• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops non essential?

Does this mean that the Online transfer is also closed ?.
Don't think so, but even if it isn't you're limited to 3 transfers, so it's not like we can totally cut out the gun stores. My hope is the ffls who don't have store fronts will still do transfers from home, that is so long nics and the portal remains up.

Haha! So basically gun stores, restaurants and hair dressers need to stay home. Thanks Tall Deval! No wonder u f***ed the big dig up!!!
You know how the system works.

Write up a huge report so it looks like you were busy and showing off how smart you are when in fact all you did was cut and paste it from somebody alot smarter than you are who did the work.

Don't think so, but even if it isn't you're limited to 3 transfers, so it's not like we can totally cut out the gun stores. My hope is the ffls who don't have store fronts will still do transfers from home, that is so long nics and the portal remains up.
4 transfers as seller not 3. Buy as many as you like.

The moral of the story the government has created a prohibitive system, and yank it from under our feet. It doesn't matter if you've got guns and ammo galore, you should be upset a constitutional right is being infringed upon.

Doesn't the right only guarantee you can keep and bear arms? That's not changed, you can keep and bear your guns. And you can always drive to another state that hasn't closed and buy a long gun that's legal to possess here.

The liquor store exception is stupid but its in the Federal statutes so we follow that. Obviously the liquor industry has a far better lobby than the gun industry.

Looks like gun shops will be closing starting tomorrow due to goveners executive orders. How many do you think will follow suit, and how are gun shops considered non essential?

No worries, it's just temporary, like the income tax:

In order to help pay for its war effort in the American Civil War, the United States government imposed its first personal income tax, on August 5, 1861, as part of the Revenue Act of 1861.

How is a gun shop considered essential?

If you don't have what you need, it's your problem, not the stores.

OK, now use that same logic with hardware stores and supermarkets and convenience stores.

If you haven't bought your three weeks of food, why is that the supermarket's problem?

My issue with the fact that Firearms are not listed as essential really boil down to what they do consider essential.

It's arguable that in Mass. the number of people who both have an LTC (who could buy a gun) AND don't already have a gun or three is vanishingly small.

Therefore: the public good of keeping people away from each other to limit the spread of COVID-19 exceeds the real cost of infringing on rights.

1) they consider Liquor stores essential. Ok, straight up liquor stores provide no essential products.

There are a lot of functional alcoholics, it would be pretty damn bad if those physically addicted started showing up at hospitals as they detox.

A number of states have included bike shops as essential. But not MA.

We don't know yet. Still waiting on clarification. I work at a shop with 75 employees and we've been crazy busy so obviously management wants to keep all this money coming in and keep paying the staff. The list of exclusions mentions transportation maintenance and repair technicians but doesn't specify automobiles. Lots of people commute by bike in the city and cycling is a great way to increase lung performance and practice "social distancing". Would also suck for customers to have their property (bikes in for repair) locked in the shop for however long this lasts.

The order/advisory doesn't mention firearms or gun shops at all. It could easily be interpreted that they are essential to public safety. I don't think there has been any clarification to the contrary.

OK, now use that same logic with hardware stores and supermarkets and convenience stores.

If you haven't bought your three weeks of food, why is that the supermarket's problem?

It's arguable that in Mass. the number of people who both have an LTC (who could buy a gun) AND don't already have a gun or three is vanishingly small.

Therefore: the public good of keeping people away from each other to limit the spread of COVID-19 exceeds the real cost of infringing on rights.

There are a lot of functional alcoholics, it would be pretty damn bad if those physically addicted started showing up at hospitals as they detox.

There's no debate about the cost of infringing on inalienable rights, cause you can't take them away.

It's no different than cancelling elections.

The order/advisory doesn't mention firearms or gun shops at all. It could easily be interpreted that they are essential to public safety. I don't think there has been any clarification to the contrary.
This closure is for all but businesses on the list (sort of like the EOPS gun list in concept - if it's not on the list, it cannot remain open), with a procedure to apply for essential status.

Looks like gun shops will be closing starting tomorrow due to goveners executive orders. How many do you think will follow suit, and how are gun shops considered non essential?

LOL!! Gun shops voluntarily close on Sundays and Mondays most of them already. Gun shops keep lazier hours than banks do now a days. Of course they're going to close at the first chance they get. You won't have to ask them twice to take a little vacation!

How is a gun shop considered essential?

If you don't have what you need, it's your problem, not the stores.

Would you tell someone selling fire safety equipment they weren't essential business? Oh wait, probably not.

That's independent of course of whether or not a gun shop chooses to close voluntarily regardless of the edict. (some already have, like FS).

-Mike

Store inventories were blown the f*** out recently. What matter is it if they have to close, they have nothing to really sell. Any one of us has more than enough ammo or guns to get theough this.

My family NEEDS me to provide groceries, they dont need me to to potentially bring this shit back in my house because I picked it up at any place that I dont 100% need to be at.

This closure is for all but businesses on the list (sort of like the EOPS gun list in concept - if it's not on the list, it cannot remain open), with a procedure to apply for essential status.

It's in the list: https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-essential-services/download
"Commercial retail stores that supply essential sectors, including convenience stores, pet supply stores, auto supplies and repair, hardware and home improvement, and home appliance retailers "

The word "including" indicates that the list following are examples but not an exhaustive list.

Back
Top Bottom