Hey look...more idiots open carrying AR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
IBTL.

Seriously though, I don't care what people open carry. Hoplophobes gonna hoplophobe. What we should be asking is "How can we get people to be comfortable with open carrying any weapon", not "how can we stop people from carrying any weapon".

you don't. its that simple.

there are always going to be those who have a fear of firearms - judging by some of the behavior of TX Open carry and others that have made the news, I can't say the fear is always unfounded.

IBTL.

Seriously though, I don't care what people open carry. Hoplophobes gonna hoplophobe. What we should be asking is "How can we get people to be comfortable with open carrying any weapon", not "how can we stop people from carrying any weapon".

IBTL.

I hear what you're saying, but in some instances common sense should take over. Airports are one of those places that nothing good will ever happen by pulling a stunt like that. Same as if you walked into a day care center. Should you be able to? Sure. Should you do it. Nope.

"Of course, Steinmetz took it to another step when he let his muzzle fall and sweep a woman and her child nearby. Police took him into custody and charged him with a class 6 felony."

See how easy it is to get arrested exercising your constitutional right to carry....just open a carry a handgun. It stays in the holster and everyone is ok.
Now this guy if convicted is no longer eligible to own firearms this being a felony and all. And did he really sweep anyone or did the cops make that up just to be able to arrest him. I would like to see video of the so called sweep.

Last edited:
Wait..OP.......what is it OK TO open carry?

Please go down the list and let me know where the cutoff is....

Long guns:
AK
AR
Garand
03 Springfield
Winchester lever gun
Percussion musket
Flintlock

Handguns:

Tec-9
S&W 29
SAA
Cap and Ball revolver

Non-firearm
Machete
Ka-Bar Belt knife
Buck folder in a belt sheath
Pocket knife with a clip
Pointed stick

the only question that has any bearing is: Is the behavior lawful

If it is, then it's his decision to make....you set your own limits.

Disclosure: I do not open carry, or habitually carry concealed, but I respect the right and choice of others to do so.

Oh.....and maybe the dude in the lnked article was "Smug" because he had a10% off coupon, or just scored some .22

Is there actually footage of the muzzle sweep? just wondering if it could be that the two women are Moms Against Guns members trying to stir the pot by accusing the guy of something he didn't do?????

Is there actually footage of the muzzle sweep? just wondering if it could be that the two women are Moms Against Guns members trying to stir the pot by accusing the guy of something he didn't do?????

Or were the cops trying to intimidate him by getting in his space and moving him around. I don't see him sweeping anyone especially if the rifle is slung over his shoulder which is typically how these rifles are carried..

My thoughts, Open carry means OPEN CARRY of whatever you choose, because it's ALL about choice.
Back in the day, people open carried muskets, INTO taverns, got cocked and all Revolutionary, and nary shot a'one who didn't NEED a shootin'.
To NOT exercise a right is to LOSE a right.
YOUR fear does NOT exceed MY RIGHT!
If rifles scare you, perhaps you should see a therapist, like a Certified Firearms Instructor. I've heard MORE common sense and logic in gun classes than I've ever heard from any MD. Go figger, huh?

Wait..OP.......what is it OK TO open carry?

Please go down the list and let me know where the cutoff is....

Long guns:
AK
AR
Garand
03 Springfield
Winchester lever gun
Percussion musket
Flintlock

Handguns:

Tec-9
S&W 29
SAA
Cap and Ball revolver

Non-firearm
Machete
Ka-Bar Belt knife
Buck folder in a belt sheath
Pocket knife with a clip
Pointed stick

the only question that has any bearing is: Is the behavior lawful

If it is, then it's his decision to make....you se your own limits.

Disclosure: I do not open carry, or habitually carry concealed, but I respect the right and choice of others to do so.

Oh.....and maybe the dude in the lnked article was "Smug" because he had a10% off coupon, or just scored some .22

Open carry, IMO, is stupid. Sorry if you don't like that, but it's my belief. It offers no advantages, and please spare the 'quicker to draw' fallacy - it's not. If you're in a competition, maybe it offers some benefits, but for defensive carry I don't believe it does much good. I have no problem with it, and it's your right do to so if your local law allows, but like you I would choose to conceal if given the choice. Just my $0.02, you don't have to agree.

The whole point is that these stunts make gun owners look like flaming morons. That guy got what should be expected by carrying a firearm into an airport, especially an AR, an that was a ride in the back of the cruiser. If you want support gun rights, do it a civil manner, not walking into airports, Strabucks, Target, Jack in the Box, and on and on. How'd those all turn out? Again...as expected.

We need to think of how the broader public views these 'displays'. Like or not, they form an opinion and draw an inference from the acts of a few dipshits like the guy in the article. It's the same thought process anti gunners use in mass shootings to try and drum up bullshit laws...take the acts of a few madmen and try to broadcast that behavior on all guns and all lawful gun owners (even though they'll say they respect lawful gun ownership as lip service).

Honestly I dont know what to say about this. Open carry being legit legal then so be it no law breaking going on however you need to expect to be questioned about why, its a normal reaction for someone to feel uncomfortable with a person carrying a long gun into a crowded setting especially at an airport, we all have seen the you tube videos of people doing similar things and actually being ok and respectful when being questioned about it. The article says the guy was "Smug" whatever that means, but the second it even touches another person then the guy is jammed up bottom line, you cant justify that. I might get beat up for saying this but there is no reason to bring an AR into an airport to make a statement. Common sense ussually gos a long way.

My thoughts, Open carry means OPEN CARRY of whatever you choose, because it's ALL about choice.
Back in the day, people open carried muskets, INTO taverns, got cocked and all Revolutionary, and nary shot a'one who didn't NEED a shootin'.
To NOT exercise a right is to LOSE a right.
YOUR fear does NOT exceed MY RIGHT!
If rifles scare you, perhaps you should see a therapist, like a Certified Firearms Instructor. I've heard MORE common sense and logic in gun classes than I've ever heard from any MD. Go figger, huh?

You're forgetting the part about common sense. I have no problem with open carry. Do it to your hearts content. BUT, common sense should tell you that carrying an AR into an airport for a cup of coffee is going to get you into a world of trouble. Following your logic try open carrying into a post office and see what happens to you. Sometimes just because you can, doesn't mean you should. What I hate about these stories is that the person involved is trying to make a point in a place he will never win. All he did was lose his right to "legally" own a gun, is now a criminal and he's probably "F"ed for life. Some point he made. You want to prove a point. Open carry a handgun and he probably would have been OK.

Do what you want but in today's climate you have to be smart about the stand you make. The biggest statement you can make is sticking it to them in a method that they can't do anything too you. An airport is not that place.

I've been called a pussy for this before and Im sure I will again. Open carry, in the context of securing or gaining gun rights, runs contrary to the ideals of that effort.

ALL it does is play into the hands of *******s like Shannon Watts and others like her, so she can spin it (easily) to make it as if gun owners are a bunch of Neanderthals attempting to scare people.

In TX Open Carry, many of them WERE attempting to scare Moms Demand Action - sorry, that's just ignorant and ****ing ignorant to the extreme. We aren't out to scare people and face it, some people will never be comfortable around guns, they have that right to be uncomfortable - and while its all fine and well to say "their discomfort doesn't trump my rights," realize that when they control the message, it ****ing DOES trump your rights or WILL trump your rights in due course.

We're winning the war against the anti gun forces every day. Every day there's a victory, but they still have control over the press and the press has control over the country, which is, sad to say, mostly incapable of forming an original thought without the aid of the media and their corporate sponsored messaging.

Why give the likes of Shannon Watts a win?

Open carry, IMO, is stupid. Sorry if you don't like that, but it's my belief. It offers no advantages, and please spare the 'quicker to draw' fallacy - it's not. If you're in a competition, maybe it offers some benefits, but for defensive carry I don't believe it does much good. I have no problem with it, and it's your right do to so if your local law allows, but like you I would choose to conceal if given the choice. Just my $0.02, you don't have to agree.

The whole point is that these stunts make gun owners look like flaming morons. That guy got what should be expected by carrying a firearm into an airport, especially an AR, an that was a ride in the back of the cruiser. If you want support gun rights, do it a civil manner, not walking into airports, Strabucks, Target, Jack in the Box, and on and on. How'd those all turn out? Again...as expected.

We need to think of how the broader public views these 'displays'. Like or not, they form an opinion and draw an inference from the acts of a few dipshits like the guy in the article. It's the same thought process anti gunners use in mass shootings to try and drum up bullshit laws...take the acts of a few madmen and try to broadcast that behavior on all guns and all lawful gun owners (even though they'll say they respect lawful gun ownership as lip service).

This, This, 1000 times this.

Glad to see a lot of sensible opinions here. I support the right to open carry, but as others said - just because you can doesn't mean you should. A hard adversarial "in your face" methodology on this issue will not win over society. It will just piss them off.

So according to your rules, people shouldn't open carry? I have an idea. Lets ban guns completely. That way people like you won't get butt hurt when people practice constitutional rights.[banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]

These are pointless and divisive threads.

The guy in the article thought it was a good idea - he may (or may not, depending on what happens down the road) have a bad outcome.
Some here say about OC:handgun yes, rifle no (Or What an Irresponsible Ass, making us look bad!!!!!!)

OP: would you have posted this if it were an OC handgun?

Since open carry of long guns is unlawful in Mass (unless lawfully engaged in hunting) it's more-or-less moot as a local issue, but it's just as wrong for one of us to say, "You should not engage in lawful activity if it will somehow offend someone," as it is for an Anti to say, "You should not carry a gun, because it scares me."

So according to your rules, people shouldn't open carry? I have an idea. Lets ban guns completely. That way people like you won't get butt hurt when people practice constitutional rights.[banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]

Banning guns are your words, not mine. I never said that. And, they're not my "rules", they're my opinion. Like some others have said already; just because you can open carry doesn't mean it's prudent to do so. I respect the right to open carry, I just wouldn't do it myself.

Sorry , it's asshattery .
You can scream all you want about, "IT'S MY RIGHT!!"
Dillholes like him will be the reason you lose it.

Open carry is fine, just open carry because that is what you do. Don't be a tool and open carry as a photo op thinking your cool, don't pose for photo's, etc. Just do your thing, don't be a gimmick.

I do find it funny that so many people here nay say open carry, but drop the idea of a gun friendly cook out/gathering and you will get flooded with people asking if it is open carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom