Nightmare Dealers

RDX

NES Member
Shopped around for conceal carry for my girl. Popped in a local shop, first thing they do is throw a FN 509 $700 pistol in her hand and tell her she doesn’t need a safety. I just have a huge problem with this. Ended up getting her a Ruger Max 9 $400 at another store out of town she is very happy! The sales person called 1911’s “911’s” by the way…

Did you take her to shoot any before buying one? To me that’s a pretty important step before purchase, especially if she’s not all that experienced. A manual safety isn’t as important as finding the right size pistol, one that she can shoot and manipulate the actions on easy enough is key. Then you go and find that model at a decent price and you don’t have to deal with the mouth breathers trying to sell you what nobody else wants to buy.

Shopped around for conceal carry for my girl. Popped in a local shop, first thing they do is throw a FN 509 $700 pistol in her hand and tell her she doesn’t need a safety. I just have a huge problem with this. Ended up getting her a Ruger Max 9 $400 at another store out of town she is very happy! The sales person called 1911’s “911’s” by the way…
They were right on the safety.
A safety is just another thing that can go wrong when you need the gun.

What's a safety

Op dealers are people too

And for whatever reason some people like fn

So they are going to push you towards what they like.

If i owned a shop id have stuffed a sig macro in your hand and told you you need a light and an optic

Just preference

Also...safeties are gay

If you want to buy a gun for your significant other - step one is to go to the range with them and let them shoot a lot of different guns until they find the one that they like.

I made the classic mistake buying the first gun for my wife. I bought her a short barrelled lightweight .38 revolver. I listened to gun shop employees who told me that it was mechanically simple, easy to use, blah, blah, blah. It's a nice gun, a S&W AirWeight, but it's no gun for a newbie. Because of the short barrel it's LOUD. Because of the lightweight, (which makes it easy to carry), it recoils significantly. That gun lives in a microvault in our bedroom as a backup.

Then I tried convincing her that my Glocks were perfect for her. Bought her a G42, (.380). Yeah, no. That ended up being mine until I sold it after buying a G43 (9mm).

Then we went to the range with a couple of friends and she shot a BUNCH of guns. She now owns (2) Sig P238's, a Sig P232, (2) Sig P320's, a Sig Mosquito, and an ambi AR I built for her using CMMG lower and Larue upper. And she sort of "owns" what used to be MY Kimber Target-II - I added ambi safety and changed the sights for her.

There are a TON of good guns on the market, both new and used. Think of them like cars, once you decide what class vehicle/gun, (truck/sedan/SUV; carbine/shotgun/pistol/revolver), you want, then you go model shopping. Test drive until you find the one you want/like, then price shop.

This is why when I search for a new CCW, I care about 4 things:

1. Reliability - I didn't buy a 365 until it had been out for over 3 years.
2. Size (needs to be as thin as possoble).
3. No junk sticking out the sides (example: slide lock or safety).
4. No safety.

A safety can fail and not just mechanically, but what if you get lint or dirt in it and can't move it all the way? ... what if the safety sticking out gets caught on a shirt?

My personal opinion is - you need to remove as many things that can go wrong when 2 seconds matter and your life is on the line.

Also, for those that love carrying several guns, the less junk you have to get used to, the better. Do you really want to remember that on one gun the safety goes up, on the other it goes down, the other gun doesn't have one ... way too much.

Count me in the no safeties on carry guns camp. I used to be indifferent to it until I took a live fire carry class and saw every single person running a gun with a safety forget to disengage it multiple times under the slightest duress (like drawing and firing at a target 7 yards away without shooting the guy next to you type of duress). It was really eye opening for me. These weren't even safety failures, they were operator errors due to adding a complication to your draw.

A safety is just another thing that can go wrong when you need the gun.
absolutely true.
but for majority of people it is needed due to amount of negligence they unleash on a loaded gun with one hot in the chamber.
for a striker models that only rely on the trigger pull, if gun is in the purse, bag, pocket or just gets shoved into a holster over stuck shirt or who knows what shit - that is how people get themselves shot.

so i would never advocate for a safety-less gun to a person who does not know what is it they want. let them better be with the safety, as chances for them to ever use that gun are minimal anyway.
to me it makes no difference at all, is there safety or is there no safety. i got enough glocks, and sig/cz has a safety, dunno, it is not an issue.
and on a 365 safety up is a good indicator that there is one in the chamber.

absolutely true.
but for majority of people it is needed due to amount of negligence they unleash on a loaded gun with one hot in the chamber.
for a striker models that only rely on the trigger pull, if gun is in the purse, bag, pocket or just gets shoved into a holster over stuck shirt or who knows what shit - that is how people get themselves shot.

so i would never advocate for a safety-less gun to a person who does not know what is it they want. let them better be with the safety, as chances for them to ever use that gun are minimal anyway.
to me it makes no difference at all, is there safety or is there no safety. i got enough glocks, and sig/cz has a safety, dunno, it is not an issue.
Meh, those people keep sticking their fingers in the trigger guard.

I kept a G19, with a 15 round mag and one in the pipe hanging from my hunting backpack all week in a holster. I tossed that bag around, dragged it into blinds, roped it up ladder stands, threw it in the back of a truck ...

The gun did not go off and it saw a lot more abuse than it would see in a purse.

In the end, it comes down to people. If someone can't keep their finger away from the trigger, my recommendation would be to get more training. If they don't, I would tell them to not carry the gun.

PS: The gun was needed, my buddy was surrounded by coyotes after his kill and we heard wolves up north. We arrived to help him bring the deer back and he was standing on his deer growling back at the coyotes, holding his Glock, defending his kill. It was too funny. I didn't see any, but I saw some massive bear tracks near one of the blinds.

absolutely true.

To your point, the person that doesn't use that gun all the time needs a carry gun without a safety more than anyone when the time comes to use it. Anything else is going to get them killed by whatever threat they are trying to mitigate by drawing their gun in the first place. How often is that gun coming out of the holster? That's the only time you're risking an ND.

The gun did not go off
glock will never go of by itself. only if some shit presses that trigger down when shoved around. a lipstick case, or edge of the wallet, or who knows what.
most people are simply negligent. and refuse to get a simple kydex shell for the gun, if it will be in a bag.

To your point, the person that doesn't use that gun all the time needs a carry gun without a safety more than anyone when the time comes to use it. Anything else is going to get them killed by whatever threat they are trying to mitigate by drawing their gun in the first place. How often is that gun coming out of the holster? That's the only time you're risking an ND.
Always place the finger firmly on the trigger while reholstering

I was dealing with a relatively new FFL over a decade ago. It was a part time job for the owners and that was problematic.

I had ordered and paid 50% advance for a .22 conversion kit for my Sig 226 so they would order it. And I waited...

Finally I got the call that it had arrived. The next day I head out to their small store to get my long awaited treat.

When I arrive one of the partners says I'll get it for you. But he can't find it. So he calls the other guy asking where it might.

Well the other guy had sold it. And he asked if I wanted them to reorder another? Nope, just give me my money back, please...

They were not terribly organized and did not last long in business.

Back
Top Bottom