• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide on a new Pistol

I am thinking about adding a new pistol to the collection and would like some oppinions on what to get. I would like to keep my caliber consistent with .40 but was thinking about getting a 9mm because ammo is cheaper. My current thoughts are the following:

New Glock 27
New Glock 26
New Glock 19
Walther PPS..???

What else? No Sigs...for the price of a new sig, you are in AR territory.

TIA

There are plenty of 1911's chambered in 9mm. That would get my vote as well, considering you don't want a Sig (which would be my first vote).

I am trying to avoid .45 as well. I dont want a shelf queen nor do I want to pay the price for .45 ammo. Thanks though.

Who said anything about caliber?

The 1911 design has been chambered in everything from .22 to .45. Take off the Teutonic Tupperware blinders.

Arma Lite AR-24 9mm or a CZ-07. I have tried the Arma-Lite, sweet as hell. 2 of us put 1000 rounds through it in an afternoon and never even a hiccup. I have read good reviews on the CZ.

Also, if ammo price is a concern, why not reload and cast? It saves tons of money and will allow you to shoot more. Just a thought. Cast bullets shoot well, and are nearly free.

Arma-Lite was @ $550-650, depending on model, and I believe the CZ is about the same.

1911 is also a good choice, though more costly.

Last edited:
What, No Sigs? OK then...there is
The Rubbermaid 26
The Tupperware 30
The Saranwrap 22

All are available in .40 caliber and are microwave and dishwasher safe.

I wouldn't buy an AR either. The last one I fired was returned in 89 just before my discharge and I swore I'd never depend on one again. They never should have replaced the M-14

I've shot all the Glocks you listed and found the 19 the easiest to shoot. If you don't want a 1911 but don't dislike Browning, how about a Hi Power in 9mm. It's a great shooter but usually expensive. A K frame S&W revolver is also nice.

If you are buying it to carry the PPS is a good choice. Target shooting I would say M&P9 if you want to keep the cost down.

Arma Lite AR-24 9mm or a CZ-07. I have tried the Arma-Lite, sweet as hell. 2 of us put 1000 rounds through it in an afternoon and never even a hiccup.

And where is the ArmaLite on the AFR?

Your suggestion about buying a press is better.

Unless you plan on reloading, get a 9mm.
Sounds like you really want a Glock & I don't blame you, Like Tony the tiger says "Their great"!
For the range get the 17. For carry get the 26 & if you want to try to do both, get the 19.

Thanks for the replies. Some decent suggestions. Don't hate on the tupperware guns. I already have a M&P40c and a G23. I say no sigs because the price of a new one I can build a complete AR-15. IMHO thats not a sensible purchase for a pistol. I would like to keep the cost under 550 TOTAL. Ya, some may call me cheap, but whatever...to each their own.

You seem set on a Glock, so I'd say go for it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. If cost is your only factor for not wanting a Sig, then look at the CPO or used market. There are tons of Used and CPO Sigs out there for less than $550. I've got a 9mm P226 that i paid 500 for, and I'm looking at a .40 P229 for $545.

And where is the ArmaLite on the AFR?

Your suggestion about buying a press is better.

Sorry, being a free stater I am clueless about Mass's suck laws. Also forgot to see where the OP was from. Sorry. Don't think it necessitates making me look like an idiot, but whatever. When you have never had to deal with a problem, how do you know it exists? Anyway, it's great you chime in to insult people twice without really making any real suggestion to the OP. And what happened while I was away? I swear you were banned. I didn't know I was required to to a Mass laws refresher course before posting. I will do that next time. Pointing out it's not MA legal without being a smart ass would have sufficed.

Last edited:
What do you want to do with it? I like my tupperware (Glock 19) WAY more than I thought I would, it's a great carry gun and does most everything well. If you're thinking of using mostly for target shooting, IDPA, etc.. get a 5 inch barrel.

Carl, that STI is gorgeous. Timber should get one. [laugh]

Sorry, being a free stater I am clueless about Mass's suck laws. Also forgot to see where the OP was from.

Yet you presumed to advise him while being ignorant of those two key facts.

I didn't know I was required to to a Mass laws refresher course before posting. I will do that next time. Pointing out it's not MA legal without being a smart ass would have sufficed.

I would have thought being on the board for almost a year would have been MORE than sufficient notice of MA laws. If I appeared to be a "smart ass" for asking a simple question, it was probably a function of the clear contrast between us.

Yet you presumed to advise him while being ignorant of those two key facts.

I would have thought being on the board for almost a year would have been MORE than sufficient notice of MA laws. If I appeared to be a "smart ass" for asking a simple question, it was probably a function of the clear contrast between us.

I suggested a nice reliable gun. It's not my problem whether or not it's legal in MA. And you appear to be a smart ass for the way you word your comment. I know of some MA laws, but seeing as they have no relevance on what I may or may not purchase or how I conduct myself in NH I see no reason to become an expert.

And regardless of how long I have been a member, why the hell would I spend my time researching something that will NEVER have any affect on me whatsoever?

And as far as me advising someone while being ignorant of 2 key facts, I FORGOT to see where the OP was from. I wouldn't have suggested anything had I noticed he was from MA.

And for the record, simply pointing out that MA laws prohibit such a firearm is sufficient. Go ask 10 NH members what the list of firearms not allowed in MA contains, I bet most won't know all of them. And for that matter, I bet they don't care either.

I had always heard you were an A-Hole. This forum would be so much better if you were still banned. I also thought getting banned would have changed your A-Hole status. That evidently didn't happen.

OP, sorry. Did not intend this to result from a simple suggestion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom