Here I go again, another question

What actually constitutes concealed carry? By that I mean if you are carrying your weapon in your satchel, or fanny pack or one of those
gun sleeves designed to look like an organizer...
It seems logical (I know) that as long as it an extension of your body and not visible, then it is properly concealed.

Are you wondering if said conditions constitute adequate concealment? Or are you wondering if a CCW permit is required to carry like that?

Most places your answers will be yes and yes, respectively.

Interesting Question...

There is no law against carrying openly in Massachusetts, so the need to keep it hidden is not truly a legal one - except that you can be charged with the 'reaction' of other people such as "Creating a Riot", "Disturbing the Peace", etc.

Basic definition of what a Class 'A' permit requires is "under your direct control". Most of us have come to the conclusion that this generally means "On your person" for a variety of reasons. For example, you could get into a world of trouble if you left that fancy day-planner in the meeting room and left by accident.

As for what is 'concealed' and what is not is really up to the person who makes that decision. Many of the Fanny Packs and 'Gun Wear' style carriers can scream "I HAVE A GUN" to those that know and be totally undetectable by those that are clueless.

On the other hand, bending the wrong way, guns that don't sit right, etc that leave obvious bulges in the wrong places can also trigger the panic ridden liberal. Same with the shirt or jacket that rides up.

I STRONGLY recommend taking a carry course of some kind that addresses these issues. GOAL offers a very nice one at a reasonable cost.

The real key is to get comfortable with the gun and just make it a part of your routine. I've heard some recommend dressing around the gun, while others recommend planning the gun around your wardrobe. Either way works, but you need to decide what is comfortable and effective for you.

Another key is that "NOBODY KNOWS". Seriously. Consider it a very strong secret. People I work with who KNOW I teach have no idea if I carry. They simply can not tell, and I never tell. Consider the question to be just as inappropriate as asking a women her age - perhaps more so.

Under the wrong circumstances, carrying openly in MA is an invitation to your police chief to yank your LTC.

Open carry at your own risk.

Open carry while at your gun club is another matter entirely.

Thanks for all the input

But just a clarification..I am NOT talking about carrying open..

I'm talking about carrying concealed, BUT inside a bag, briefcase, satchel, towel, diaper, etc.

I hope I am speaking English and being specific enough.

News Shooter said:
What actually constitutes concealed carry? By that I mean if you are carrying your weapon in your satchel, or fanny pack or one of those
gun sleeves designed to look like an organizer...
It seems logical (I know) that as long as it an extension of your body and not visible, then it is properly concealed.

Technically, legally fine -- but I share Chris's concern that if you carry off of your body, you risk inadvertently leaving your gun behind, and creating yourself a real mess!

This has happened to good people many times before, and will no doubt happen again.

Don't let the next one be you. [oops] [oops] [oops]

News Shooter: so what, exactly, is your question? Are you asking is it legal it carry off-body but concealed? Are asking is it wise to carry off-body but concealed?

What is your question? Please be more specific.

I believew the NS was asking if the firearm was not ON your body, but in your direct control and hidden (i.e. fake attache, etc.), is that concealed carry. Darius answered it - yes, it's legal, but not recommended because it could be left behind.

"There is no law against carrying openly in Massachusetts."

Well, now I'm confused (nothing new there). I know this is off the topic here, but I recall reading in the Outdoor Message some time ago that revealing a firearm in public in unlawful except for hunting, ceremonies, and re-enactments.
Or am I mis-remembering (also known as having a Senior Moment).?:D
JT

In an improper context, such as in the suburbs or in the city, open carry in MA is a very bad idea.

In other places, like a gun club, open carry is almost expected.

Context matters.

For what it is worth, black letter law in MA is silent on whether an LTC-holder is allowed to carry openly, or whether concealment is required.

Just one of those things.

jacobtowne said:
"There is no law against carrying openly in Massachusetts."

Well, now I'm confused (nothing new there). I know this is off the topic here, but I recall reading in the Outdoor Message some time ago that revealing a firearm in public in unlawful except for hunting, ceremonies, and re-enactments.
Or am I mis-remembering (also known as having a Senior Moment).?:D
JT

I think some of this is co-mingled info on long gun laws and handgun laws.

- In 1998 they made it illegal to have an "Uncased" long gun on a public way (note: locks are irrelevant here). Then they modified it to "allow" uncased carry for re-enactments, ceremonies, and parades. Hunters still can not be on a public way with an uncased long gun.

- Handguns: As Darius points out, the law is "silent" on open carry. BUT every chief I have spoken with will tell you that open carry (except while legally hunting, on a shooting range, LEO/Military on duty, or on your own property) will get you deemed "UNsuitable person" status and almost certainly get your LTC revoked/refusal for renewal if you do it intentionally. If accidental and the police respond and you cover up, the first warning will probably earn a "pass" (except in Dedham).

Thank you for the information. It appears that we break the law when hunting. Parking a truck on the side of the road, and carrying a shotgun into the woods, we violate the law until we are off the town right-of-way?
JT

jacobtowne said:
Thank you for the information. It appears that we break the law when hunting. Parking a truck on the side of the road, and carrying a shotgun into the woods, we violate the law until we are off the town right-of-way?
JT

Yes, and that is a 10 year felony for any gun with "hi-cap" capability! I think it is a 5 year jail term for "low cap" guns.

Carry a sleeve case, keep it in the case until you hit the woods and you'll be fine. ANYTHING can be a case . . . basically it has to be "out of sight" to be legal.

Actually there could be.

It is illegal to dischage a firearm within 150 feet of a hard surfaced road or 500 feet of a dwelling that you do not have permission of the owner. Thus you can not be legally "actively hunting" right off the truck parked on the side of the road in most cases. And in fact, if you are in the "right of way" which usually extends beyond the paved section, you need a case as well.

(M.G.L. C 131 S 58 and M.G.L. C 269 S 12D)

Yes, it is splitting hairs, but that is how it is worded. Chief Glidden cautions about this in the 5th edition of his book on Page 21.

Also, beaware that if you come out of the woods onto a road, you are currently expected to have some kind of soft case to place your firearm into. Chief Glidden advises LEOs to use their best judgement in such cases as sending a hunter back into the woods may be more dangerous than to permit them to walk on the public way depending on the situation. In any case, when you approach a road, unload and carry a soft case like a gun sock.

Dedham Story?

You mentioned the town of Dedham. I assume that are referring to the guy whose coat blew open in the wind, while he was carrying a pizza? And the local LEO caught a quick glimce of this holstered handgun. The Dedham police wanted to yank his LTC. And this guy had a huge firearms collection so it was going to be a very sad story.

Can I ask if anyone knows the "end of this story?"

If nothing else this kind of story shows us how "interpetation of the law" can affect the law abiding citizen.

I for one will not go for my pizzas in Dedham.......

Re: Dedham Story?

traveler57 said:
You mentioned the town of Dedham. I assume that are referring to the guy whose coat blew open in the wind, while he was carrying a pizza? And the local LEO caught a quick glimce of this holstered handgun. The Dedham police wanted to yank his LTC. And this guy had a huge firearms collection so it was going to be a very sad story.

Can I ask if anyone knows the "end of this story?"

If nothing else this kind of story shows us how "interpetation of the law" can affect the law abiding citizen.

I for one will not go for my pizzas in Dedham.......

It is my understanding that the Dedham chief yanked his license and this has been in litigation for >2 years now!

To date, no resolution in favor of the former LTC-holder! So there is no "end" of this story to date . . . unless you consider that he lost his LTC and right to possess firearms to be an "end".

Back
Top Bottom