Half of guns owned by 3%

I'm truthfully not surprised by that statement. The only people buying most of the guns are continuing gun owners. Yes, of course we get new guys and gals along the way but the fact is many of us have a passion for them.

I'm sure many here own well beyond the average number of guns per household.

I'm always curious on how they come up with all these firearm ownership statistics.

Especially considering its not like ownership records are public records. Plus face to face in most states has no paperwork anywhere so you wouldn't be able to track the movement anyway. (Not that it should be possible to track these things)

Trying to paint us as a tiny minority whose 2nd amendment rights must be restricted because its only a small fraction of the total population. Next they will make the quantum leap that if 3% own half of the guns then they must commit X% (they make this number up) of the gun crimes....therefore laws must be tighened around this group of people.....
1 handgun, 1 rifle, 1 shotgun per person. Calibers are restriced as well. Upon death, no transfers to heirs, the state will come to collect..... stuff like that.

I'm sure they are factoring in the 20% of the population that isn't old enough to legally own a gun.

So what? Half of all money may be held by 3% of the population (or something like that), but it's still a commodity everyone uses.

Permits keep hitting record numbers issued each year and 20% of the states are now constitutional carry. But the pressitute palace guard insists fewer people own guns. No wonder by the same logic the same idiots think the economy is great and we are increasingly safe from terrorism.

if there are 100M guns owned by US citizens and a 300M population (using rough numbers here), then 3% of the population is 9M people. So 100M guns held by 9M people, or 11 guns per owner. So 31 is right if using the numbers above.

Permits keep hitting record numbers issued each year and 20% of the states are now constitutional carry. But the pressitute palace guard insists fewer people own guns. No wonder by the same logic the same idiots think the economy is great and we are increasingly safe from terrorism.

Yup. I'm not sure I'd say they definitely have no idea how many people own guns, but I'm pretty sure they have no idea how many people own guns. When you figure the people who live in states with no registration,the places where personal sales do not require a transfer, the people who have inherited them, the people who owned them prior to registration being implemented in their state, people that get them as gifts ect., not to mention people that illegally possess firearms. I'm pretty sure they're just guessing at best but more likely lying at worst.People like owning guns. Who doesn't want to feel safe? I know people that you would not expect to own guns, the most liberal of left wingers you could imagine that own guns. I think 3% of the population is a big time lowball.

This liberal state had over a million lifetime permits active prior 1998. Considering the gun culture in other states there's no way ownership is as low as liberals insist even when accounting for low population rural states.

I call BS on 3%.

The best way of etermining the number of gun owners is by knowing what percentage of homes have a gun in them. There are an estimated 114,000,000 homes in the US. Of that number, an estimated number of homes with a gun ranges from 31% to 52%. Using the lowest percentage, 31%, then an estimated 35,340,000 homes have a gun in them. If using 3%, that means only 3,420,000 have a gun? I think not.

http://time.com/4499088/guns-us-super-owners-report/

130 million guns are owned by 3% of American adults, who each own 17 guns on average.

About 55 million Americans own guns,
with most owning an average of three each
and nearly half owning just one or two

And the best quote of the article:

"Among this group, an estimated 7.7 million Americans make up the country’s “gun super-owners,” who own between eight and 140 guns."

It's an intentionally deceptive statistic. Their goal is to make the gun-owning public sound like a tiny minority. But even if true, a large percentage of the population owns at least one firearm.

Back
Top Bottom