• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Half of guns owned by 3%

From math. lol ~318 mil people in us. 3%= ~9 mil. Approx. 300 mil guns in the US. So 300 mil guns divided by 9 mil people = 33.33333 guns per person. Which actually sounds kinda reasonable. [laugh]

ETA; Considering how many guns we sell per day at Academy Sports, apparently all 3% live here in SC. [laugh] Seriously, we sell a lot of ****ing guns!
Not from that math.

Half the guns owned by 3%, not all 300 million

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The 300m guns number was before Obama. 8 years of 10-12 million NICS checks each and record production likely has that number closer to 400m

Half of all Canon L series lenses (the high grade pro ones) are probably owned by 3% of all photographers. Proves nothing.

I'm truthfully not surprised by that statement. The only people buying most of the guns are continuing gun owners. Yes, of course we get new guys and gals along the way but the fact is many of us have a passion for them.

I'm sure many here own well beyond the average number of guns per household.

I was until that unfortunate boating accident.

The 300m guns number was before Obama. 8 years of 10-12 million NICS checks each and record production likely has that number closer to 400m

This^

Also take into account how many unknown millions of guns were already in private hands prior to GCA 68, guns which are still out there in functional condition, stashed away in grandmas attic. Many of which are war bringbacks from WW1 up to the Vietnam era. Nobody will ever know the real number so all these stats by the so-called experts are just guesses.

Guns are evil! Guns will hurt you! You are a very bad and evil person if you own guns! I do not own any guns!

BTW, I will have my display table at the Marlboro show this weekend, including TWO BPD riot guns, a Winchester from 1943 and a 1970's Remington 870 Wingmaster as well as a "new" Colt Detective Special, come check it out!
And as always, I am buying BPD marked guns.

Guns are evil! Guns will hurt you! You are a very bad and evil person if you own guns! I do not own any guns!

PART_1420413394387_IMG_20150103_143418204%20resize_zpsczwy8yg7.jpg

PART_1422142325029_IMG_20150124_085241186_zpsgk9tabgs.jpg

http://time.com/4499088/guns-us-super-owners-report/

130 million guns are owned by 3% of American adults, who each own 17 guns on average.

About 55 million Americans own guns,
with most owning an average of three each
and nearly half owning just one or two

And the best quote of the article:

"Among this group, an estimated 7.7 million Americans make up the country’s “gun super-owners,” who own between eight and 140 guns."

I don't know where they are coming up with those numbers - last time I checked the estimated number of guns in this country is up near the 300 million range -and that was determined by using government data.

Along with pushing the "3%" BS , they're also trying to seriously underestimate the total number of firearms - likely because they have something nefarious in mind.

This^

Also take into account how many unknown millions of guns were already in private hands prior to GCA 68, guns which are still out there in functional condition, stashed away in grandmas attic. Many of which are war bringbacks from WW1 up to the Vietnam era. Nobody will ever know the real number so all these stats by the so-called experts are just guesses.

It's not just bringbacks.

MA used to be a center for manufacturing firearms. I've been told that (for example) - during WW2 when stuff like BAR's were manufactured here - workers would take home stuff that failed QC and then build their own stuff at home. Sort of like that old country song about the guy who built a Cadillac by taking parts home for years.

Read thru the history books and you can see how this works. Even in countries where civilian firearm ownership is banned outright - when they degraded into revolution people with guns seem to come out of the woodwork. I remember hearing stories about how during WW2 after battles passed thru the remaining civilians would go out and pick the battlefields clean. Guns , ammunition - even tanks and howitzers would disappear off the battlefield and get hidden away.

There didn't seem to be a shortage of people running around with AK's after the Soviet Union fell apart.

I've got confidence the same dynamics would happen here.

This^

I'd wager that the bringbacks haven't stopped on this side of the pond, either. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/694959/sas-gun-amnesty-military-police-probe

well, if only 3% own guns we have work to do. Love to get that number to 50%
... no. No matter how many times this is repeated in this thread, it's NOT what the article says. Read the title one more time, slowly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so if 3% of us own half of the 500 million guns in America, that means that 3% of the US population owns 250 Million guns.

242 million adults in the USA, and 3% of that would be 7.3 million adults owning all those guns.

So for gun enthusiasts, that is 33 guns each, on average, for 7.3 million people

That seems a little high, like 2 or 3 times too high, to me. But it is in the ballpark.

Oh, you found my boat! I had all my guns on it, officer.

Never transport your guns in a Boston Whaler. They have a double hull an DON'T SINK! With a Whaler that excuse will never end well.
You: "Oh great white bureaucratic master who works for the federal government. I lost all my guns in a boating accident!"
Federal Nazi guy: " Impossible, that's a Boston Whaler. Off to the Gulag with you and all your living relatives plus your neighbors".

It is very likely that many gun owners do not respond honestly to polls regarding gun ownership. At least I hope that's the case as it is with me.
[grin]
Keep them guessing and making fools of themselves.

It is very likely that many gun owners do not respond honestly to polls regarding gun ownership. At least I hope that's the case as it is with me.
[grin]
Keep them guessing and making fools of themselves.

Exactly. I'm going to guess that a bunch of the folks who were surveyed either lied, exaggerated, or under-reported. I'd simply lie.

Also, as the Guardian so very kindly pointed out:

This kind of concentrated ownership isn’t unique to guns, firearms researchers noted. Marketing experts suggest that the most devoted 20% consumers will typically account for 80% of a product’s sales.

But that won't get much coverage, I'll bet.

And here's the cautionary article from The Federalist about the new study:

...When it comes to random strangers demanding answers from gun owners on how many and what kinds of guns they own, gun owners are going to lie, they’re going to do it with extreme prejudice, and they’re going to do it for sound reasons. As the coverage of this poll demonstrates, nobody who calls your home asking how many guns you own has your best interest in mind. Most gun owners knows this. It’s a shame the gun controllers won’t just admit it.

Well reasoned and well-written.
http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/21/journalists-need-skeptical-new-gun-study-ownership/

...When it comes to random strangers demanding answers from gun owners on how many and what kinds of guns they own, gun owners are going to lie, they’re going to do it with extreme prejudice, and they’re going to do it for sound reasons.
It's like trying to learn the incidence of sexual activity by going into a 9th grade boys gym class and asking all virgins to raise their hands.

Back
Top Bottom