• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help choosing first gun....

Hello everyone, I just wanted to get some of the veterans oppinions on what gun I should get for my first one. Just turned 21 and decided to excersize my right to bear arms. Should be getting my LTC Class A ALP within the next month, just waiting on my card so I am very excited! I do not know much about guns so the more info that I can get the better. If anyone wants to put their imput in on what guns they like that would be awesome! Thank you everyone for you help in advanced!

22 if you are new to shooting, ammo is cheap and you can practice way more.
If you have expierence...

9mm or .45 In a mid size frame so you can carry but also have some barrel length to sight with. SIG, Beretta, or Smith and wesson.

If you like the revolvers, k-frame .357 4 inch-2inch barrel, and you can shoot cheaper 38's out of them.

Best answer, buy a 22, a 45, a 9mm, and a 357.

Get a good .22 (ruger mkII or mkIII) It's a ball to shoot and you can work on all your shooting fundamentals. THEN go buy your carry gun.

I'm a huge SIG fan but I'll say you can get a nice used Ruger for less then the P22. Accuracy and reliability they're about the same (the Ruger may even have the edge). Pay less, spend more money on ammo & shoot more [grin]

Welcome!

I cannot recommend the Ruger Mark II enough. Personally, I'd skip a new Mark III and find yourself a used Mark II. They can be had for short money, are crazy reliable, accurate, robust and just plain fun to shoot. As Mike-Mike wisely stated, you can work on shooting fundamentals and prepare for bigger, badder, better....If you can swing it, buy a companion to your Mark II, by getting yourself a Ruger 10/22 rifle... You'll be GTG.

Welcome aboard! [cheers]

I'd go for a 22 first right now hands down.

I just bought a Ruger MKIII to improve my accuracy, and since I don't like to shoot more of the larger calibers than I can find on the shelves to replace. [rolleyes] Not only can you shoot more rounds in a session with a 22 due to lower recoil, you can both afford the ammunition and find it at the stores! You also don't need to get some super-shooter version of the 22s. The basic level MKIII doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I think it will be a long, long time before I am better than the gun. Plus, it was cheap!

You can start your search for you carry gun by doing research now, and as you learn more you will probably meet plenty of people at the range willing to share their opinions with you. I love my HK45C, my 38 Special J frame snubby S&W and my little Seecamp 32. They all have different roles, and I like each for its strengths. If you look around enough, you'll find one or more you can't resist bringing home with you. The hard part is narrowing it down. [wink]

Welcome to the club!

My first gun was my primary day carry weapon... A Kel Tec PF-9 9mm that I got for $275 at Riley's. I wanted protection first after some things happened at my apt.

I then got a Rugar Mark III for .22 plinking. I had that gun for about 6 months, ended up selling it to a friend. Take down and cleaning was a major pain. I ended up picking up a Beretta NEOS U22 .22LR pistol. (Got the blue grips too) Takes down and puts back together in minutes, and I used it to iron site cert at all of the ranges at my club. 48 steps to re-assemble is down to about 5. Very easy to handle and cheap to fire.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02. [grin]

If your going to carry spend the money and take a good concealed carry course. Take one at a reputable school. Having the gun is only part of the pie. And get a gun you can train, and carry with. Check out the S&W M&P line (9mm) or if you can find one, a Glock 19. Simple, reliable and functional. Dont go crazy on it, just keep it simple. Save your money for training, and ammo.

IMHO, one's first gun should be a .22 revolver. Cheap to shoot, very safe to handle and causes one to focus on shot placement versus spray and pray. You'll have plenty of time to load, drop and reload later

IMHO, one's first gun should be a .22 revolver. Cheap to shoot, very safe to handle and causes one to focus on shot placement versus spray and pray. You'll have plenty of time to load, drop and reload later

I agree, a .22 revolver is an excellent starting point for a newbie.

Do you belong to a club? If so, try out as many types and calibers as you can. Most members are generous in this regard. If you haven't joined a club yet, you can go to a private range and rent what you want. I agree you should start with a .22. Either buy a .22 handgun or a center fire and a .22 conversion kit.

I agree with going for a 22 first. You may be like me though and want the best coolest wonder pistol you read about in the gun rags. I literally got my LTC, drove 40 minutes to Four Seasons and handed the guy cash for a HK USP 40 without even holding the gun. Turned out that it was too big for me and i traded it for a used glock 17 (ya i got porked on that one too but that happens when your new to the game). Go buy some 9mm, 40 S&W 22LR and 45 ACP and go to the range. (hopefully you already joined a club) Most people will let you try there gun especially if you supply the ammo.
Or, go to a range that rents guns and try a few. see what you like. its cheaper to rent guns then buy it not like it then lose money on the trade in.
Try American Firearms School in Attleboro. they are the only one I know of in eastern mass that rents guns.

good luck and Welcome.

I generally agree on a 22 as your first gun. You can't go wrong with a Ruger or S&W semi-auto or a good .22 revolver.

If you really must have a center fire semi-auto, my choice would be a Sig in 9mm.

Lots of good recommendations to get a .22 as your first. And I agree with them wholeheartedly. That said...

When I got my first gun I was given the same (very good) advice, but I wanted a "real" gun. I completely understand this impulse. So if you can't get past this impulse, my second recommendation would be to get a full size pistol 9mm. It's the next cheapest ammo, the recoil is pretty easy, and it's a good defensive caliber. I like the Sig226 myself. YMMV.

But, get a .22 to go with it. Even 9mm is pricey these days.

Although the sig is a very good pistol.... and im not trying to get into a debate here.... as an instructor, i have found that any traditional double action gun is difficult to learn. Why add in something else to master (two trigger pulls) when its hard to concentrate on the other fundamentals. That being said.... I usually dont suggest a specific model but give some thought to this. Get a glock 17. usually not too hard to find, not too pricey, reliable, easy to maintain, safe and cheap to shoot. its a 9mm so ammo is somewhat reasonable. Now go and get an Advantage Arms (not a ceiner) 22 cal conversion kit. It will include a magazine and the complete upper. I recommend the Advantage arms over the ceiner because it uses actual Glock sights (not the tiny sights john ceiner mills into his uppers). Now you only have one sight picture to master, one trigger pull to master and one manual of arms to master. You gave a real gun in a real caliber and a cheap way to learn. The price of the conversion kit is a wash after you save a ton of money shooting 22's over 9mm.

My final thought..... The only thing I caution new shooters on with the Glock is the procedure for takedown. (1.remove the magazine, 2.rack the slide to eject the round, 3.visually and tactilly verify that the gun is unloaded, 4.release the slide, 5.point gun in safe direction and 6.pull the trigger........etc) I bought a Glock 23 from a nice nine fingered newbee (who switched step one for step two, ignored 3 and 5) for a ridiculously low price.

no matter what you buy, safety is paramount.

congrats on the license, where about are you in leominster? hopefully you got out to the fitchburg gun show and at least got to handle a bunch of stuff to see what you liked in your hand.

if when you're licensed and want to shoot a 9mm, .45, or an AR-15 let me know and you can check out NLRG as my guest. tele_mark, PSS, and chrisg67 are all in town here as well.

Back
Top Bottom