• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Had my FID card revoked about 5 years ago, can I get it reinstated?

Hello, I had an FID card many years ago issued in Boston. However there was a call for a domestic and during the event which was an argument, I drove off.. Police thought that I had the gun with me, they searched the house and found it unlocked and charged me with improper storage of a firearm, however I was charged with many more things as I didn't immediately pull over I was charged with failure to stop and assault and battery, the second which I didn't do. Everything was dismissed on my background check, the only ones that still have a guilty plea or show up are the Improper storage of a firearm and failure to stop. Is there any chance to Reapply or to reinstate my FID or LTC after all of these years or is this something not worth pursuing?

alonzo-mourning-gary-payton.gif

I figured as much, he hasn't returned my calls so just figured I'd ask if it was even a bad idea to just Reapply on my own.

Get a different lawyer. Specifically one who specializes in Massachusetts gun laws.

Neil Stassel (@nstassel) is on this forum, don't know if he's in your area.
There's at least one other atty here who meets that criteria, but I can't think of his handle.

It probably will, a lot of that smells like legal herpes/AIDS but you need to talk to an attorney to figure out your options
I was only found of one misdemeanor guilty back then but I'm sure that'd all it takes, I'm looking around to consult with a lawyer, worst case I can always rent or go with friends to the range, however I'd still like my license back, they are even more of a pain to get in Boston.

It probably will, a lot of that smells like legal herpes/AIDS but you need to talk to an attorney to figure out your options
This
If you have anything looking like a domestic on your record then your a a Fed PP and nothing short of someone like @nstassel getting it reopened and cleared is going to help you.

Failure to stop and improper storage related to a domestic is going to be a problem for even green towns - and yes it will be "related to a domestic" because they will likely ask for details

Boston? Good Luck. Not gonna pass judgement, shit happens, but it sounds like you're basically f***ed unless you happen to move to an extremely green town and you we're lucky enough to not get tagged with any misdafelonies. You need to consult with an attorney that deals specifically with firearms related stuff. Ultimately it is up to the police chief to determine suitability for an LTC and you would probably fall onto the short list with that history. You might have a shot at getting an FID card but if any of your convictions are for domestic violence, felonies, or MA misdafelonies you are most likely already federally prohibited from owning a firearm.

This
If you have anything looking like a domestic on your record then your a a Fed PP and nothing short of someone like @nstassel getting it reopened and cleared is going to help you.

Failure to stop and improper storage related to a domestic is going to be a problem for even green towns - and yes it will be "related to a domestic" because they will likely ask for details
Although everything was dismissed I'm sure they can still see, on the application form I've never been convicted of those questions. I will seek out this lawyers assistance that everyone seems to talk about.

Although everything was dismissed I'm sure they can still see, on the application form I've never been convicted of those questions. I will seek out this lawyers assistance that everyone seems to talk about.
They will pull your records which will show everything - the form doesn't only ask if you were convicted, it asks if you appeared in court so you need to list everything that got you dragged before the judge no matter how inconsequential or stupid.

4. Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense?  YES  NO

The fact that you were not immediately aware of this says that you really need to get in front of a good 2A counsel WITH every piece of paperwork from those events that you can get from every court involved. And that needs to happen before you even think about submitting paperwork or even asking the licensing officer a question.

I was only found of one misdemeanor guilty back then but I'm sure that'd all it takes, I'm looking around to consult with a lawyer, worst case I can always rent or go with friends to the range, however I'd still like my license back, they are even more of a pain to get in Boston.
A 140/131L storage conviction is a misdemeanor involving guns or ammunition that has possible imprisonment sentence. As such it is an absolute disqualifier in MA and the police cannot issue you and LTC or FID even if they want to.

In retrospect, your attorney probably should have pushed harder for a CWOF on the storage charge - though perhaps the system was angry enough that was not possible.

There are only two avenues to getting un-PP'ed in MA: Governor's pardon with explicit restoration of firearms right (file that under "yeah, right") or having some fancy lawyering done to get the case re-opened and dismissed so you no longer have the burden of a conviction making you a PP.

You need an attorney for this, and it is going to take more than an inexpensive office consult to get it done (if it can be done at all).

At least the max is a 1.5 year sentence, so it does not fall into misdafelony territory.

I'd suggest you spring for a consult; learn what your chances of success are; and make a fully informed decision.

Last edited:
A 140/131L storage conviction is a misdemeanor involving guns or ammunition that has possible imprisonment sentence. As such it is an absolute disqualifier in MA and the police cannot issue you and LTC or FID even if they want to.

In retrospect, your attorney probably should have pushed harder for a CWOF on the storage charge - though perhaps the system was angry enough that was not possible.

There are only to avenues to getting un-PP'ed in MA: Governor's pardon with explicit restoration of firearms right (file that under "yeah, right") or having some fancy lawyering done to get the case re-opened and dismissed so you no longer have the burden of a conviction making you a PP.

You need an attorney for this, and it is going to take more than an inexpensive office consult to get it done (if it can be done at all).

At least the max is a 1.5 year sentence, so it does not fall into misdafelony territory.

I'd suggest you spring for a consult; learn what your chances of success are; and make a fully informed decision.
Or move to NH

The fact that you were not immediately aware of this says that you really need to get in front of a good 2A counsel WITH every piece of paperwork from those events that you can get from every court involved. And that needs to happen before you even think about submitting paperwork or even asking the licensing officer a question.
There is an outside chance, at best, that an "ineffective assistance of counsel" claim could work if you were not advised that copping a plea would deprive you of a constitutional right for life (assuming you pled guilty). But, the courts allow for "ordinary, imperfect counsel..." so this is a longshot.

You have a conviction of a crime involving a firearm (improper storage is a crime involving a firearm) and you think Boston is going to give you your license back? That's rich. 😂

Get a lawyer and work on getting the case reopened due to ineffective counsel and get it overturned. Once that's done you have a chance. But with a conviction of an actual gun crime in mass on your record don't even bother applying for a license.

I've found NH to be a very nice place.

So many layers of problems, first is the firearms related conviction, So you'd need to get that cleaned up, not simple or guaranteed.
But wait, that doesn't make it all go away, even a dismissal on a gun charge and a domestic will get you a suitability denial in almost any town/city. Talk to a lawyer like @nstassel, your average general lawyer hasn't a clue. But take it from someone that's been down the MA suitability road, moving is easier.

And go green. [smile]

Get a different lawyer. Specifically one who specializes in Massachusetts gun laws.

Neil Stassel (@nstassel) is on this forum, don't know if he's in your area.
There's at least one other atty here who meets that criteria, but I can't think of his handle.

The problem with forum handles, (and email addresses), is that you, (ok - "I"), get used to thinking of them in a certain format/context.
Neil's handle includes his middle initial, his last named is "Tassel", not "Stassel".

On the other hand, he shoots a single stack, so that's just one more evidence of his, um, ... yeah - never mind.

Here's his website: Home | Neil S. Tassel

The problem with forum handles, (and email addresses), is that you, (ok - "I"), get used to thinking of them in a certain format/context.
Neil's handle includes his middle initial, his last named is "Tassel", not "Stassel".

On the other hand, he shoots a single stack, so that's just one more evidence of his, um, ... yeah - never mind.

Here's his website: Home | Neil S. Tassel
6a3nlk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom