• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops non essential?

The issue here is whether a person in NH can purchase a long gun and walk it into MA. Your response: "The feds allow for the transfer of rifles and shotguns across state lines by FFL." In which I am in agreement, and what I initially said. What's up with the name calling, how have I accosted you?
Initially, you said it would require an FFL to FFL transfer. Then you said that the "states have to be in agreement to a none resident buying and taking possession of said long gun in a none resident state" which in addition to the typos is factually incorrect. You're giving bad advice and doubling down on it.

Listen, you're a new poster here. You're excited to take part. All of this is great. In the old days, it was considered appropriate for new members of a community to hang back and see how things work before they start chiming in. Somehow social norms change. Now, users show up, refuse to read, then give bad legal advice to strangers on the internet and think they should get patted on the head for it.

Welcome, NES isn't known for its tummy rubs.

Untrue. Try refusing service to someone because they a black gay female legal immigrant with a hispanic surname and see how that goes.
I'll agree, if you admit that your reason for refusing service relates to the person's status as a protected class under certain laws, you'll get into a bit of hot water [...] concealed means concealed?

Initially, you said it would require an FFL to FFL transfer. Then you said that the "states have to be in agreement to a none resident buying and taking possession of said long gun in a none resident state" which in addition to the typos is factually incorrect. You're giving bad advice and doubling down on it.

Listen, you're a new poster here. You're excited to take part. All of this is great. In the old days, it was considered appropriate for new members of a community to hang back and see how things work before they start chiming in. Somehow social norms change. Now, users show up, refuse to read, then give bad legal advice to strangers on the internet and think they should get patted on the head for it.

Welcome, NES isn't known for its tummy rubs.
Well thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind the next time. Also I was able to find for information on the goal site. I'll sure to Share this like with the original poster. Handgun Sales Info | Massachusetts | GOAL - GOAL.ORG

Maybe I am mistaken. I just know that I tried to buy a long gun from NH and was told (basically talked down to) that it needs to go to a MA FFL. You guys are saying you can buy a long gun from another state's FFL and bring it to MA without an MA FFL transfer? That would be news to me...good news.
This like may be helpful it's from goal site. Handgun Sales Info | Massachusetts | GOAL - GOAL.ORG

i haven't followed the whole thread....my question is, do any gun store owners want to stay open? pretty selfish of you all to think they should be.

while i'm on the subject, one well known shop owner said to me 6-7 years ago "i just sell guns, i don't share your enthusiasm, i don't collect 'em and i'm not in love with them." odd statement i thought to tell a customer. and before you all ask, i'm not outing the guy.

i haven't followed the whole thread....my question is, do any gun store owners want to stay open? pretty selfish of you all to think they should be.

while i'm on the subject, one well known shop owner said to me 6-7 years ago "i just sell guns, i don't share your enthusiasm, i don't collect 'em and i'm not in love with them." odd statement i thought to tell a customer. and before you all ask, i'm not outing the guy.
I don't think they should be mandated to stay open, on the reverse they also shouldn't be mandated closed. If an ffl doesn't want or can't bare the risk of illness by all means close, but if an ffl feel they can or want to continue business they should be able to without fear of penalties.

I don't find this suprising at all. I don't think the guy who runs the tire shop lives for tires or is in love with tires. To him, they're just a way of making a living. I don't know why some gun shop owners would be any different.

I don't find this suprising at all. I don't think the guy who runs the tire shop lives for tires or is in love with tires. To him, they're just a way of making a living. I don't know why some gun shop owners would be any different.
Well tires aren't a constitutional right, or a politicized scapegoat. So I would hope the person I'm buying guns from isn't the same person who would be ok with the status quo so long as it didn't effect his business, or worst be working against the 2A for their own benefit.

Northeast Arms is still open for the time being. Could change at any moment of course.
I have been making calls. There are a lot who are open in some limited capacity (most by choice, they don't want to be completely open). ie; appointment only and engaging in social distancing, etc; I read the governor's order and I am not sure appointment only or limited access would fall under the definition of "open to the public" that the order prevents. I have confirmed MIRCS is operating and we are not a POC state so the state is not stopping transfers. If any FFL wants to operate and has been specifically told to close completely (say by the local PD), they should contact Comm2a. We will work with them to get them open again to some level of operation. We are working with the attorneys who are dealing with the situation in PA, NJ and other locations and one of them is David Jensen who you all may recognize from our carry case against Boston and Brookline (Gould).

Well tires aren't a constitutional right, or a politicized scapegoat. So I would hope the person I'm buying guns from isn't the same person who would be ok with the status quo so long as it didn't effect his business, or worst be working against the 2A for their own benefit.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I'm looking for my gun dealer to provide a service, not be an evangelist for the Second Amendment. I wouldn't buy from an anti-gun dealer, but then I wouldn't buy anything for anyone who was a dick. I'd just move on.

I've been surprised that gun store customers haven't been taking the virus as seriously as people in other stores. Supermarkets and whatever I've been in all have people keeping quiet and maintaining a certain level of separation, with employees wandering around wiping off the machines and carts here and there. CVS even has you stay behind a line 6' from the cashiers.

Got a transfer and some last minute browsing in last weekend (not entirely by choice--I'd bought a collector gun a while back and it finally showed up,) and the gun store's full of people milling around for hours, everyone's face-to-face laughing and talking, and handing guns back and forth. Some guys just hanging around to BS, other people walking in and dropping off ammo trades. Didn't see any wipes, barely any hand sanitizer, and some of the dudes were sounding off like "Yeah this Chinese cold is just the media's way to scare us." Only a few customers came in with gloves or a mask. Like, I'm not panicking over this whole thing, but if one infected person got into a small gun shop there are probably a dozen carriers now. If gun shops do stay open they should limit customers and maintain some kind of sanitary protocol.

I have been making calls. There are a lot who are open in some limited capacity (most by choice, they don't want to be completely open). ie; appointment only and engaging in social distancing, etc; I read the governor's order and I am not sure appointment only or limited access would fall under the definition of "open to the public" that the order prevents. I have confirmed MIRCS is operating and we are not a POC state so the state is not stopping transfers. If any FFL wants to operate and has been specifically told to close completely (say by the local PD), they should contact Comm2a. We will work with them to get them open again to some level of operation. We are working with the attorneys who are dealing with the situation in PA, NJ and other locations and one of them is David Jensen who you all may recognize from our carry case against Boston and Brookline (Gould).

Our Pennsylvania gun stores are now allowed to open. The Commonwealth Supreme Court declined to hear the case brought by gun store owners but the judges opinion letter persuaded the Governor to list gun stores as essential. They have to follow COVID-19 mitigation practices but have no other restrictions.

If anybody is interested in the concurring and dissenting opinion of Justice Wecht, he makes some excellent points should overreach happen in your state. In short, the United States constitution and the constitution of the commonwealth protect access to firearms. The burdensome regulatory environment in place to access a firearm isn’t possible through the mail or curbside. They should be exempt from the order to close.

Below is the judges letter.

Carl at Four Seasons is back open. Remember, he closed PRIOR to the 23rd order. No store should be fully closed unless they want to be closed. All stores should limit customers in the store and/or work by appointment.

Honestly you should have planned better if you needed something.....learn how to prep properly. (Or is hording your hobby)Ya it sucks but did you really expecting anything different from Baker. Again better planning would have been a more prudent. Opinions may vary.

You’re not wrong but this isn’t really the point. The point is this is government over reach. Rights surrendered are difficult to restore, you don’t need to look any further than Massachusetts to see proof. Somebody who failed to plan should not be denied the right to defend themselves, end of story.

You have NO rights in MA, all you have is privileges offered to you at the whim and pleasure of those in the ruling class. Sad but that is the real world situation in Commiechusetts.

Four Seasons announced their reopening on a limited basis at approx. 9:00 pm last night. Carl quoted the notice on the mass.gov website identifying firearms retailers as being an “essential business”. At 9:30 Carl announced that retailers had been removed from the list.
One can only imagine the frenzy of phone calls and text messages from the AG’s office, the legislature, Moms Demand Action and other haters that occurred between 9:00 and 9:30 demanding that the essential business list be revised. Naturally Baker complied showing his customary spinelessness in the face of “outrage”.
It is just sad — really sad.

Is anyone doing anything to challenge this? Comm2a? CA is getting sued and NJ backed down with this BS after getting sued. Why is no one in MA willing to stand and fight? I would donate to a lawsuit.

Back
Top Bottom