• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Half of guns owned by 3%

I'm not surprised by this number one bit...

384f6883af615ef8d1ab4d3f4cbd16d0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

3% is crap. It has never been that low of a percentage in any part of the country.

I once heard an anti state rep in RI say that 12% of people own guns in Rhode Island. So out of a population of roughly 1,055,000, that would be 126,600 gun owners. That seems high to me honestly considering gun clubs in RI x members of clubs, but 12% of people in RI is a pretty solid mass of gun owners for one of the most left wing states in the country.

Keep in mind, I also once read that Rhode Island has 3,200 or so "registered gun owners." There's one slight problem with that statement - RI specifically bans registries of guns, so the only possible way they could've gotten that number is by counting the RI AG permit holders as the only gun owners, and the RI AG permits are may-issue.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-41.HTM

Edit:

There are roughly 27 active gun clubs in RI. I took this list and eliminated clubs that I knew were hunting clubs, i.e. no shooting on the premises. 27 x 450 members per club (a very generous guess) = 12,150 gun owners. I don't think there's a way to calculate for the gun owners who don't belong to a club and don't have a carry permit (you can count town issued carry permits, but you'd have to ask every town).

http://www.rihunts.com/clubs/

Last edited:
That only works out to about 16 firearms per person for 9420 people, seems fairly reasonable.

I don't know anyone that owns 17 Firearms.
I know a few that have 1 to 5 and the rest
of the Firearms owners I know have 25 + . . .

Here's the original article in The Guardian

I call Bullshit, on myself;

Here's the original article in The Trace

and I got to thinking, I think my oldest daughter
owns exactly 17 guns, for now, her Birthday's coming up.

Last edited:

I call Bullshit, on myself;

Here's the original article in The Trace

and I got to thinking, I think my oldest daughter
owns exactly 17 guns, for now, her Birthday's coming up.

Im working on gun number 12 right now. Should be at the 16 average by next year this time.

I worked it out to be about 31.5 guns per owner assuming 319 million people and 300 million guns.
Whew!!! 31.5 guns per person. I was beginning to think I had a problem Nice to know I'm just your average guy. Guess it's ok to go out and get that Pistol Caliber Carbine I've been thinking about.

5-6 Glocks, 3-4 1911's, 2011 IPSC gun, Couple of Sigs, Snubbie revolver, .357 revolver, Classic S&W or Colt Revolver, .22 target pistol, .22 plinking gun, couple of bolt action 22LR long guns, 10-22, 3 AR's , .308 target gun, AK-47, AK74, M! Garand, M1A1, (Insert Milsurp rifle here), 12GA home defense shotgun, 12GA 3 gun shotgun, Skeet/Trap gun. .... 31 comes real fast!!!!

(Forgot about Dad's 30-30 deer gun that I inherited... but that doesn't really exist now does it)

Last edited:
I call BS on 3%. The best way of etermining the number of gun owners is by knowing what percentage of homes have a gun in them... Using the lowest percentage, 31%, then an estimated 35,340,000 homes have a gun in them. If using 3%, that means only 3,420,000 have a gun? I think not.

No, no, you misunderstand. Along with owning half the guns we also own 10 houses each! [rolleyes]

Us evil folk that work hard and pay way too much in taxes for the takers. I would hope that we would own way more than half of the guns!!! And I have to guess that WE are much stronger than 3%. Maybe 3% in areas in which such things must be recorded....

I call BS on 3%.

The best way of etermining the number of gun owners is by knowing what percentage of homes have a gun in them. There are an estimated 114,000,000 homes in the US. Of that number, an estimated number of homes with a gun ranges from 31% to 52%. Using the lowest percentage, 31%, then an estimated 35,340,000 homes have a gun in them. If using 3%, that means only 3,420,000 have a gun? I think not.

The metric is "3% own 50% of the guns." That means your 3.4M household estimate would have half of the 132.5M guns. That's 39 guns per household for this demographic they are reporting on, it's not just "a gun."

Heh.

"The three percent."

(T-shirt group buy??)

IN

Well, last year were we not called Ammosexuals by someone trying to offend us? Now if we own b/t 8 - 140 guns we are members of the 3% class and SUPER GUN OWNERS! I'm really excited. Here I thought I was stuck in the 99% with the rest of my fellow schlubs, with no hope of ever making it into the 1% with granny, the clintons, bloomturd etc.(sarcasm). But 3% NICE!!!!!

BTW apparently I've been a 3 per-center for the past 25 years. Who would've thunk it?

There was never more than 3% of the colonists fighting against King George. And mow it looks like that 3% has half of all the guns.

Yankee Marshall and Hickok45 raising the avg count.

About 55 million Americans own guns,
with most owning an average of three each
and nearly half owning just one or two

Those owning one or two are probably in free states. Just taking for granted their ability to buy anything any time. Can't imagine anyone in states where you have to work to get a license stopping at two guns.

Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every American adult, according to the most definitive portrait of US gun ownership in two decades. But the new survey estimates that 133m of these guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each.

It seems the estimated number of guns in the US is all over the map.
This article says 265m, while most other sources say it's 300m.
However, I've been hearing that 300m number for the last 10 years, and I've also heard that record numbers of guns have been sold every year since the beginning of King Barrys reign, so even that 300m number is likely on the low side.

What are people that own 141 or more guns called?

Here on NES they're known as "Three Time World Champions" [wink]

http://time.com/4499088/guns-us-super-owners-report/

130 million guns are owned by 3% of American adults, who each own 17 guns on average.

About 55 million Americans own guns,
with most owning an average of three each
and nearly half owning just one or two

And the best quote of the article:

"Among this group, an estimated 7.7 million Americans make up the country’s “gun super-owners,” who own between eight and 140 guns."

I'm quite a few behind then. Time to pick up a shotty... or a dozen.

Last edited:
It seems the estimated number of guns in the US is all over the map.
This article says 265m, while most other sources say it's 300m.
However, I've been hearing that 300m number for the last 10 years, and I've also heard that record numbers of guns have been sold every year since the beginning of King Barrys reign, so even that 300m number is likely on the low side.

Here on NES they're known as "Three Time World Champions" [wink]

I've seen the 300m number for a long time as well, and there has been something like 12-18m NICS checks/year since Barry go into office. That's another 96m-144m NICS checks, if even 50% of them were new guns instead of used that number should easily be up in the 350m range by now. We all know nobody gets rid of a gun once they've bought it.

5-6 Glocks, 3-4 1911's, 2011 IPSC gun, Couple of Sigs, Snubbie revolver, .357 revolver, Classic S&W or Colt Revolver, .22 target pistol, .22 plinking gun, couple of bolt action 22LR long guns, 10-22, 3 AR's , .308 target gun, AK-47, AK74, M! Garand, M1A1, (Insert Milsurp rifle here), 12GA home defense shotgun, 12GA 3 gun shotgun, Skeet/Trap gun. .... 31 comes real fast!!!!

(Forgot about Dad's 30-30 deer gun that I inherited... but that doesn't really exist now does it)

They do add up, don't they?

I have the same situation. Start with (5) pin guns, (2) dedicated carry guns, .22 bolt rifle, a 10/22, a .308, an ar-15 or two, (maybe three), toss in a couple 1911's. Stir in the wife's guns, then add in that I live in two different states now and suddenly -- wow - I'm a "super-owner".

I think there is a large number of people in this country that own 1 or 2 guns which they bought a long time ago and havnt shot in decades. I might know more gun owners that fit into this mold than the nes mold.

I will label myself Super Deplorable.
Although I am damn proud to be called a "Gun Super-Owner" (and a "Super Deplorable" too), the fact is that "study" was funded and done by anti-gunners with a strict agenda. First and foremost, it needed to say that the percentage of people who own guns in the United States is shrinking. That was the whole point. So how do they explain gun sales going through the roof and setting new records just about each and every month during the entire Obama administration? Simple. "Gun Super-Owners"! [laugh]

We used to be called "Gun Collectors" or simply "Gun Enthusiasts" if we owned something more than half a dozen guns. Now we are the "Super-Owners" (an apparent danger to society just like the new Hillary term for young Black criminals... "Super-Predators"). [thinking]

I know at least 5 people who have guns but don't have licenses. They are not crime guns they are guns that were inhereted or vet bring backs. One is a real nice M1 (not M2) from Korea owned by a friend.

I am sure they would be shocked if suddenly they were to offer 1 million per gun for a turn it, how many unknown and unregisteded guns would show up.

Look what they do with "gun deaths" by including suicides. I would not put it past them to include all .gov guns (police, .mil, alphabet agencies) as being owned by 1 person: the government. That probably skews the stats towards fewer people.

Of course, they are shooting themselves in the foot with programs like fast and furious - those guns are gone and out of the statistics for good.

Back
Top Bottom