Is Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Walk-in friendly?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Massachusetts (Needham) and after researching some local clubs, settled on Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association looking like the best fit for my family. I grew up hunting in a military family and my wife is in law enforcement. With the kids coming of age and the area I live in being much different than the farmland I grew up on, I'm finding it difficult to get them introduced to gun control. I'm more into hunting, but with rifles being a no-no for hunting in this state, a pistol range and sporting clays are probably my next favorite gun past times :)

Any who, I saw that you need a sponsor to become a member. Given we are new to the area, can I just walk-in and talk to somebody about my wanting to join but not knowing any members?

Thank you,

Drew

Great first post! I have no experience with the club you mentioned, but emails work well for questions and tour scheduling at most clubs. Why not attend a public event and meet some members in person. Express your interest at the end of the event so that you can experience how they treat new people. Enjoy and welcome to the forum.

I believe skeet and trap on Sundays starting at 9:30am and Tuesdays starting at 6:30pm are open to the public. Never done it myself so I don't know for 100% certainty. Think the USPSA events are also open but once again haven't done one of those. There are a number of members on this board as well including myself but others will certainly have better info then I do. A friend of mine was a member. That is how I got my sponsorship. I know they want a new member to at least have been at the club and have shot with their sponsor.

Overall in my opinion it's a good club. I've never had an issue there with anyone. Never had an issue with availability of the ranges but I know that can happen so I'm prepared for the occurrence. Everyone I've met and talked to has been super friendly to myself and my family.

OP I was in your spot some years ago. I simply started to attend public events and got to know some folks. Check out the calendar and find something you enjoy. After a few months I asked if someone would sponsor me for membership. I've been a member now for 6-7 years. Great club and I love the ranges.

I belong to Hopkinton and live in Natick. It's a great club, very friendly.
But stopping by on random days or nights wont help only because it's rare someone on the board is hanging out in the building to answer the door. And the doors are locked to non members, and the same with the gates to the outdoor range are closed to the public. Some members might be weary of someone lingering around the lot looking to wave someone down to talk to.

Those skeet and trap shoot mentioned above is probably your best bet to go and meet somoeone.
According to the calendar the next ones are 4/7 9:30-1 4/14 9:30-1 4/16 6:30p-9p 4/21 9:30-1

I don't think I'm going out to shoot any time in the near future to help you. But maybe another NES'r will see this and have some free time to take you.
Good luck!

The calendar shows trap and skeet as every other week when using a computer but on mobile it’s weekly. There is always someone there on Tuesday evening's. We even shot last night despite the rain. Typically more skeet shooters than trap. I think sporting clays is Sunday only although I haven’t participated. I have been a member since January. I started attending trap weekly on Tuesdays and found a sponsorship. There is a ton of information on the club website as well.

I've started blasting out feelers to local law enforcement we're friends with and a coworkers. Already found a few so I'm hoping to have one of them join me for my first visit.

Lots of people I guess are members at a club in Weston but it looks a little too nice for me haha.

I've started blasting out feelers to local law enforcement we're friends with and a coworkers. Already found a few so I'm hoping to have one of them join me for my first visit.

Lots of people I guess are members at a club in Weston but it looks a little too nice for me haha.
Weston in an indoor range, very nicely kept, and run by good people. It calls itself a club, but the model is a business selling to and service customers.

Hopkinton as much less elegant indoor facilities, the paint isn't as fresh, but it has very nice outdoor rifle, pistol, skeet and trap ranges. It's a true "club" where members elect the leaders; do work to help the club (amount varies from none to extensive); and any operational surplus is for the good of the club - there are no "owners" who get paid.

Both are great places and pass the "attitude test", but they offer different products on different terms. You can even join both if you want to.

Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association

Weston Shooters Club

Back
Top Bottom