Hey look...more idiots open carrying AR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree that open carrying an unloaded firearm is just plain stupid I have changed my mind on the topic as a whole. I look at it more like the " I'm Here, I'm Queer, Get Used To It" fad of the 90's. All the gay pride parades where so over the top with guys in ass-less chaps rideing big rainbow colored penises that seeing two guys walking down the street holding hands didnt even register anymore... hence after seeing guys walking down the street carrying MG42's or M249's seeing someone with a glock on the hip doesnt even register...

What I'm not getting is that it seems everyone here is concerned that he carried a rifle, who gives a crap whether it's a rifle or a hand gun, if he wants to carry a rifle one day, who cares??. Even if he did it to make a statement, no one cares, no one got hurt. Stop blowing it out of proportion, it's not the next Sandyhook. Geezus!!!

Tell me what in particular the anti's can say about this situation that will threaten our rights??

I'm still waiting for even one national political statement on this incident.

"a guy walked in with a rifle and I peed myself but he got coffee and no one was hurt, THIS IS WHY PEOPLE CAN'T BE ALLOWED TO CARRY GUNS!"

it doesn't even make for a good argument

again, what makes one person fearful is none of my concern

some people get scared when they see a dog near them, or some people even get scared when they see a black person, or a guy in a turban, should all of those things be banned in public?

I personally get scared when I am at the airport and I see people in blue uniforms that say TSA on them

just close this ****ing thread..... HOLY SHIT !!!! what a fail on some posts.. ITS THEIR RIGHT.....move the **** on

- - - Updated - - -

love the avatar

If you live in NH, let us know when you are going to open carry your AR into Manchester Airport. I personally want to be there to watch what happens. Sometimes gun owners are their own worst enemies and do stupid crap that purposely get themselves into trouble and makes the rest of us look bad.

As I said before. The only way to make a valid point is to do it in a smart way. We have to be smarter then them. This was not smart and all he did was "F" himself for life.

If you live in NH, let us know when you are going to open carry your AR into Manchester Airport. I personally want to be there to watch what happens. Sometimes gun owners are their own worst enemies and do stupid crap that purposely get themselves into trouble and makes the rest of us look bad.

As I said before. The only way to make a valid point is to do it in a smart way. We have to be smarter then them. This was not smart and all he did was "F" himself for life.

you can stand up for someones right to do something even if it is something you would never do...
he didn't make me look bad

how do you promote open carry without making "us" look bad? when we aren't the ones who dictate how other people feel, thats pretty difficult

WAT?

you can stand up for someones right to do something even if it is something you would never do...
he didn't make me look bad

how do you promote open carry without making "us" look bad? when we aren't the ones who dictate how other people feel, thats pretty difficult

+1

Projection.

Where in my comments did I say carry in an airport.. If a person has a right, then they have a right....JFC...Lets just limit every right then **** it

If a person has a right, then they have a right....JFC...Lets just limit every right then **** it

Ironically, just about every single right does have limits and those limits are supported by the SCOTUS, especially when one person's "rights" conflicts with anothers. Reread the Heller decision for recent 2A statements to this effect.

There have been many instances of open carry protests where there was nothing LEs could do about it and made the antis feel discomfort. Walking down a street, going to a store, getting coffee in Starbucks etc'. That isn't my problem. My problem is when someone decides they are going to take it to the next level and screws themselves by doing so. Being smart and having common sense about this is a benefit. As I said previously, if he open carried a side arm he would have gotten his coffee and be on his way. But he wanted to make a point in an area that's seen nothing but increased security and scrutiny due to past events. Common sense should have kicked in knowing it was a bad idea. Would it be good if you can open carry anywhere you want? Sure. Is it the reality we live in? No even in the least.

So tell me exactly how he helped out cause by doing this? He made national news as a gun toting whacko who was arrested. AKA fuel to the antis. If you don't think that makes us all look bad then I think you're living in denial. The public isn't that smart. The really stupid ones think this represents most gun owners. Only gun owners know it doesn't.

If we are ever going to fully win this battle, we have show we are responsible gun owners. Without that we have no chance.

Ironically, just about every single right does have limits and those limits are supported by the SCOTUS, especially when one person's "rights" conflicts with anothers. Reread the Heller decision for recent 2A statements to this effect.

Forget it....your missing it... No shit all rights have limits... this person had a right to open carry an chose to do so.. SO STFU

your rights aren't suspended just because somene's butt gets hurt. really?

some good outings in here today.

So tell me exactly how he helped out cause by doing this? He made national news as a gun toting whacko who was arrested. AKA fuel to the antis. If you don't think that makes us all look bad then I think you're living in denial. The public isn't that smart. The really stupid ones think this represents most gun owners. Only gun owners know it doesn't.
it makes people who carry rifles in airports look bad, how does it make me look bad?

nobody stopped me on the street recently and said "hey your buddy with the rifle in the airport is a real douche and you are too"

just as its of no concern to me where he LEGALLY carries ANYTHING, it's of no concern to me what some idiot I never met, thinks about the guy. As he, and you are entitled to think the guy is a moron.

you know who it gives fuel to more than the antis? people on NES who think rights are not worth practicing if they upset someone

and you didn't answer my question, how do you promote legal open carry without upsetting sheep? I'm curious to know how you do it, or how it can be done

how did he promote our cause? maybe someone who was there wasn't scared shitless and realized they don't have to piss themselves when they are near a rifle.
here's the real life headline of the story "man carries rifle into airport coffee shop, no one died, nothing really happened, man was arrested for legally practicing his rights"

you know what the reaction should be? people on NES should be OUTRAGED, not at the open carry guy, but that he was arrested (unless he actually did sweep people) for doing NOTHING WRONG/ILLEGAL

You mean like this, 4 months ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
you know who it gives fuel to more than the antis? people on NES who think rights are not worth practicing if they upset someone

and you didn't answer my question, how do you promote legal open carry without upsetting sheep? I'm curious to know how you do it, or how it can be done

I did answer your question. Walk down any street, go into any store, order coffee from inside a chain and anyplace else you can. All will upset the antis, BUT the difference is that LEs can't do anything about that.

The HUGE difference here is that he carried the rifle into a hot zone full of police, security, monitoring, Gov't oversight. He went in alone into a place where everyone is on high alert due to past history. That just isn't smart. Obviously you disagree. Like I said to Chevy, let me know when you're going to open carry in Manchester Airport. I want to be there to watch. Hell, do that into your local Post Office. Let us know first. I'll set up a camera to capture it for you.

The frustrating part here for me is that some of you are so gung ho, I'm going to do what I want, when I want and screw the Gov't. Guess what, it's the Gov't that will screw you every time and make you look like the bad guy. I don't get people's need to destroy themselves and making it easy for the Gov't to do it. You do all the work for them.

I'm glad we have some smarter people here who think things through. Like the NH open carry protest by the state house and a few others that happened up in NH. It's obvious we will never agree on this, so hopefully you'll not make it easy for the Gov't to get you.

You do see the difference here, right? He's doing a protest and is being constantly recorded and had witnesses there.

I see a guy walking around an airport open carrying a rifle. No one lost there shit, I don't even remember the thread here about it because it was so uneventful.

Wow.. I love reading all the posts and then the Signatures... [rofl]

Molon label.. [laugh]

I see a guy walking around an airport open carrying a rifle. No one lost there shit, I don't even remember the thread here about it because it was so uneventful.

Constantly being recorded with witnesses following him around. He did it in a way that didn't make him an easy target. That's the right way to do a protest.

seriously, what's the big deal, and what's the difference between this guy and the guy in the article

both carrying rifles in an airport, one is scary and the other isn't? one gives us a bad name but the other doesn't?

I don't get it

seriously, what's the big deal, and what's the difference between this guy and the guy in the article

both carrying rifles in an airport, one is scary and the other isn't? one gives us a bad name but the other doesn't?

I don't get it

apparently there is a right and a wrong way to protest, just like there is a right and a wrong way to to bear arms.

Constantly being recorded with witnesses following him around. He did it in a way that didn't make him an easy target. That's the right way to do a protest.

so we should be upset at the police for targeting a man who was not protesting under optimal conditions, not the man protesting as the message is the EXACT SAME

Frustrating.....

Open carry all you want, but if you are going to do it don't make it easy for the Gov't to get you. And yes, there are differences in how a protest can get your message across. The end result is the ultimate determination. First guy was arrested and screwed for life. The second guy made sure he had witnesses and recording and was perfectly fine. Do you think that would have been the case if it was just him, no witnesses or recordings? I wouldn't bet on getting the same results.

I'm NOT saying what happened to the first guy was right. Anything but. In the end though the only point he made was that he's screwed

Before anyone accuses me of not supporting their rights, including the right to be stupid- that would be incorrect. Example: I think it's moronic to ride without proper gear including helmet, but I support the right to do so and absolutely hate helmets laws. Same for OC- knock yourself out anywhere you want to go, but if your only purpose to OC is to make a statement, please do it in a manner that displays proper safety and would otherwise leave a positive image.

I don't get the butthurt on the OC anywhere, anytime side as far as the requests for common sense are concerned. Compare the discussion to a well organized OC Pro-2A rally. Nobody seems to get butthurt over requests to make a positive impression for the cameras via appropriate dress and behavior. For those who want to go solo & make a statement, don't get butthurt when others request some common sense in choice of venue and/or how you display your OC. Remember, damn near everyone in the country has a camera on their phone. Many of us think the airport guy chose an inappropriate venue, that's all.

What's wrong with rifles vs. holstered pistols?

Nothing, so long as the method of rifle OC includes some identifiable measure of safety similar in scope to a holstered pistol. It's easy to identify a holstered pistol as being in a 'safe mode'. Virtually impossible to 'sweep' the sheep or worst case have an ND. Also, you can go about your business without having to ever handle the pistol until you need it. Rifle hanging on a sling not so much. OK, maybe it won't drop but the trigger is exposed and the rifle will require handling to move out of the way for many things you might do. Try handling your AR during a cease fire at a busy range run by a retired Gunny and let me know how that works out for you. Does not OC in a crowd merit at a minimum the same standards of safety required at a busy range?

I think everyone on this thread has probably seen the OC Texas pic of the two big-n-little bozos fondling rifles in the restaurant, fingers at or near the trigger. Compare that to some other OC Texas pics of people walking downa public street, carrying AR's / rifles slung in back with a safety chamber flag evident. Which image furthers our cause, and which image furthers the anti's cause? In the end, I want OC to expand and appreciate fellow 2A supporters conducting themselves in a manner that helps the cause. Save your principles for NES thread arguments.

it makes people who carry rifles in airports look bad, how does it make me look bad?

It makes gun owners look bad because the sheeple, who are none the wiser, blanket this behavior across the broad gun ownership population. Not EVERYONE does this, but enough do. Look how many people support AWB's and the like from opinions formed on the news. The media has become less and less responsible and factual in their reporting and are more concerned with serving their political agendas in their content.

Don't forget, the 'sheeple' vote and that's where this ultimately comes back and bites us in the ass. They base their views off bogus news and anecdotal events the press picks up. You probably do the same, but just on different topics which you have little or no knowledge on. We are all guilty of it in one form or another.

It makes gun owners look bad because the sheeple, who are none the wiser, blanket this behavior across the broad gun ownership population. Not EVERYONE does this, but enough do. Look how many people support AWB's and the like from opinions formed on the news. The media has become less and less responsible and factual in their reporting and are more concerned with serving their political agendas in their content.

Don't forget, the 'sheeple' vote and that's where this ultimately comes back and bites us in the ass. They base their views off bogus news and anecdotal events the press picks up. You probably do the same, but just on different topics which you have little or no knowledge on. We are all guilty of it in one form or another.

less people support AWB's now then did years ago, the field is tilting in almost all states but the northeast and CA in favor of gun owners, most people, by a huge majority DO NOT vote soley based on 2a beliefs, most people are neutral if anything

the few people an open carry demonstration actually, meaningfully outrages, are people who already want to take your guns... and apparently gun owners

- - - Updated - - -

For those who want to go solo & make a statement, don't get butthurt when others request some common sense in choice of venue and/or how you display your OC. Remember, damn near everyone in the country has a camera on their phone. Many of us think the airport guy chose an inappropriate venue, that's all.

but what you think of his venue choice has no bearing on anything, as he is a free citizen practicing legal behavior

common sense isn't always common and it doesn't always make sense

Queue the "I'm-all-for-people-openly-carrying-pistols-but-not-rifles" apologists.

Yeah, but seriously, some of these ****heads are not mentally equipped to do it properly.... Either do it right,, or don't do it at all.

Guys like this retard will get OC banned long before they make it accepted, I guarantee it.

Of course, Steinmetz took it to another step when he let his muzzle fall and sweep a woman and her child nearby. Police took him into custody and charged him with a class 6 felony.

I don't get it

If there are two guys carrying rifles in an airport and one is being a fag and muzzle sweeping people, and the other one isn't, then thats is a pretty big difference.

-Mike

I'm all about guns, but
There is a time and place for everything. What that guy did makes us look bad. That's all it is

Where's this memo about how I'm somehow responsible for his actions? Apparently I missed it. Is there some "union of gun owners" I got signed up for that I'm not aware of? Conflating the actions of all gun owners as somehow, linked, to a guy like this, is full retard.

-Mike

What's wrong with rifles vs. holstered pistols?

Nothing, so long as the method of rifle OC includes some identifiable measure of safety similar in scope to a holstered pistol. It's easy to identify a holstered pistol as being in a 'safe mode'. Virtually impossible to 'sweep' the sheep or worst case have an ND. Also, you can go about your business without having to ever handle the pistol until you need it. Rifle hanging on a sling not so much. OK, maybe it won't drop but the trigger is exposed and the rifle will require handling to move out of the way for many things you might do. Try handling your AR during a cease fire at a busy range run by a retired Gunny and let me know how that works out for you. Does not OC in a crowd merit at a minimum the same standards of safety required at a busy range?

Thank you for articulating this so well. It's not about scared sheeple, it's about poor judgement.

If there are two guys carrying rifles in an airport and one is being a fag and muzzle sweeping people, and the other one isn't, then thats is a pretty big difference.

-Mike
I do agree with that, but most arguments in this thread had nothing to do with a supposed muzzle sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom