• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

I've recently been inducted into Harvard but have shooting there with a friend for a few years now. It's a shame to see the steel down at the 100 yard range so often. In my opinion they should replace the hanging steel with a few steel sillouhettes on posts. Seems like the chains get shot up too often.

I've recently been inducted into Harvard but have shooting there with a friend for a few years now. It's a shame to see the steel down at the 100 yard range so often. In my opinion they should replace the hanging steel with a few steel sillouhettes on posts. Seems like the chains get shot up too often.

This is what Hopkinton does but people still find a way to shoot it down unfortunately.

What is reasonable to expect for a plate to need maintenance? The 100 is a very popular range and people prefer to shoot steel. Ever try it with iron sights? Or how about offhand? News flash it isn't easy to hit a 10" steel at 100 yards. That amounts to an upper chest shot in combat. Please everybody stop saying members are delierately shooting the head of a bolt because that is ridiculous. If you witness it personally then let's have a conversation.

The steels are a great feature of HSC and they will need maintenance. With the number of members and the popularity that is standard fare managing the club.

What is reasonable to expect for a plate to need maintenance? The 100 is a very popular range and people prefer to shoot steel. Ever try it with iron sights? Or how about offhand? News flash it isn't easy to hit a 10" steel at 100 yards. That amounts to an upper chest shot in combat. Please everybody stop saying members are delierately shooting the head of a bolt because that is ridiculous. If you witness it personally then let's have a conversation.

The steels are a great feature of HSC and they will need maintenance. With the number of members and the popularity that is standard fare managing the club.

You would probably know better then me but I see a LOT of scoped rifles on the 100 yard range off the bench. I'd have to imagine when bolts are shot out those are the guys doing it.

Went to a range in west NJ of all places, where all the gongs were welded off the back on some type of spring mount to a long mounting tie-bar. The bars were 6’+ long and buried into the berm behind the gongs, so from the shooting position you can’t see any of the bars. And no cross-range/lane shooting is allowed, so as far as I know they’ve never needed repair, unless a welded part eventually broke.

But no, I am not a metallurgist and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn last night … so I have no idea what welding does to AR 500 plate.

Ohhh, using a Nat Match 308 Garand I went 8 for 8 on an 8” gong at 100Y, standing up offhand where everyone else (less my buddy who also shot offhand) was sitting down on their arses.

Gotta love it when you shoot a friend’s rifle better than they do!

My expectation is zero maintenance. 1" thick "public range target" from MGM targets requires none. 3 years and 3 months with their targets at 200 and 100. Zero maintenance and they get shot a lot. The 100 yd target is only very slightly cratered and will likely flip it around and let it get shot for another 3 years.

You would probably know better then me but I see a LOT of scoped rifles on the 100 yard range off the bench. I'd have to imagine when bolts are shot out those are the guys doing it.
I was remarking the other day that most people shoot scoped from the bench. The number that I see shooting off hand (with or without scope) is very low.

This is true at the 50 and 100. Of course, they aren’t all shooting at steel on the bench at 100.

This is probably because it can get depressing shooting at 100 yards off hand.

67ray if you saw the chains and bolt heads it might change your mind. If not, you must be a very forgiving soul. I shoot off hand with open sights. Sometimes with a rifle but mostly with a pistol. Most people shoot from the bench with rifle.

My expectation is zero maintenance. 1" thick "public range target" from MGM targets requires none. 3 years and 3 months with their targets at 200 and 100. Zero maintenance and they get shot a lot. The 100 yd target is only very slightly cratered and will likely flip it around and let it get shot for another 3 years.
I just took a look at these as well as the KYL rack they offer for rifles. Sent an email to the board offering to donate the equipment.

Who knows fellas, we might have some steel to smack by springtime!

There's already plenty of money. The issue is a**h***s not money.
Well that's certainly 50% of the equation, the other third is finding folks that want to help out on a regular basis, I did order some grade 8 carriage bolts that might work well enough. Roads are getting chewed by the freeze/thaw so have been focusing on that and rebuilding the gate.

Gerry answered above in post 1052
Indeed, what happened not through abuse like the 100yd steel, the spring took a few hits and got broken, this wouldn't pull the bar back down and then folks shot the hell out of the crossbar. We're going to repair the crossbar to get it back in alignment and the hard working caretaker of the 7/25/50 is working to source a spring of the right dimensions.

True. That and the plate racks or some of the others.

HSC: Go to Lowes and get a couple of trash cans and big brooms.
Really, do we have to beg for spending a few dollars on brooms and those squeegie things?
Completely a grand idea, there were a couple brooms over that way and a snow shovel. I suppose its a worthwhile experiment to see if the barrel gets filled and left or filled and emptied? Anyone taking bets? Kudos and thanks to the folks that help out and pitch in.

I just took a look at these as well as the KYL rack they offer for rifles. Sent an email to the board offering to donate the equipment.

I think that's a great looking rack. The only issue is the umm 'pattern of use' at HSC says that once the plates have each been shot, the next round get whistled through the crossbar. We replaced the crossbar at HSC a dozen times before switching it out for a telephone pole Mabe someone had their scope set for 1200 yards with a six shot group cutting the crossbar in half

Is this valid that the indoor range is closed or just unfortunate sign placement? The calendar has nothing for this morning and I believe it may be left over from yesterday. Anyway, I took the safer route and assumed it was closed for some reason.

IMG_2273.jpeg

Last edited:

If you do move forward with this, spend the extra money and get the 1" steel. For the post installation I used the Sika 2 part fence post foam and it worked great, no issues at all.

Is this valid that the indoor range is closed or just unfortunate sign placement? The calendar has nothing for this morning and I believe it may be left over from yesterday. Anyway, I took the safer route and assumed it was closed for some reason.

View attachment 857264
I have no idea if there's something going on today but if so it wouldn't be the first time that the calendar wasn't appropriately updated.

If you do move forward with this, spend the extra money and get the 1" steel. For the post installation I used the Sika 2 part fence post foam and it worked great, no issues at all.
Funny you mention it, I called them last week and had the same request on steel width. What is the sika foam you’re mentioning?

View attachment 857264
probably placed incorrectly after yesterday's class.

The steel is back at the 100. A little small and depressing to shoot at with a revolver but it's more of a challenge. The plate rack is back at the 25 but the bar that resets the plates, stays up.

The steel is back at the 100. A little small and depressing to shoot at with a revolver but it's more of a challenge. The plate rack is back at the 25 but the bar that resets the plates, stays up.
Gerry, did you see if the spring got knocked off? heck, if I knew this I would have pulled it before I left.

Back
Top Bottom