Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Just a point of clarification: there are two groups at Harvard now:
  1. MetroWest Tactical used to run IDPA matches but now switched to Defensive Action and PCSL. MetroWest Tactical – Action Shooting Sports Enthusiasts
  2. NER IDPA has taken over the IDPA program. New England Regional IDPA - New England Region IDPA @ Harvard Sportsman Club, shootner.com, massachusetts idpa, idpa matches massachusetts, neridpa

I say "two" groups because we're talking about IDPA here and those two are the folks who used to run it and who will run it going forward. Obviously there are other groups at Harvard too (USPSA, Steel Challenge, Cowboy, etc). I have no reason to believe that the quality of the Regional match will be affected, just filling folks in on some recent news.

The 100 was getting pretty cluttered with steel casings so I bought the $13 Harbor Freight magnetic sweeper and got 3/4 of the bucket full. More to go but it should be noticeably cleaner.

Oh, and the 100 got a new broom to replace the broken one
Fantastic job there too, so many steel casings! Need to find a sand screener in need of repair.

Fantastic job there too, so many steel casings! Need to find a sand screener in need of repair.
At some point this weekend I'll do it again. The snow stopped me from sweeping it last weekend.

I also want to make sure that I don't give myself (or if I use the main trash, someone else) a hernia when they go to lift the bucket.

There should be a cap. The grounds crew works very hard but can't keep up. The steel is constantly shot down at the 100. The machinegun range looks like some people must think we have a maid service. There's a new parking lot that's almost empty most of the time because people park at the ranges where they're not shooting instead. Harvard is a great place but the board should try harder to put an end to the bullshit.

My friends and I spent 25 min cleaning up flak alley a few weeks ago. It was a junkyard. One thing that woiuld help is leave a few of those Rubbermaid Brute barrels there because there is just nothing to carry all the wood/cans/junk to the dumpster. One of my friends brought contractor bags so we had something to get it over there. I don't attribute it to malice as much as just being unprepared. If there are barrels then there is no excuse.

The empty shotgun shells tho those are over the top. If you they come out of your gun then rake them into a 5 gallon and dump them. I mean really that part is just lazy.

True. That and the plate racks or some of the others.

HSC: Go to Lowes and get a couple of trash cans and big brooms.
Really, do we have to beg for spending a few dollars on brooms and those squeegie things?

There's a new parking lot that's almost empty most of the time because people park at the ranges where they're not shooting instead.
Why would someone park at a range they're not shooting at?

One thing that woiuld help is leave a few of those Rubbermaid Brute barrels there because there is just nothing to carry all the wood/cans/junk to the dumpster.
This is a great idea.

It's probably useful to remember that, in addition to our 3000 members, we often have students and competitors who are at the club for the first time. Not knowing the lay of the land, they're likely to park where other cars already are. They're trying to be respectful but it's not like we've painted lines on the ground and hung big PARKING signs everywhere

Why would a person park at a range they're not shooting at? How about because they're too lazy to park elsewhere and have to walk farther. People who actually want to shoot there have to carry their stuff from somewhere else.

That's my point. The closer spots ARE taken. By people who aren't shooting there.
This really is circular.

Say I want to shoot at the back 40 but there are already a few cars down there so there's nowhere for me to park. I will instead park up top behind the 7 yard range. If you show up to shoot at the 7 yard range and you now have to park at the 25 yard range, well, so be it - would you rather have me leave my car by the gate so you're not inconvenienced by having to walk an extra thirty feet?

Same thing happens during matches - 80 cars can't fit in the space surrounding the action pits so many people have to park in the main lot between the club house the 7/25/50 range (never mind the fact that we shoot there too as part of the match). If that means reduced spots in that main lot, so be it. Where else would you have us park?

Thinking of joining HSC. Little confused about the process and how to meet people. Is it as overwhelming as I am making it out to be or are people very good at welcoming new members and helping them join.

Thinking of joining HSC. Little confused about the process and how to meet people. Is it as overwhelming as I am making it out to be or are people very good at welcoming new members and helping them join.
Come to a Monday or Wednesday night practice. Tell them it's your first time. Be safe and courteous. You'll be the most popular person in the room by the end of the night. Keep coming and you'll find someone who would be willing to sponsor you.

Once that's done, you'll go meet the board. (They don't bite.) If you get in between October and April, you can stay for breakfast after your safety walk the following Sunday.

As Mesatchornug said above go to one of the open practices and come back at least a few times. This is how I got my sponsorship a number of years ago. I would still be going if I could fit it into my schedule. You’ll meet a great group of people and have a ton of fun in the action pits or the indoor range. Probably come away as a better shooter and with more 2A knowledge as well. After a few times of showing that you’re not an asshat and can handle a firearm safely it shouldn’t be hard to find a sponsor.

The vetting process for HSC is one of the things that makes it a great club. The large majority of members are friendly, knowledgeable, and treat both firearms and the ranges with respect.

If you do go to one of the practices it’s best to have an outside the waistband holster and don’t load a round into the chamber until you’ve been cleared to shoot.

Practices during the winter are held at the indoor range Mondays at 6pm and Wednesdays at 5pm.

My friends and I spent 25 min cleaning up flak alley a few weeks ago. It was a junkyard. One thing that woiuld help is leave a few of those Rubbermaid Brute barrels there because there is just nothing to carry all the wood/cans/junk to the dumpster. One of my friends brought contractor bags so we had something to get it over there. I don't attribute it to malice as much as just being unprepared. If there are barrels then there is no excuse.

The empty shotgun shells tho those are over the top. If you they come out of your gun then rake them into a 5 gallon and dump them. I mean really that part is just lazy.

There used to be barrels at the action pits. People would fill them, but nobody would empty them. They took them out to encourage people to bring their trash to the dumpsters.

Back
Top Bottom