banning of OC. It is just one accidental discharge away from a shit-storm.

And how exactly do you conclude that? From a propaganda perspective, all this in-your-face open carry is more likely to expedite the banning of OC. It is just one accidental discharge away from a shit-storm.

so then in order to avoid banning of open carry, people should be encouraged NOT to open carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom