• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nightmare Dealers

I feel like you people live far more interesting lives than i do

Things i avoid like the plague...federal buildings

But unless there is a metal detector i am not pulling out my gun

I have been to a Federal building 5-6 times in my life here (21 years): once to get my green card, once to get my citizenship and about 4 times for the wife to do her paperwork. All, except for one, in the big ugly Soviet looking building in Boston. My citizenship fingerprints and test were in a building in Lawrence.

Post office doesn't count.

Last edited:
I have been to a Federal building 5-6 times in my life here (21 years): once to get my green card, once to get my citizenship and about 4 times for the wife to do her paperwork. All, except for one, in the big ugly Aoviet looking building in Boston. My citizenship fingerprints and test were in a building in Lawrence.

Post office doesn't count.
I think i worked at the one in downtown Boston like 2 times

Post offices count for me i did a lot of service calls at them as a kid so i worked at all the distribution centers in the Northeast

But now.. no thank you not going anywhere near a federal building if i can help it

Primary hobby: collecting rich, white-boy hobbies that demand protective equipment... and special shoes

I know that one pair of tankers probably hurt the souls of a couple of members here, but they're now old enough to vote; they've seen things and that "patina" tells a story. I need to get them resoled, but I need someone who won't apply any black to them when he does.

I wanna know what goes with the Astars. 🤔

On the draw? Even assuming that happened, it would be pushing the trigger forward, not pulling it back. Every holster I've ever worn had the trigger and trigger guard completely covered. Nothing was getting in there. This feels like a stretch man... Hey if you like a safety, more power to you I guess. But this argument holds no water in my eyes.
I never said while drawing. When drawing, you finger is off the trigger (same with re-holstering); but I have had things START to catch in the trigger guard while re-holstering. I stay aware and stop in time. I'm used to 1911's, so I always do a "thumb safety sweep" no matter what I'm shooting, as well as constantly thinking while doing anything about "If something happened now" and what steps I would take?

I drive by hunters rendezvous a couple times a week and never go. I’ve heard the owner was a notorious penis, so I never bothered.

Drove by a couple weeks ago and saw two big signs advertising “new ownership!” Like they knew nobody ever came in because of the last owner and wanted to make it clear that penis head wasn’t there anymore.

Still haven’t gone in because I believe it’s a fudd emporium, but I might go in someday just to look.

I agree with this 100%. On a range toy single action with a 2-pound trigger, that's one thing. But on a carry gun, I don't want a safety. Not only is it something that can fail, but it's one more thing to have to think about in a high-stress situation. In a situation like that - it could get you killed. So I'm a hard no on safety on carry pieces dawg... If it's more complicated than pull the trigger - go bang, then I don't want it... Grip safeties, trigger safeties, manual safeties, etc. No thanks.
If you have to think about lowering a safety after you’ve drawn a gun then you haven’t done enough training with it.

It isn’t hard to train yourself to automatically lower the safety as part of your draw, without having to think about it. Seriously, it isn’t. I’ve done it. I competed with 1911s for years.

I suppose that if you’ve never actually trained with a gun with a safety that you might think it is a big deal. But it isn’t. A few thousand reps, which you can do in your basement without ammo, and it will be second nature.

Every time I see this thread's title, I picture something like:

Tarot-Cards-English-Version-Egyptian-Gods-Oracle-Cards-for-Party-Board-Game-Oracle-Cards-Family-Party.jpg

I drive by hunters rendezvous a couple times a week and never go. I’ve heard the owner was a notorious penis, so I never bothered.

Drove by a couple weeks ago and saw two big signs advertising “new ownership!” Like they knew nobody ever came in because of the last owner and wanted to make it clear that penis head wasn’t there anymore.

Still haven’t gone in because I believe it’s a fudd emporium, but I might go in someday just to look.

The old owner died. I believe his son took over.

You should go in.

Prices are high and can barely be seen from the counter so you have to ask them.

The places is full of random stuff, so if you like to look around and discover some stuff no other shops in New England have, go in.

The old owner is the one that told me if I did a transfer there I would have to pay sales taxe because it is like buying a used car. [rofl]

The old owner died. I believe his son took over.

You should go in.

Prices are high and can barely be seen from the counter so you have to ask them.

The places is full of random stuff, so if you like to look around and discover some stuff no other shops in New England have, go in.

The old owner is the one that told me if I did a transfer there I would have to pay sales taxe because it is like buying a used car. [rofl]
I was just talking about this with a friend last night. Didn’t know the old guy died. Guess he was a retired green beret.

Meh.

A properly sized and located safety (like those on modern 1911s) can work fine if you are properly trained and you practice appropriately.

A gun without a manual safety, like a Glock) can also work fine if you are properly trained and you practice appropriately.

I used to carry 1911s. These days I carry Glocks. I have a lot of training and experience with guns with and without manual safeties. Both can work fine if you do you part. Both can be mishandled.

Edited to add: Anytime someone uses absolutes in the gun industry, I immediately discount what they are saying. "All shooters should start with a .22lr." "All shooters should start with a revolver." "Every gun should have a manual safety." "You should never carry a gun with a manual safety." "You should always do emergency reloads by pulling back on the slide, never using the slide release." Every one of those statements is crap. There are many ways to achieve the same thing and every one has advantages and disadvantages.
What about an improperly placed safety on a revolver

I was just talking about this with a friend last night. Didn’t know the old guy died. Guess he was a retired green beret.

Not sure why what he did matters. The dude was a d*ck about transfers, and the few times I walked in there he didn't want to be bothered.

I think he didn't like it when I mentioned he might want to write his prices and gun info a little bigger and have them facing the customer. How dare I tell him that.

But, he did sell black powder, so that is all I ever bought there.

Last edited:
Not sure why what he did matters. The dude was a d*ck about transfers, and the few times I walked in there he didn't want to be bothered.

I think he didn't like it when mentioned he might want to write his prices and gun info a little bigger and have them facing the customer. How dare I tell him that.

But, he did sell black powder, so that is all I ever bought there.
Well, it doesn’t really matter I guess. Everyone I know who has gone in that shop says the same stuff about him.

I guess spending 3 years in Nam kind of gives him a little more cred. In my humble opinion anyway.

Well, it doesn’t really matter I guess. Everyone I know who has gone in that shop says the same stuff about him.

I guess spending 3 years in Nam kind of gives him a little more cred. In my humble opinion anyway.
The only infantry vet I've met who served in Vietnam casually swept me with a .45 Colt revolver...

Training. If you can't re-holster without pulling the trigger, you probably can't properly use a safety. In fact, a safety might give someone a false sense of security until the idiot forgets to use it and shoots him/her self.
Like this guy?.... I know, I know... but it still makes me laugh and I don't think its been posted in 24 hours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeMCYsyV94

To each his own.

I have a buddy that REFUSES to rack a round into the chamber. "Anyone who carries with one in the chamber, outside of police, is a moron. It takes a half second to rack the slide. You're just stupid to do it." He's never asked me how I carry. I'm not going to indulge him. LOL. He never carried a Glock until this year. "There IS a safety, dude. Like, 3 of them." "Yeah, but you could still pull that trigger, which is why I never carry one in the chamber."

BTW - GREAT first post. LOL
Your buddy does "Israeli carry". That's how they do it over there. No shit. The mover who we hired was ex-IDF and he said that soldiers and police would get into a lot of trouble if they carried with one in the chamber. Instead, they draw the pistol, bring it sideways up to eye level while grasping the slide with the weak hand and then "punch" the pistol forward with the dominant hand. Kind of odd, but their country their rules. Not my place to criticize them.

Your buddy does "Israeli carry". That's how they do it over there. No shit. The mover who we hired was ex-IDF and he said that soldiers and police would get into a lot of trouble if they carried with one in the chamber. Instead, they draw the pistol, bring it sideways up to eye level while grasping the slide with the weak hand and then "punch" the pistol forward with the dominant hand. Kind of odd, but their country their rules. Not my place to criticize them.
I’ll criticize them. The Israeli draw technique assumes that you will have two hands free. But your support hand might be busy - fending off the perp, pushing your spouse to safety, holding a child, etc. While there are techniques to rack the slide one handed, the best one is to hook the rear slide on your belt, which is hard to do if you are wearing a winter coat. If you ever need your gun, you need it real bad and you need it right now. Deliberately adding time until you can get your gun in action doesn’t seem like a winning strategy. Instead, just learn how to safely holster, draw, and handle a loaded gun.

I carry my CCW with a cable tie through the mag well. And a trigger lock around the trigger.

The magazine is carried in my pants pocket unloaded and in original packaging.

If the bad stuff happens I'll just ask the bad guy to hold on while I remove the cable ties, unlock the trigger guard, get the magazine out of the packaging, load 10 rounds (max according to state law, insert the magazine, rack the slide and release the safety.

Then I'll be properly prepared to defend myself.

:)
Don't give the morons on Beacon Hill any ideas - they might try and write something like this into the shitty anti-gun bill they're working on....

I’ll criticize them. The Israeli draw technique assumes that you will have two hands free. But your support hand might be busy - fending off the perp, pushing your spouse to safety, holding a child, etc. While there are techniques to rack the slide one handed, the best one is to hook the rear slide on your belt, which is hard to do if you are wearing a winter coat. If you ever need your gun, you need it real bad and you need it right now. Deliberately adding time until you can get your gun in action doesn’t seem like a winning strategy. Instead, just learn how to safely holster, draw, and handle a loaded gun.
My assumption, based on no research at all and with concurrence of the little voices in my head, was that in 1948 the Israeli draw technique was the only common manual of arms they could come up with after looking at the 12 different model surplus semi-autos dumped on them by countries who were just happy to be out of WW II and didn't want to think about military weapons anymore; and that since they almost immediately started fighting wars with neighbors they elected to go with the lowest common denominator training instructions.

Then, to prove they now had a real government, allowed bureaucratic inertia to carry those operations to the present day and created an instant military tradition of it.

My assumption, based on no research at all and with concurrence of the little voices in my head, was that in 1948 the Israeli draw technique was the only common manual of arms they could come up with after looking at the 12 different model surplus semi-autos dumped on them by countries who were just happy to be out of WW II and didn't want to think about military weapons anymore; and that since they almost immediately started fighting wars with neighbors they elected to go with the lowest common denominator training instructions.

Then, to prove they now had a real government, allowed bureaucratic inertia to carry those operations to the present day and created an instant military tradition of it.
Agreed. As a lowest-common denominator approach, particularly for the military where handguns are typically a backup weapon anyways, I can understand the logic for it. Many soldiers simply aren't well trained in the use of handguns and issue holsters are often of dubious quality. And since soldiers are typically part of a larger unit, their need to quickly draw and fire a handgun is less likely.

Agreed. As a lowest-common denominator approach, particularly for the military where handguns are typically a backup weapon anyways, I can understand the logic for it. Many soldiers simply aren't well trained in the use of handguns and issue holsters are often of dubious quality. And since soldiers are typically part of a larger unit, their need to quickly draw and fire a handgun is less likely.
But good googly moogly picking a new handgun for the army was a thing

I’ll criticize them. The Israeli draw technique assumes
the israeli method always assumes a factual scenario of a palestinian to pull your firearm from your own holster and shoot your kidney off then all the bystanders around.
there is always a reality of why some things are done the way they are.

How did I miss this thread and the talk of safety / no safety / loaded chamber / not loaded?

I've got a winner! I've got a winner!

My Dad had a friend, older gentleman. He carried a .38 or .32 revolver. He pointed out a snake while we were fishing, and handed the revolver to my Dad, saying "My eyes aren't too good anymore, can you shoot it?" My Dad took the gun, aimed and "Click", he kept the gun pointed at the snake until the old guy told him that it was an empty chamber. Next round hit the snake. (This was in the '80s, when all snakes in the water were assumed to be cottonmouths, and devastating to fish populations.) My Dad told him that you were supposed to keep the empty chamber under the hammer - IIRC, this was NOT a Colt or S&W, so it may have been prudent to have the hammer on an empty.
The guy told my Dad that he DID carry on an empty chamber, but the next round was also empty in case someone took the gun from him, that first shot wouldn't fire. WTF?????

Does that win or what????

Personally, I used to not carry guns with safeties, but then I started carrying autos. Now I have a safety, but my primary gun is a 1911, so it just works. I'm still trying to warm up to my Glock.

What revolver has a manual safety?

I know this isn't what you meant, it's a grip safety not a manual, but I've always lusted after the S&W model 40.... 1701108541739.png

The guy told my Dad that he DID carry on an empty chamber, but the next round was also empty in case someone took the gun from him, that first shot wouldn't fire. WTF?????
A cop knew (he retired and moved) in a boring Metrowest town carried a J frame in his boot as a backup gun with an empty chamber for that reason.

Does that win or what????
The guy definitely wins ... at failing.

The dude expects to fail, what a moron. He should leave his gun at home if he doesn't want to train with it and is so certain he won't be able to keep someone else from taking it.

Now, that grip safety, first time I have ever seen that.

Back
Top Bottom