Harvard Sportsmen's Club

HSC wide brush clearing work party/parties?
A handful of helpful folks have been pitching in with the HSC cleanup, stacking up some leaves and trimming the brush/trees on the berms, especially on the sides. It has been more than a few years since there was a club wide cleanup. Good folks are stepping in and bringing some tools, hacking away at the brush and stacking it on the ends of the berms for later removal. So far the 7/25/50 and back 40 are almost done save for a few stragglers. Every little bit counts.

Any amount of time is great and the schedule is flexible, drag over a range closed sign or park at the entrance, secure both sides and start clipping and cleaning, Once everything wraps up next sunday, will be reaching out to a couple companies for estimates on getting it all ground up, good mulch for around the club.
I plan on coming Sunday morning (7 am or so) to take down some of the brush on the sides of the action pits. Hopefully there will still be some left.

I plan on coming Sunday morning (7 am or so) to take down some of the brush on the sides of the action pits. Hopefully there will still be some left.
Awesome, and thanks! we might be doing some tree clipping too for the larger ones, I don't think there is an end to the brush ever. Also some on the far side of the plate rack pit, started on that the other day.

FYI there's a USPSA match in the action pits on Sunday. Folks will probably be there by 7:30am, if not earlier, to set up.

FYI there's a USPSA match in the action pits on Sunday. Folks will probably be there by 7:30am, if not earlier, to set up.
Thanks. That’s what I feared. Unfortunately I can’t get there prior to Sunday. Maybe I’ll just go to the 100, but looks like that got cleaned up too.

Hopefully that means USPSA folks will find some time to trim before their match.

I might be able to come out sometime on Thursday, but that's about it.

@fast_st is it a pain to update us here what's been done/needs love? I know you've got a lot going on, but that might help us plan. Maybe as each of us puts in some time, we can post our own work?

Hopefully that means USPSA folks will find some time to trim before their match.

I might be able to come out sometime on Thursday, but that's about it.

@fast_st is it a pain to update us here what's been done/needs love? I know you've got a lot going on, but that might help us plan. Maybe as each of us puts in some time, we can post our own work?
Sorry for no updates, there's brush everyplace :) A handful of hard workers really did a great job so far! trees, sticks, weeds, leaves, brush and debris removed from a lot of places, 8 or 9 truckloads to date and a couple more in waiting! Even had someone volunteer to replace the fence along the action pit road. I will be looking at calling a shredding company hopefully this week!

Sorry for no updates, there's brush everyplace :) A handful of hard workers really did a great job so far! trees, sticks, weeds, leaves, brush and debris removed from a lot of places, 8 or 9 truckloads to date and a couple more in waiting! Even had someone volunteer to replace the fence along the action pit road. I will be looking at calling a shredding company hopefully this week!
Based on what i saw at the Cowboy Action Pits, I should have been more aggressive cutting back the brush on the side.

Based on what i saw at the Cowboy Action Pits, I should have been more aggressive cutting back the brush on the side.
Like Grant through Richmond Like long division, the remainder will be available for the next pass! Maybe a spring cleanup with a chipper

Caddy Shack Golf GIF

Been awhile since I have been at HSC, but noticed that I haven't received a newsletter since Sept '23, have not received a notice about '24 renewal, and no longer see a membership login on their website. Did I miss a memo? :oops:

Been awhile since I have been at HSC, but noticed that I haven't received a newsletter since Sept '23, have not received a notice about '24 renewal, and no longer see a membership login on their website. Did I miss a memo? :oops:
I haven’t seen my renewal notice yet this year. I assume it is coming.

haven't seen a specific renewal notice, but there was mention of it with a link to online renewal in the last newsletter that came on 12/24.

And I noticed the same thing on the website, there used to be a login and a forum to post on that no longer seems to be there.

There was an email “newsletter” just before Christmas. In it there was a mention that renewal notices would come after the new year.

The 100 was getting pretty cluttered with steel casings so I bought the $13 Harbor Freight magnetic sweeper and got 3/4 of the bucket full. More to go but it should be noticeably cleaner.

Oh, and the 100 got a new broom to replace the broken one

Last edited:
Got my renewal letter in the mail today. I had emailed a couple members of the board about purchasing and donating a couple steel targets for either the 100 or 200/300 ranges but never heard anything back.

Any open houses in the near future (or ever) that the public are permitted to? I just moved to Harvard and looking for a place. Seems all places in the area require sponsorship, and, well, I know no one in the area. Thanks. -Chris

Any open houses in the near future (or ever) that the public are permitted to? I just moved to Harvard and looking for a place. Seems all places in the area require sponsorship, and, well, I know no one in the area. Thanks. -Chris

Eight years from joining to first post has got to be some sort of record.

Does Harvard not do “committee sponsorships”? WSA and MRA both do.

Does Harvard not do “committee sponsorships”?

The current process at HSC is:

1) current member agrees to sponsor a new member
2) member writes a letter of recommendation to the board
3) board will schedule a face to face meeting with the sponsor and prospective member to be held at the board membership meeting (once a month)
4) new member attends the safety briefing

In the past a letter was not required. Some past behavior at the club along with a change in leadership seems to have led to the letter of recommendation requirement.

I had to look back in this thread, but the Wednesday night USPSA practice is open to visitors. That has been the suggested path in the last couple years if you don't know any current members. Calendar is here: Harvard Sportsmen's Club - Calendar - Check with event organizers.

USPSA practice is every Wednesday night at the Indoor Range

Back
Top Bottom