• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Half of guns owned by 3%

I'm trying to reconcile the 55mil #. I don't think it's that low. Because it's INDIVIDUALS counted.

So I have a LTC. Wife has LTC. I purchase 2 guns. (C'mon. Stop laughing. It could happen!) Our HOUSEHOLD owns guns (of which there are far less than 260M in the US) but only I count as a gun owner b/c I purchased the 2 (giggle) guns.

I'd like to see household #'s. That's a lot more telling than 55mil "owners." (It's actually 62 mil, but I digress.)

Permits keep hitting record numbers issued each year and 20% of the states are now constitutional carry. But the pressitute palace guard insists fewer people own guns. No wonder by the same logic the same idiots think the economy is great and we are increasingly safe from terrorism.

the stupid is strong in Amerika these days

I think there is a large number of people in this country that own 1 or 2 guns which they bought a long time ago and havnt shot in decades. I might know more gun owners that fit into this mold than the nes mold.

Growing up in Tennessee, the question wasn't "do you own a gun?" It was "how many guns do you own?" Most folks kept a deer rifle in the house, usually a shotgun for bird hunting and a pistol for the bedside drawer. Not owning a gun was a lot weirder than owning a gun.

I was gonna call BS on all of that - but I own 13 and most of my gun owning friends have more than that. I still strongly question where those numbers are coming from as most states don't maintain a registry of guns or owners.

From WCVB website......half of guns in US are owned by 3% of population.....just sayin'
And the other half are owned by the Department of Homeland Security, the Department Agriculture, Department of Health and Human Services,
Department of Education, Department of Energy, Department of Commerce, Department of the Interior, Department of the Exterior, etc etc etc....

Just sayin'

Not sure myself. If I assume that each household has 3 people in it, there would be 106.7M US households. 44% of US Households own guns, that is about 47M households. That is an average of 6.6 guns per household. If the 3% stat is true, that means that those 3% of US Households would have an average of 106.5 guns per household and that the other 97% would have to have an average of 3.29 guns per household. While I don't doubt that most households only have a few guns in them, I find it hard to believe that these 3% AVERAGE over 100 guns per household?

Pew Poll: 44 Percent of All Households Now Have a Gun

http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...-44-percent-of-all-households-now-have-a-gun/

Last edited:
It seems the estimated number of guns in the US is all over the map.
This article says 265m, while most other sources say it's 300m.
However, I've been hearing that 300m number for the last 10 years, and I've also heard that record numbers of guns have been sold every year since the beginning of King Barrys reign, so even that 300m number is likely on the low side.

Here on NES they're known as "Three Time World Champions" [wink]

In that case, it looks like I have some work to do to catch up to my reputation! [rofl]

Somehow (great surprise) the math doesn't seem to work here (only reading what was posted, not underlying article).

Let's see:

- There are more than 300 million guns in the US,
- They claim that only 55 million owners,
- They claim that 1/2 of them (27.5 million) only own 1 or 2,
- They claim that most only average is 3 guns/owner.

Even 3x55 million doesn't come close to 300 million!!

Bogus, biased "study" and reporting.

Not sure myself. If I assume that each household has 3 people in it, there would be 106.7M US households. 44% of US Households own guns, that is about 47M households. That is an average of 6.6 guns per household. If the 3% stat is true, that means that those 3% of US Households would have an average of 106.5 guns per household and that the other 97% would have to have an average of 3.29 guns per household. While I don't doubt that most households only have a few guns in them, I find it hard to believe that these 3% AVERAGE over 100 guns per household?

http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...-44-percent-of-all-households-now-have-a-gun/

Well it must just be thrown off by that one guy who filled his basement with crates of mosins.

mosin-nagant-crate.jpg

In that case, it looks like I have some work to do to catch up to my reputation! [rofl]

Somehow (great surprise) the math doesn't seem to work here (only reading what was posted, not underlying article).

Let's see:

Seems like these stats came from the same place the antis get the rest of their stats from.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it must just be thrown off by that one guy who filled his basement with crates of mosins.

mosin-nagant-crate.jpg

Nice. I want one, too!

Let's see:

The actual numbers generated by the study, right or wrong, are sure to be mangled and tortured by reporters. You'd need to see the cumulative distribution graph in the study when it's released to know for sure what authors really meant.

3% has to be low. Let's look at MA.

MA has a population of about 6.3 million and of that number about 4.7 million are 21 or older. I have been told that there are just over 400k gun owners (permits) in MA. So in our "progressive" state that is about 8.5% of the adult population are gun owners. If MA is at 8.5% and I assume most have more than 3 guns, the national average of half the guns owned by 3% is complete BS IMHO. Also since most states don't have registration like MA, there is no way of knowing how many firearms are owned by individuals.

Last edited:
So if my guns and Lady Radtekk's guns live in the same safe(s) and we collectively have 30ish total, sounds like we need to get to work. She's gonna be so pissed that we're behind...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

http://time.com/4499088/guns-us-super-owners-report/

130 million guns are owned by 3% of American adults, who each own 17 guns on average.

About 55 million Americans own guns,
with most owning an average of three each
and nearly half owning just one or two

And the best quote of the article:

"Among this group, an estimated 7.7 million Americans make up the country’s “gun super-owners,” who own between eight and 140 guns."

Well I guess that makes me one of those "super owners" then.[rofl]

The actual numbers generated by the study, right or wrong, are sure to be mangled and tortured by reporters. You'd need to see the cumulative distribution graph in the study when it's released to know for sure what authors really meant.

"reporters" and "journalists" these days write b/c they ****in failed math! This proves that out.

where's that stat from?

From math. lol ~318 mil people in us. 3%= ~9 mil. Approx. 300 mil guns in the US. So 300 mil guns divided by 9 mil people = 33.33333 guns per person. Which actually sounds kinda reasonable. [laugh]

ETA; Considering how many guns we sell per day at Academy Sports, apparently all 3% live here in SC. [laugh] Seriously, we sell a lot of ****ing guns!

Last edited:
I don't own guns anymore.
I read that I'm only going to hurt myself with them or the bad guy will just take it away and use it on me.
I traded them all in at a buyback for a basket of unicorn farts.
I'm told that if you throw them at a home invader it turns them into lollipops.
I'll let you know how it works out if it comes to that.

Back
Top Bottom