• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide on a new Pistol

Have you considered the XD series from Springfield? I find them very comfortable to shoot, Easy to strip, and reliable.

Yet ANOTHER suggestion of a gun not available new in the OP's state. So much for reading comprehension - assuming either poster bothered to read much at all.[rolleyes]

Scrivener, you continue to post your rude BS, and have yet to make any real contribution to the thread. Is your whole purpose of being on the forum to point out when someone makes a mistake?

If only you were as perfect as you think. Roll your little eyes all you want. Nobody gives a rat's ass about your opinion. I thought you would have figured that out on your hiatus?

Thanks for the replies. Some decent suggestions. Don't hate on the tupperware guns. I already have a M&P40c and a G23. I say no sigs because the price of a new one I can build a complete AR-15. IMHO thats not a sensible purchase for a pistol. I would like to keep the cost under 550 TOTAL. Ya, some may call me cheap, but whatever...to each their own.

I see in the OP you are considering the PPS as an option,however due to your budget of under $550 it will probally have to be a second hand purchase..unless the Walther prices have come down.
IIRC I paid around $600(new) for one in 9mm.

I see in the OP you are considering the PPS as an option,however due to your budget of under $550 it will probally have to be a second hand purchase..unless the Walther prices have come down.
IIRC I paid around $600(new) for one in 9mm.

Nothing wrong with a used gun, as long as it isn't some cheap POS. Used Glock would probably be right in the OP's price range.

Nothing wrong with a used gun, as long as it isn't some cheap POS. Used Glock would probably be right in the OP's price range.

I would not buy a "used" glock in MA. Not going to pay the outrageous prices that dealers and private sellers ask for. You can buy a BRAND NEW glock in MA, just have to find a dealer willing to sell one to you. 550 for a new glock in MA is a good buffer but know that I can get one cheaper than that NEW.

I agree with you 100%
I was under the impression the OP was shopping around for a NEW handgun,my bad.

Trying to avoid used. Really looking for a NEW pistol.

Asuming this is for a carry gun
I prefer the slim profile & ergonomics of PPS for CC over the M&Pc.
I actually sold my M&P9c it did'nt work as a carry gun for me.

For a full size handgun the Ruger SR9 would fit the bill @ around $400 +/-
,I belive its MA approved.

sr9-1.jpg

Another vote for the PPS in 9mm. You can probably get one within your budget, but you should really budget for a trigger job if you get the horrible Mass trigger.

I like my PPS as well but I agree the trigger sucks. I picked mine up used for $500 from a MA resident so I got stuck with the crappy MA trigger. Gonna call S&W one of these days and see if I can get the parts for the standard trigger.

That being said its still a great gun.

Scrivener, you continue to post your rude BS, and have yet to make any real contribution to the thread. Is your whole purpose of being on the forum to point out when someone makes a mistake?

If only you were as perfect as you think. Roll your little eyes all you want. Nobody gives a rat's ass about your opinion. I thought you would have figured that out on your hiatus?

You simply have to understand where Scriv is coming from, and his style. I realized long ago that Scriv's MO is to point out people's folley in giving advice when they are in err about the information/advice they are trying to provide. His motive is so the people making the query do not make a decision based upon inaccurate information. It shows he actually cares that folks here do not make bad choices or perform actions which could get them into trouble.

What most people here have a problem with is his abrasive style of doing so, which normally consists of him pointing out the error with harsh and abrupt insults. It is simply a style. You cannot take it personally and get angry, for it is not like he knows you in person or you know him. Message boards should stay impersonal to a point, yes.

Anyone here who makes what we perceive to be "OK" comments in their mind may get "Scrived", as it is known, due to our own error. But looking at the broadest context of his comments, he is not doing anything wrong. I have gotten Scrived a couple of times, and gotten a few neg reps from him because of it. I have also gotten a kudo or two from him when the condition warrented it. I've Scrived him back as well, and when he crosses my personal line, I just tell him to STFU, and he does.

Really nothing wrong with any of it in my mind. In fact, it is kind of fun. I kiss nobody's ass. I type what I type, and other opines be damned. If I feel or realize I was in err, I admit it and try to not make the same mistake in the future. We're only bloody human.

You simply have to understand where Scriv is coming from, and his style. I realized long ago that Scriv's MO is to point out people's folley in giving advice when they are in err about the information/advice they are trying to provide. His motive is so the people making the query do not make a decision based upon inaccurate information. It shows he actually cares that folks here do not make bad choices or perform actions which could get them into trouble.

What most people here have a problem with is his abrasive style of doing so, which normally consists of him pointing out the error with harsh and abrupt insults. It is simply a style. You cannot take it personally and get angry, for it is not like he knows you in person or you know him. Message boards should stay impersonal to a point, yes.

Anyone here who makes what we perceive to be "OK" comments in their mind may get "Scrived", as it is known, due to our own error. But looking at the broadest context of his comments, he is not doing anything wrong. I have gotten Scrived a couple of times, and gotten a few neg reps from him because of it. I have also gotten a kudo or two from him when the condition warrented it. I've Scrived him back as well, and when he crosses my personal line, I just tell him to STFU, and he does.

Really nothing wrong with any of it in my mind. In fact, it is kind of fun. I kiss nobody's ass. I type what I type, and other opines be damned. If I feel or realize I was in err, I admit it and try to not make the same mistake in the future. We're only bloody human.

I admitted my mistake. I just see it as unnecessary to only chime in on a thread to point out an error. I see no need to point things out in the way he did. Mistakes are made everyday. Being the guy that just chimes in to point it out is rude. That is my opinion. Not everyone is a MA law expert. And the fact that he points things out in a rude abrupt style is what aggravates me. If you want to help, be helpful, and being a dick isn't helpful to anyone or necessary in any way. I have been corrected by a few others and I am OK with that, as they were polite and helpful with their corrections. If everyone here was a dick whenever someone made a mistake this forum would suck. Most are not like that, that's why NES is such a good forum.

Enough of this, lets drop this and let the OP have his thread.

I am thinking about adding a new pistol to the collection and would like some oppinions on what to get. I would like to keep my caliber consistent with .40 but was thinking about getting a 9mm because ammo is cheaper. My current thoughts are the following:

New Glock 27
New Glock 26
New Glock 19
Walther PPS..???

What else? No Sigs...for the price of a new sig, you are in AR territory.

TIA

I say a Glock 19.
For some reason my brother and I kept selling them but then we miss them so much we have to buy them again. I think together we've bought and sold 7 maybe. I'm never selling the one I just recently got. Ever.

I have the G26 and the G34 and I am holding a friend's G17 right now. None of them feel as perfect as the G19.

I will be using it as a home defense pistol.

thank you scrivener!

chill... we get the point without 3 posts in a row!

To the OP: Tack on my +1 for the M&P, but still will tell you the sig is worth the money you spend on it. There is a huge difference between my sig and glock. If you want to try mine out (sig or M&P), shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is try before you buy. If someone has one of the guns you are considering, and is willing to let you try it, I would take them up on it.

Can we not make this a handgun compliance thread? Please? We only have about 50,000 of them on the forum. If you want to talk about that crap, confine it to gun laws subforum. (better yet, you can post in the FAQ I stickied there, although you probably won't if you bother to read the thread. ) The rest of us have moved on... oh, several years ago... [laugh]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...p/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

-Mike

Last edited:
Sig 226 two tone or a Sig 239 for CCW. The S&W M&P 9 and 40 are really nice. I own all 3 and they are a dream to shoot, but the M&P is by far the most accurate, although a little tough on the trigger pull.

A glock 19 and 26 own both, both awesome.but ever since I got my keltec p3at I only carry that or the 1911. It mattered what your doing with this gun.
If u want a carry get a kahr pm9 I've seen them go for 550 some places in ma. If it's a range gun do the g19

Thanks for the replies. Some decent suggestions. Don't hate on the tupperware guns. I already have a M&P40c and a G23. I say no sigs because the price of a new one I can build a complete AR-15. IMHO thats not a sensible purchase for a pistol. I would like to keep the cost under 550 TOTAL. Ya, some may call me cheap, but whatever...to each their own.

How about an S&W 3rd gen like a 5906? Or, how about a revolver?

I personally disagree with the logic of not wanting to buy a SIG because they cost as much as a rifle. For $550, you could buy a nice shotgun or bolt action but that doesn't mean the Glock is somehow not worth it. Also, you said you want oa new gun and that is going to make a Glock difficult since MA dealers aren't allowed to sell you a new Glock.

Of course, you are legally allowed to buy a new Glock, CZ75 or pretty much any other normal handgun (except AR pistols and similar) and they can be found. You just need to look hard and be patient.

If you REALLY want a NEW handgun, then I guess the Glocks are going to be out. Even used you're going to be at or over your limit depending on the model.

The M&Ps sell really well, and everyone I know who has one likes them, but I can't personally comment as I've never fired one. If it's for the range I'd highly recommend the Beretta 92FS. A bit big for comfortable daily carry though.

Back
Top Bottom