Nightmare Dealers

I don't think I've ever relied on a safety, none of my edc's have a conventional toggle safety- they're all trigger bar safety.

You don't pull the trigger- no boom.

To each his own.

I have a buddy that REFUSES to rack a round into the chamber. "Anyone who carries with one in the chamber, outside of police, is a moron. It takes a half second to rack the slide. You're just stupid to do it." He's never asked me how I carry. I'm not going to indulge him. LOL. He never carried a Glock until this year. "There IS a safety, dude. Like, 3 of them." "Yeah, but you could still pull that trigger, which is why I never carry one in the chamber."

BTW - GREAT first post. LOL

To each his own.

I have a buddy that REFUSES to rack a round into the chamber. "Anyone who carries with one in the chamber, outside of police, is a moron. It takes a half second to rack the slide. You're just stupid to do it." He's never asked me how I carry. I'm not going to indulge him. LOL. He never carried a Glock until this year. "There IS a safety, dude. Like, 3 of them." "Yeah, but you could still pull that trigger, which is why I never carry one in the chamber."

BTW - GREAT first post. LOL
Your friend is a moron.

Ask him how he plants to rack the slide with one hand.

Or how long it will take him to draw, rack and shoot vs draw and shoot. Not just opinion, but using a shot timer.

That is assuming he doesn't release the slide early and doesn't load one in the pipe.

I was dealing with a relatively new FFL over a decade ago. It was a part time job for the owners and that was problematic.

I had ordered and paid 50% advance for a .22 conversion kit for my Sig 226 so they would order it. And I waited...

Finally I got the call that it had arrived. The next day I head out to their small store to get my long awaited treat.

When I arrive one of the partners says I'll get it for you. But he can't find it. So he calls the other guy asking where it might.

Well the other guy had sold it. And he asked if I wanted them to reorder another? Nope, just give me my money back, please...

They were not terribly organized and did not last long in business.

I'm not super surprised to hear that. Gun sales is largely a passion driven industry. Just because you have a passion for the product doesn't mean you have any idea how to run a retail business selling it properly. That in and of itself is a skillset that's in short supply today, and is probably the second least sexy part of owning a gun shop (after the paperwork).

I'm not super surprised to hear that. Gun sales is largely a passion driven industry. Just because you have a passion for the product doesn't mean you have any idea how to run a retail business selling it properly. That in and of itself is a skillset that's in short supply today, and is probably the second least sexy part of owning a gun shop (after the paperwork).

Fully agree.

I've run my own business for 38 years. A lot of what I do is common sense. It's not rocket science.

Here's my business plan:

Get the work --> Do the work --> Collect the money

Here's the keys to success. We must deliver projects:

- On time
- Within budget
- Projects must work correctly
- Communicate with the client through the entire process

Everything we do is centered on one of these tasks... well, except HR.

It's served me well for many decades. KISS...

Your friend is a moron.

Or how long it will take him to draw, rack and shoot vs draw and shoot. Not just opinion, but using a shot timer.

That is assuming he doesn't release the slide early and doesn't load one in the pipe.

Putting someone on a shot timer can be very illuminating.

Data's real.

Fully agree.

I've run my own business for 38 years. A lot of what I do is common sense. It's not rocket science.

Here's my business plan:

- On time
- Within budget

I used to say being punctual and polite is 85% of it

Shopped around for conceal carry for my girl. Popped in a local shop, first thing they do is throw a FN 509 $700 pistol in her hand and tell her she doesn’t need a safety. I just have a huge problem with this.
Why? Why do you have a huge problem with this?

Can we change the thread title to "Nightmare Customers"?

[laugh]
It would merge easily with this thread…

PS: The gun was needed, my buddy was surrounded by coyotes after his kill and we heard wolves up north. We arrived to help him bring the deer back and he was standing on his deer growling back at the coyotes, holding his Glock, defending his kill. It was too funny. I didn't see any, but I saw some massive bear tracks near one of the blinds.
I don’t know this guy but after reading this I wish I did. Hilariously badass. [rofl][cheers]

Safetys on pistols are problems
Meh.

A properly sized and located safety (like those on modern 1911s) can work fine if you are properly trained and you practice appropriately.

A gun without a manual safety, like a Glock) can also work fine if you are properly trained and you practice appropriately.

I used to carry 1911s. These days I carry Glocks. I have a lot of training and experience with guns with and without manual safeties. Both can work fine if you do you part. Both can be mishandled.

Edited to add: Anytime someone uses absolutes in the gun industry, I immediately discount what they are saying. "All shooters should start with a .22lr." "All shooters should start with a revolver." "Every gun should have a manual safety." "You should never carry a gun with a manual safety." "You should always do emergency reloads by pulling back on the slide, never using the slide release." Every one of those statements is crap. There are many ways to achieve the same thing and every one has advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
Fully agree.

Here's my business plan:

- On time
- Within budget

Worked at a company where a new employee quit. Was on the phone with HR trashing the boss just before.
Boss was a good guy, I gave him a heads up.
He said he didn't give a shit, he made the company millions and the owner millions, all HR did was cost them money. He said the owner had his back against HR every time.

I'm going to guess people that think it's dangerous to carry with a round in the chamber live in a world where (they think) they're always aware of their surroundings and would never be in a scenario in which they wouldn't have both hands available to rack the slide. They only carry so they can headshot a mass shooter from a full sprint at 100 yards.

I'm going to guess people that think it's dangerous to carry with a round in the chamber live in a world where (they think) they're always aware of their surroundings and would never be in a scenario in which they wouldn't have both hands available to rack the slide. They only carry so they can headshot a mass shooter from a full sprint at 100 yards.
CA65E62C-C2B2-4DBB-AD96-0A716EF9136B.gif

Meh.

A properly sized and located safety (like those on modern 1911s) can work fine if you are properly trained and you practice appropriately.

A gun without a manual safety, like a Glock) can also work fine if you are properly trained and you practice appropriately.

I used to carry 1911s. These days I carry Glocks. I have a lot of training and experience with guns with and without manual safeties. Both can work fine if you do you part. Both can be mishandled.

Edited to add: Anytime someone uses absolutes in the gun industry, I immediately discount what they are saying. "All shooters should start with a .22lr." "All shooters should start with a revolver." "Every gun should have a manual safety." "You should never carry a gun with a manual safety." "You should always do emergency reloads by pulling back on the slide, never using the slide release." Every one of those statements is crap. There are many ways to achieve the same thing and every one has advantages and disadvantages.
I don't see a positive for a safety on a pistol. I can understand why rifles and shotguns have them due to exposed triggers while bring carried around.

Not so much for pistols.

I don't see a positive for a safety on a pistol.
There are several advantages.

If you properly apply the safety before holstering, if you leave your finger on the trigger or if something gets into the trigger guard during holstering, then the gun won't go off. With a striker-fired gun, the same issue would result in a negligent discharge. No, I'm not saying that as a result striker-fired guns are unsafe.

A 1911 has a far better trigger than any striker-fired gun I've ever handled, making it easier to shoot accurately.

There have been a number of cases where a criminal disarmed a police officer who was carrying a gun with a safety and the perp was unable to figure out how to take the gun off safe before the police officer solved the problem.

Handguns with safeties have advantages and disadvantages. The same is true for handguns without safeties. There are few absolutes when it comes to guns.

All those "advantages" yet you don't carry one with a safety. Yawn.
I did for decades. Furthermore, I didn't say they were better, so you are being intellectually dishonest. I said they had advantages and disadvantages.

There is no best handgun, just as there is no best handgun action type. There are only advantages and disadvantages, so pick your poison.

I didn't say they were better either. Wtf are you talking about? Go troll someone else
Dude. [rofl] [rofl2]🤣.This is what you wrote just above, so what you implied is blindingly obvious:

All those "advantages" yet you don't carry one with a safety. Yawn.
You're just mad that I had the temerity to disagre with you.

I carry my CCW with a cable tie through the mag well. And a trigger lock around the trigger.

The magazine is carried in my pants pocket unloaded and in original packaging.

If the bad stuff happens I'll just ask the bad guy to hold on while I remove the cable ties, unlock the trigger guard, get the magazine out of the packaging, load 10 rounds (max according to state law, insert the magazine, rack the slide and release the safety.

Then I'll be properly prepared to defend myself.

:)

Your friend is a moron.

LOL. Maybe. Or maybe he's retired IDF.

I don't disagree with you. But it's his life, his choice. Ditto for safety vs. non. Hell, I actively avoid any DA/SA pistols. I don't own one. I prefer non-safety (trying to think of a manual safety gun I've ever carried. . . . maybe I carried a 1911 for a day. Maybe) and a full chamber. But that's me.

Safeties are useful on striker guns if your girl is planning to purse carry. Striker gun plus shitty holster thrown into a purse or a man purse spells disaster. Safety usually takes away much of the chance of an ND. Now a DA/SA gun in a purse or murse doesn't need a safety.

I carry my CCW with a cable tie through the mag well. And a trigger lock around the trigger.

The magazine is carried in my pants pocket unloaded and in original packaging.

If the bad stuff happens I'll just ask the bad guy to hold on while I remove the cable ties, unlock the trigger guard, get the magazine out of the packaging, load 10 rounds (max according to state law, insert the magazine, rack the slide and release the safety.

Then I'll be properly prepared to defend myself.

:)

This reminded me very much of a scene from The Survivors where Robin Williams' character is asking for a time out in a gun fight because he brought the wrong bullets for his gun.

Back
Top Bottom