Gun shops non essential?

I'm surprised at you .... you forgot illegal aliens, as they do have rights.
Same with criminals.
Boston just released a man accused of second degree murder because he has “underlying medical conditions”.
And the SJC is about to order the release of thousands of inmates in the interest of “public health”.

Is anyone doing anything to challenge this? Comm2a? CA is getting sued and NJ backed down with this BS after getting sued. Why is no one in MA willing to stand and fight? I would donate to a lawsuit.
Comm2a does not comment on or publicly discuss actions that are planned or under consideration, but we are aware of this situation.

Last edited:
Is anyone doing anything to challenge this? Comm2a? CA is getting sued and NJ backed down with this BS after getting sued. Why is no one in MA willing to stand and fight? I would donate to a lawsuit.
Find us someone who has a license, a gun and no ammunition. Or someone with a license and no gun and ammo. If so, then sure. Seriously, that’s what we need.

Honestly you should have planned better if you needed something.....learn how to prep properly. (Or is hording your hobby)Ya it sucks but did you really expecting anything different from Baker. Again better planning would have been a more prudent. Opinions may vary.

I agree that we shouldn't be rushing to the stores now to get our first gun or a box of ammo because we had none before.

This is about government shutting down people's ability to exercise their rights. There are plenty of people just turning of legal age who need to get their training to get their licenses. Or who just got their license and want to get a gun.

Four Seasons announced their reopening on a limited basis at approx. 9:00 pm last night. Carl quoted the notice on the mass.gov website identifying firearms retailers as being an “essential business”. At 9:30 Carl announced that retailers had been removed from the list.
One can only imagine the frenzy of phone calls and text messages from the AG’s office, the legislature, Moms Demand Action and other haters that occurred between 9:00 and 9:30 demanding that the essential business list be revised. Naturally Baker complied showing his customary spinelessness in the face of “outrage”.
It is just sad — really sad.

it was changed long before that time on the State website, had nothing to do with Carl's announcement.

I consigned a gun at Patriot a couple weeks ago and now it's in purgatory since they shut down. I'm at least glad I was able to pick up a transfer right before the doors closed.

Find us someone who has a license, a gun and no ammunition. Or someone with a license and no gun and ammo. If so, then sure. Seriously, that’s what we need.

Can reloading tools, bullets, shells, powder, primers, etc. be factored into the lawsuit?

I want to buy a Dillon 550, powder, etc. but I can't because my LGS has been shut down.

I think it's an open question as to whether Charlie Baker actually has the cojones to try to shut down a gun store or range that's operating. I think he's just trying to avoid the bad press of having them on the list.

There are stores that are open for business...

Did NJ and CA have plaintiffs in that situation? I guess they're different because they don't require LTCs to purchase any firearm. But it's hard to imagine a court tossing a case based on standing just because a plaintiff owns other guns.

What about ranges? I don't have a place to practice shooting, which I would presume is protected.

But it's hard to imagine a court tossing a case based on standing just because a plaintiff owns other guns.
Owning other guns suitable for self defense undermines the claim that the closure order strips the plaintiff of his ability to exercise his 2A rights as defined by Heller & McDonald.
What about ranges? I don't have a place to practice shooting, which I would presume is protected.
Yup.

Could it be argued that since gun shops support the firearm and ammo distribution for LEO that they are considered essential? Tenuous, but they did write that line pretty vaguely....

Instead of an esoteric argument a more forceful response may be ceasing to service the law enforcement community during this shutdown.

The LE community does not generally buy their duty guns or ammo as walk-in customers to local gunshops.

This is a 2A issue. The goal is to make a point that the 2A is not a "right of the second class", not hack the shops into opening while letting the state's declaration stand.

I can say that AAA Police Supply in Dedham was closed yesterday and all their sales are geared to LE!! [They have an FFL but don't sell guns anymore, and haven't in many years.]

I guess that they are serious. They just shut down all BFS & LEOSA training in MA!

i haven't followed the whole thread....my question is, do any gun store owners want to stay open? pretty selfish of you all to think they should be.

while i'm on the subject, one well known shop owner said to me 6-7 years ago "i just sell guns, i don't share your enthusiasm, i don't collect 'em and i'm not in love with them." odd statement i thought to tell a customer. and before you all ask, i'm not outing the guy.
That's one of the reasons he does so well. I know of at least 2 smaller shops that when they take in a decent collection, wind up keeping half of them for themselves. The guy that I believe you referenced is into airplanes, well he used to be, I guess now he's just into making money.

I've never done it but I was under the impression if you bought a long gun in NH you could bring it home to Mass as long as you did an FA-10, and not necessarily through an FFL.

Also, it's still legal in Mass to do a face to face transfer as long as you do an FA-10, well an Electronic one on the Comm of Mass website, correct?

Last edited:
That's one of the reasons he does so well. I know of at least 2 smaller shops that when they take in a decent collection, wind up keeping half of them for themselves. The guy that I believe you referenced is into airplanes, well he used to be, I guess now he's just into making money.

I've never done it but I was under the impression if you bought a long gun in NH you could bring it home to Mass as long as you did an FA-10, and not necessarily through an FFL.

Also, it's still legal in Mass to do a face to face transfer as long as you do an FA-10, well an Electronic one on the Comm of Mass website, correct?
Yes and yes.

On Sunday, I went to Woodcraft in Walpole to get some supplies for my woodworking project. They were open doing curb side pickup.

Hey Baker, Is a woodworking hobby shop essential?

Back
Top Bottom