Gunbroker Nightmare

Here's a cautionary note that won't apply to most of you, but I learned a $1,500 lesson today...

I ordered a gun on Gunbroker and had it shipped to what I thought was my LGS, however they changed ownership two years ago and maintained essentially the same business name with an address one block away.

Very long story short, the post office, the current dealer, former dealer, and the ATF cannot solve this problem. So I'm out $1500 and somewhere some lucky guy got a Sig 220 10mm...

1695772980450.png

This is 2023.....there is no excuse for not knowing and verifying in advance who you are buying from, who and where you are having said product shipped to, who the carrier will be and when it is shipped and when it's expected to arrive.

All FFL's validity and current information is available. Any receiving FFL should have at least been given a courtesy call beforehand to see if they'd accept an incoming gun.

Your $1500 dollar lesson is hard learned but was totally avoidable.

It was a mass market company akin to Buds...they auto shipped and claimed that because EZ Check verified the license that they have no liability.
Why would you buy a gun from a box store/drop shipper to begin with?

This is something normally that the remote would watch, if they cared.

It was a mass market company akin to Buds...they auto shipped and claimed that because EZ Check verified the license that they have no liability.
I assume you supplied a shipping address for the order? Even Gunbroker says that while half the point of EZ Check is validity, the other half is validating the shipping address.

Perhaps EZ Check still reports the old address for that FFL?

And more specifically I did...but it was the new FFL under the same company name, one address over. Once they said they would receive it I checked out.
So you did call the receiving FFL, and they said "Send it" but nobody confirmed the target?

Undeliverable....but the post office doesn't have it. My next step is to file a credit card dispute.
Undeliverable, but not held?

Last edited:
So, the gun was shipped to an FFL. We will call it ACME FFL.

The shipping label said ACME FFL was on Main Street 111 and requires signature (I hope).

When the delivery driver arrives, he can clearly see that there isn't an ACME FFL at address Main Street 111.

So, the dude just left the box with anyone, just some random dude at a random store?

Last edited:
Undeliverable....but the post office doesn't have it. My next step is to file a credit card dispute.
You need to stay on the post office to find it. It had to be assigned to delivery person and the fact it is a firearm. We had USPS deliver a receiver to Big-Y. We did some calling and the customer did as well. The service desk signed for it believing it was a box of stamps. They called to tells they had mail for us delivered to them. That’s when we put it together. We called them back to check the return address then one of us hightailed to Big-Y. So keep after USPS.

You need to stay on the post office to find it. It had to be assigned to delivery person and the fact it is a firearm. We had USPS deliver a receiver to Big-Y. We did some calling and the customer did as well. The service desk signed for it believing it was a box of stamps. They called to tells they had mail for us delivered to them. That’s when we put it together. We called them back to check the return address then one of us hightailed to Big-Y. So keep after USPS.
That's the plan for tomorrow...but they didn't even know it was a firearm. One would think in 2023 they'd have a process for this.

I'll explain the entirety of the situation tomorrow if anyone on this forum cares...I forgot the reason why NES sucked so much...apparently everyone here knows everything all the time and are completely infallible.

Almost identical business address, two valid FFL's...albeit the new guy left and didn't update his license add
View attachment 799927

This is 2023.....there is no excuse for not knowing and verifying in advance who you are buying from, who and where you are having said product shipped to, who the carrier will be and when it is shipped and when it's expected to arrive.

All FFL's validity and current information is available. Any receiving FFL should have at least been given a courtesy call beforehand to see if they'd accept an incoming gun.

Your $1500 dollar lesson is hard learned but was totally avoidable.
I'm not explaining myself well enough and at this point I really don't care too, thanks for your ignorant feedback.

That's the plan for tomorrow...but they didn't even know it was a firearm. One would think in 2023 they'd have a process for this.
Ok, our regular delivery people have an idea what’s being delivered but if a fill-in was delivering then most likely did not know and there’s a reason for that. They only know if an adult signature is required.

Ok, our regular delivery people have an idea what’s being delivered but if a fill-in was delivering then most likely did not know and there’s a reason for that. They only know if an adult signature is required.
Thank you...I appreciate your help rather than the Dr Grant idiot who apparently knows everything there is to know about everything firearm related.

I'll explain the entirety of the situation tomorrow if anyone on this forum cares...I forgot the reason why NES sucked so much...apparently everyone here knows everything all the time and are completely infallible.

Almost identical business address, two valid FFL's...albeit the new guy left and didn't update his license add

I'm not explaining myself well enough and at this point I really don't care too, thanks for your ignorant feedback.
I can only reply honestly to the ignorant information provided.

Either tell the whole story or STFU and admit you suck at doing internet gun purchases.

Weird, because in my experience Undeliverable means that it was a signature required or something like your front door was unable to be accessed, so they took it back to re-attempt delivery or hold at the post office.

Weird, because in my experience Undeliverable means that it was a signature required or something like your front door was unable to be accessed, so they took it back to re-attempt delivery or hold at the post office.
On the USPS website it indicated exactly that, but because I'm not the recipient, the invalid FFL is the only one that can receive or reschedule it...I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll return to sender and not claim that they have no idea where it is..

On the USPS website it indicated exactly that, but because I'm not the recipient, the invalid FFL is the only one that can receive or reschedule it...I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll return to sender and not claim that they have no idea where it is..
Hm, could you try and contact the address that it was incorrectly addressed to? If it was me, I'd say contact the seller, then USPS in PERSON at the post office it was sent out from, then try the old ACME address, then go back to USPS and start asking for names saying you are going to have to gather information to report a lost/stolen firearm to the FBI and ATF. Maybe they will get scared and "look more thoroughly"

I can only reply honestly to the ignorant information provided.

Either tell the whole story or STFU and admit you suck at doing internet gun purchases.
Tbh, there is no need to be this rude to a guy. He and partially the seller making an honest mistake and now trying to figure how to fix it. And this is why NES has a reputation for this stuff

With you not being the shipper or the receiver, your options are probably limited with the USPS. You may be able to file a claim, but I am not sure if they will let you.
My 2 cents (if you have not done this yet) would be to either have the shipper either cancel the shipment and retrun the package or redirect the package to a different FFL. There will be a fee to do either one I think.

It will most likely surface at some point, but their network is really slow. It may take some time.

I'm confused, if the USPS is saying undeliverable then it wasn't delivered and should be on it's way back to the sender. If USPS didn't deliver it and lost it, it's on them for whatever it was insured for. Who would ship something valued at 1500 without insurance.

On the other hand, if it was delivered to the wrong FFL, that would be on the buyer. But would an FFL really be the kind of a**h*** that keeps a gun that was accidentally shipped to them?

Back
Top Bottom