• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Had my FID card revoked about 5 years ago, can I get it reinstated?

You have a conviction of a crime involving a firearm (improper storage is a crime involving a firearm) and you think Boston is going to give you your license back? That's rich. 😂

Get a lawyer and work on getting the case reopened due to ineffective counsel and get it overturned. Once that's done you have a chance. But with a conviction of an actual gun crime in mass on your record don't even bother applying for a license.
A conviction for any offense that involves firearms or ammunition and has a possible jail or prison sentence is a lifetime statutory disqualifier in MA, so you do not even get to the bit about "what Boston would do". Chances are the FRB would reject the application even if Boston approved it.

Neil's handle includes his middle initial, his last named is "Tassel", not "Stassel".
I'm sure the esteemed counselor has had his fill of dumb jokes.

But purely as a public service I offer NES this mnemonic device
so that strip mall lawyer Neil Stassel stops getting all the good gun cases.

You have a conviction of a crime involving a firearm (improper storage is a crime involving a firearm) and you think Boston is going to give you your license back? That's rich. 😂

Get a lawyer and work on getting the case reopened due to ineffective counsel and get it overturned. Once that's done you have a chance. But with a conviction of an actual gun crime in mass on your record don't even bother applying for a license.
It got dismissed with admit to sufficient facts.

I have no advice. I just want to say I really appreciate that your username is nascarfan and you were charged for failure to stop in a police chase. Move to NH, we have constitutional carry, no storage laws, and a NASCAR race.

It got dismissed with admit to sufficient facts.
I assume that means CWOF and the continuance period has expired.

#1: Due to changes in MGL the PD can no longer deny you an FID card unless they go to court asking for a judicial determination (bench, not jury) that said revocation is justified. The PDs often do not do this but, if they do, your odds are only slightly better than pulling a royal flush from a well shuffled deck.

#2: There is no statutory prohibition for issuing you an LTC, just that pesky "suitability" thing.

#3: ASF is not a legal impediment. The myth that it does occasionally pops up based on a posting by a PD that had incompetent legal advice and claimed this to be fact.

Short form if you want an FID or LTC:

- If you would rather not get an FID or LTC than pay legal fees, go pro-se
- If you would rather pay legal fees than be denied an FID or LTC consult with one of the big name attorneys (Janger, Tassel, Guida, etc.)

It's like a speeding ticket. The reason you generally appeal those without counsel is the cost of losing is less than the cost of qualified expert assistance. Only you can determine if you are willing to accept an increased risk of losing to save on the legal fees. Nullum Gratuitum Prandium".

Last edited:
I assume that means CWOF and the continuance period has expired.

#1: Due to changes in MGL the PD can no longer deny you an FID card unless they go to court asking for a judicial determination (bench, not jury) that said revocation is justified. The PDs often do not do this but, if they do, your odds are only slightly better than pulling a royal flush from a well shuffled deck.

#2: There is no statutory prohibition for issuing you an LTC, just that pesky "suitability" thing.

#3: ASF is not a legal impediment. The myth that it does occasionally pops up based on a posting by a PD that had incompetent legal advice and claimed this to be fact.

Short form if you want an FID or LTC:

- If you would rather not get an FID or LTC than pay legal fees, go pro-se
- If you would rather pay legal fees than be denied an FID or LTC continue with one of the big name attorneys (Janger, Tassel, Guida, etc.)

It's like a speeding ticket. The reason you generally appeal those without counsel is the cost of losing is less than the cost of qualified expert assistance. Only you can determine if you are willing to accept an increased risk of losing to save on the legal fees. Nullum Gratuitum Prandium".
I like this answer, I will be giving a call, it was tempting to just reapply.

Good luck.
Been there done that (the CWOF/dismissed thing), paid the lawyer and lost. Moved to NH
Could have saved the money and gotten that sweet trench gun I want.

Good luck.
Been there done that (the CWOF/dismissed thing), paid the lawyer and lost. Moved to NH
Could have saved the money and gotten that sweet trench gun I want.
Was this an appeal of a judicially approved FID denial or LTC denial?

I suggest you get legal advice on that.

Might be strategically wiser to get the one with less onerous legal obstacles to overcome.
Stephen Foley was my attorney, and I'm surprised you don't remember given that you and I talked about it, and comm2a positions was that I wasn't "squeaky clean" enough for them to get involved. And since it was a single event in my entire life, and 19 years in the past, I found it hard to envision someone more "squeaky clean" that would still be denied as unsuitable.

And after years I gave up and moved so there is nothing more to do on that. I do want to get a non-res, which is MAY issue but no suitability, That got put off while I deal with my 5CKD. When that's stabilized I'll pick it back up. I expect it will go pretty high in the courts, it will come down to a challenge to "May" issue. I'll be looking for a lawyer who's in for the long haul.

BTW I still financially support Comm2a and encourage others too,. Even with my questions about how and why they get involved, I'll keep doing that until something better comes along, maybe with a leadership that is willing to take action that will impact the community and not just one person and one incident. So far their wins have helped individuals but have had little impact on the overall community.

And another BTW. The LO who denied me as unsuitable, who lived in the town (important because it means he approved his own LTC), lied his entire career as he was ineligible for an LTC because of a juvenile conviction of a felony level crime. So he aproved himself but denied me, seems a bit arbitrary to me. Yes, eventually they revoked hi LTC, but then (I'm told) gave it right back (FRB restored) because protecting a cop who repeatedly committed a criminal act throughout his career is just the kind of person you want to enforce the law.

Stephen Foley was my attorney, and I'm surprised you don't remember given that you and I talked about it, and comm2a positions was that I wasn't "squeaky clean" enough for them to get involved. And since it was a single event in my entire life, and 19 years in the past, I found it hard to envision someone more "squeaky clean" that would still be denied as unsuitable.
Just didn't attach the story the the case.

If 5CKD is Stage 5 Chronic Renal Disease, I have a bit more than average experience in that area (BTDT) - feel free to contact me directly, especially if you are unfamiliar with EPTS, KDPI and UNOS 1 vs 2 wait times.

So far their wins have helped individuals but have had little impact on the overall community.
Non-citizen permanent resident aliens and persons with pre-decriminalization MJ convictions would disagree, as would those in towns where Comm2a has had "soft victories" (change in licensing policy restrictions)

Last edited:
Just didn't attach the story the the case.

If 5CKD is Stage 5 Chronic Renal Disease, I have a bit more than average experience in that area (BTDT) - feel free to contact me directly, especially if you are unfamiliar with EPTS, KDPI and UNOS 1 vs 2 wait times.

Non-citizen permanent resident aliens and persons with pre-decriminalization MJ convictions would disagree, as would those in towns where Comm2a has had "soft victories" (change in licensing policy restrictions)
I'll give you the MJ related issue, I guess I'm a bad person because I don't see the resident alien issue as a priority over all the other problems. And IIRC the soft victories affect only the one town and are not binding to any other town/city that applies restrictions not included in the law or extra requirements, and even where there were these "wins" there has been a need to go back as they continued the issue for others (so I wonder how legally binding these wins were).

What I would call wins;
A stop state wide to extra requirements by the local PD (letters, training, anything).
A stop state wide to suitability denials.
Some teeth in the deadline, like we have in NH.
An elimination of restricted licenses state wide, an LTC is an LTC.

These aren't even big things. I'd even say a Bill with these "clarifications" would be ok if it added live fire to current training requirement (live fire like they have for Florida), to make it a "compromise"

These aren't even big things. I'd even say a Bill with these "clarifications" would be ok if it added live fire to current training requirement (live fire like they have for Florida), to make it a "compromise"
You have completely confused the restoration of civil rights via precedent-setting lawsuits
with legislative changes via lobbying.

Comm2A balances win/loss chances as part of the equation. It is not about what "what we would like to change" but "what we have a chance to change".

Non-citizen was a slam dunk with loads of instructive but non binding precedent from other districts. We called that correctly and won. We were also a new org, and the SAF agreed to fund that case.

The MJ case was risk, but a solid win.

We tried to deal with bonded warehouse abuses, and the Glock ban but didn't have as much luck with those.

Comm2a specializes in court work; GOAL handles legislative. The division is helpful since we don't have one group simultaneously negotiating and litigating with the same or closely allied parties.

Looking at your suggestions:

Stop state wide to extra requirements by the local PD (letters, training, anything).
  • On what basis would you bring a case? What legal claim? State or federal? Do you think there is a chance the court would rule in our favor? Remember, the First Circuit federal court is definitely anti-gun rights. We need cases where the logic is so solid that there is no intellectually honest way for a court to rule against us (and sometimes even that is not enough)
A stop state wide to suitability denials.
  • Once again, what claim? What chances of getting it to a win in a MA court?
Some teeth in the deadline, like we have in NH.
  • This would be legislative, not judicial, as the courts cannot add a penalty to the law. When considering the legislative route, remember the MA Katrina Bill was at a point in the legislative process that is usually a fait accompli but was spiked because it contained penalties for police that violated it.
An elimination of restricted licenses state wide, an LTC is an LTC.
  • The MA courts are already ignoring the change to standard in the statute - that is now based on "dangerousness". How would you formulate a claim in MA or federal court that stands a reasonable chance of winning? Restrictions are very hard to appeal in Federal court since Heller is silent on carry outside the home. We had one case bounced because the court accepted the assistant AG's lie that "the petitioner is asking for more than the minimum to exercise Heller rights since he can buy a handgun with a MA permit to purchase and keep it in his home if he has an FID". The case was specifically rejected because the federal court does not recognize "carry" (in the plain English sense of the word) as a right acknowledged under Heller and McDonald.

There may be room for federal action on suitability and restrictions if there is a favorable ruling in NY State Rifle & Pistol assn v. Bruen.

One of the problems in this area is that bringing a case and losing it moves the line a bit - by establishing a precedent that can be used against us. So Comm2a is VERY careful to take on cases where we are not facing a sure loss. It is not what one "wants to see" (if we chose based on "wants" those items on your list would be at the top of my list) but "can we move the needle a bit".

As to "squeaky clean plaintiffs" - we use that approach because our goal is to effect public policy changes, not maximize the chances for one individual. Those goals can be at direct odds with each other if there is a risk of adverse precedent. Although district court cases are not binding precedent, they are instructive, and every time a licensing case is lost it reinforces the viewpoint that such cases are just a waste of the court's time.

That would in in GOAL's lane. But, remember, a bill submitted "On behalf of" a constituent or group, regardless of merit, is always referred to study (and no, that does not mean someone will study your bill - it's legislator speak for killed). If you want a bill to have any chance of passing, you need to find a legislator to sponsor it, which can be difficult..

Last edited:
So far their wins have helped individuals but have had little impact on the overall community.

Lol so the fact that LTC AIDS cases and douche towns have fallen by like an easy 60% since Comm2A showed up, thats not an impact? lol Back years ago
there were lots of problem towns discussed on this board that basically aren't much of an issue anymore. A lot of that is because of a trickle down effect from Comm2a or even them just giving advice to people. Eventually some of the shit towns started backing off their garbage because they started to feel pressure. Comm2a has won a lot "out of court" as well.

I don't see the resident alien issue as a priority over all the other problems.

Priority in the business world is not "what feature do would you like to see" but "which offers the best ROI".

In the case of Comm2a it is something like:

P = (expected_benefit_if_win * probability_of_win) - (expected_cost_of_loss * probability of loss)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cost_to_pursue_case

Those who don't consider all factors do things like bring an action in MA court to have the entire MA AWB thrown out. Feels good, but doomed to failure and not an intelligent strategy.

Since it happened j haven't updated my drivers license to my new town, would I need to or is putting a strip of tape with the new address sufficient enough before I seek out legal help.

Since it happened j haven't updated my drivers license to my new town, would I need to or is putting a strip of tape with the new address sufficient enough before I seek out legal help.
Seek legal help before you do anything, but you have to notify the RMV as well and change your vehicle registration if necessary.

You have completely confused the restoration of civil rights via precedent-setting lawsuits
with legislative changes via lobbying.
well aware
as stated, yes more of a GOAL thing. if I had access to enough cases I could reword it to fit that world, but I don't and figure most here could deal with it

That would in in GOAL's lane. But, remember, a bill submitted "On behalf of" a constituent or group, regardless of merit, is always referred to study (and no, that does not mean someone will study your bill - it's legislator speak for killed). If you want a bill to have any chance of passing, you need to find a legislator to sponsor it, which can be difficult..
At one point I was working my Walsh, he had come a long way to agreeing on the problems with suitability. He help me write up the Bill and was going to submit on behalf of. But knowing this is a kiss of death I told him I was looking for him to sponsor. Got real close but then he got sick and died of cancer.... still think he would have come around if I had a little more time.

I tried bring it up with Spilka but after about 1/2 of what was supposed to be an hour meeting, I realized she was useless and cut it short.

So I may not be on the inside like you but I do have some awareness of what happens.

At one point I was working my Walsh, he had come a long way to agreeing on the problems with suitability. He help me write up the Bill and was going to submit on behalf of. But knowing this is a kiss of death I told him I was looking for him to sponsor. Got real close but then he got sick and died of cancer.... still think he would have come around if I had a little more time.

I tried bring it up with Spilka but after about 1/2 of what was supposed to be an hour meeting, I realized she was useless and cut it short.

So I may not be on the inside like you but I do have some awareness of what happens.
That's the problem inside the urban cup the dems like spilka etc are insufferably retarded. They're so brainwashed they can't even possibly consider anything other than whatever is written in that binder/manual she probably got from Bloombergs people.

At least you knew how the game is played and took and an informed approach.

At least you knew how the game is played and took and an informed approach.
The problem with experience is the time it takes to get there. My working on Walsh was more than a decade after after my suitability issue, if I had known back in 1999 what I know know it would never have happened. I got piss poor legal advice from my lawyer back then. The classic it won't matter later and it's the cheapest and surest way out. He seemed a nice enough guy, a shooter, and well recommended, Michael D. Brennan (not the Circuit Court Judge by the same name) and apparently a District Court Judge now. A bit scary since he doesn't know shit about the affect the law has in the real world.

The problem with experience is the time it takes to get there. My working on Walsh was more than a decade after after my suitability issue, if I had known back in 1999 what I know know it would never have happened. I got piss poor legal advice from my lawyer back then. The classic it won't matter later and it's the cheapest and surest way out. He seemed a nice enough guy, a shooter, and well recommended, Michael D. Brennan (not the Circuit Court Judge by the same name) and apparently a District Court Judge now. A bit scary since he doesn't know shit about the affect the law has in the real world.
Was that the same Brennan who clerked for Jesse Cohen back in the early days of NES?

I'll have to check to see if I still have it. I did a "plea bargain worksheet" for Comm2A (and had it attorney reviewed) that outlined the consequences for each type of "deal" (juvenile offense issues, CWOF, misdafelony, etc.) for persons with a legal problem to study, and what to ask one's attorney to make sure they actually understood things about gifts that keep on giving even though the case supposedly "goes away".

It's amazing how many attorneys don't know, for example, to advise a 14 year old copping a delinquency plea that he will never be able to own a gun in MA even after it is supposedly "off his record", or that a first time OUI conviction is a lifetime federal disqualifier and that the feds will not recognize a MA restoration of right from the FLRB. They are probably criminal defense attorneys who don't even know what FLRB stands for.

Back
Top Bottom