• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Free Zone: Gun Club

He gets this really annoyed tone about him like I'm some sort of idiot. Then when I'm done he stops the whole event to tell everybody that no holstered guns are allowed to be loaded.

You gotta be kidding me right?!?! Yeah... I just got my LTC so I can carry around an empty weapon.

That type of rule is true at the majority of gun clubs -- almost all gun clubs run cold ranges. Lots of people have NDs when drawing or holstering, and many people who are carrying have never been trained to do it properly.

Another factor is that many people use range guns that are not the same as their carry guns (light triggers, etc.). Yes, I know there are those of you who will respond "Not me, I'm a tactician and a grizzled veteran of suburban shopping malls, I carry and enter matches with the same gun". It's not practical to make such a distinction on the firing line. One person has a Glock in a holster suitable for daily carry; the next may have a 1911 with a sub 2-lb trigger job in a Ghost, Safariland or Guga Ribas speed holster.

My criteria:

- Does the club give me s--t if I arrive with a carry gun and want to find a place unload it before the match, and reload it when I leave?

- Does the club hold it's staff to the same standards, or have they declared themselves "security" exempt from the rules the impose on others?

If the answers are "no" and "yes", it's fine with me.

If I am not mistaken any time you take a class at GOAL you are asked to unload and secure your firearm.

I can field this!

Art of CC - Keep your gun but no ammo! We role play in this class and handle a variety of guns. When you play a role, all your gear (OC, gun, knives) go in the plastic bucket until game over.

BFS Primer - I could care less what you have. This is a lecture course only.

NRA Basic Pistol - If you are taking this class, it is because you either don't have a license or lack the knowledge or skills to handle a gun safely....no ammo! We do lot's of dry fire in the classroom!

Instructor Courses -NRA policy is stated......no live ammo in the classroom.

That type of rule is true at the majority of gun clubs -- almost all gun clubs run cold ranges. Lots of people have NDs when drawing or holstering, and many people who are carrying have never been trained to do it properly.

I seriously doubt your allegation.

I've belonged to 4 different clubs over the years and never saw that rule at any of them. I was never advised of that rule at the other clubs I visited each time I went looking for a new/added home.

Admittedly I never attended any organized shoots where people would be shooting from the holster, so it may be a rule for a particular event.

Only at one of those clubs did I ever get crap for carrying a holstered gun and that club was made up of and run by FUDDs both then and now (people only interested in bullseye or skeet/trap with no interest/respect for the 2A).

I seriously doubt your allegation.

I've belonged to 4 different clubs over the years and never saw that rule at any of them. I was never advised of that rule at the other clubs I visited each time I went looking for a new/added home.

Admittedly I never attended any organized shoots where people would be shooting from the holster, so it may be a rule for a particular event.
).

I have yet to be at an event that allowed you to carry a loaded gun

TAG required all guns to be loaded at all times! Too bad they aren't active at Nashua F&G anymore!

TAG's rules were refreshing -- I shot a couple matches at Nashua. I've attended classes that followed hot range rules as well. But I've never seen another club adopt those rules.

I have yet to be at an event that allowed you to carry a loaded gun

"Events" can be a different issue. Rob Boudrie painted a reasonable thought process on some events.

Come to a CMP match (this Sat AM) at Braintree R&P. Some carry openly and as long as they don't go for their handgun instead of shoot their rifle, I've not seen anyone hassled. [wink]

I also know that SAS ladies are not hassled at BR&P when they attend their practice sessions. Few of them have permits but I personally know a few with LTCs that do ccw.

I can't speak to any other "events" as I have not witnessed them happen from the beginning.

So "my friend" goes to a Hunter Safety Course ....

This is a defacto requirement of Mass Wildlife when a Hunter Education class is being conducted. I'm a certified instructor and while I totally disagree with this..they have us over a barrel at the moment.

As usual, it becomes a liability issue for the "State" agency when we are acting upon their behalf as instructors and they don't want the liability. If we don't follow the policy, then we can't be instructors...it's that simple.

I've often thought of boycotting this policy and getting every instructor to stop enforcing it as a protest, but when they fire us all and they've got no instructors and we're not "breading a new generation", we're screwed.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this reversed and still keep Hunter Education going and bringin people into the sport...let me know.

I figure the club is a private entity and they can make and enforce whatever rules they want.

I just wouldn't patronize them. Neither should "your friend".

+1000. They are pandering to the weak and stupid in society. Why voluntarily give up your right to self defense? If a shooting was to occur in a gun club WHY WOULDN'T YOU want to have a means of self protection????

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this reversed and still keep Hunter Education going and bringin people into the sport...let me know.
How about bringing people into shooting sports that require the use of a firearm more than a couple of times a year.

Same thing when I took the hunter safety class last year.

I think it may be a basic safety issue where everyone is handling various firearms they are not familiar with and this class also had a sample of dummy rounds.

If everyone also has their own firearm and ammo it's not inconceivable there could be a mix up.

As a matter of fact, ditto the Art of Concealed Carry class at GOAL. People were asked to at least unload. I do not know what was where after that.

Bill

Most of the time, this issue doesn’t come up for me: most of my instruction is done on a one-to-one basis, and most of my “students” are folks looking for a certification with which to apply for a license (and therefore can’t be armed in the first place).

When I am giving instruction to someone who is armed, my rule is that his or her gun is produced, cleared and left on the table until we are actually going to shoot with it.

Once in a while, I do more general presentations to a wider audience, in the nature of a “show and tell.” (For instance, I have given a presentation a couple of times to yacht owners on some practical considerations should they elect to sail armed.) My rule in these cases is that I control all of the guns, and no less importantly, all of the ammunition in the room. (In fact, there will be no ammunition in the room except what is in my holstered sidearm, which is not part of the "show and tell" and which remains in the holster.)

None of this has anything to do with politics or philosophy. Rather, it is simply my insistence that there will be no ADs (or other dangerous situations) so long as I am in charge.

I just completed the course last night. Though I somewhat still disagree with the Masswildlife policy I had a great time in the class and I do understand the need for a safety policy instituted by MASSWILDLIFE. However this is for the spineless and stupid bastard/troll/scumbag that decided to misread this post and went ahead and told the instructors that someone online said that the Gun Club banned the guns. If you read all of the posts like you should of instead of being a lazy bastard you wouldn't have missed this line.

The course guide later handed out a booklet in class that stated "DO NOT bring any firearms or ammunition to classes."

There is no room for your kind here on NES. If you have enough sack and spine (which I doubt) I expect you to come forward and tell me what the hell crossed your mind when you decided to be lazy and put someone else's reputation on the line by misinforming someone. Did you get a badge, a cookie, a medal when you told him this lie? You disgust me.

To those who are here letting off rants i.e. Town Fair Tire, your mechanic, your job, etc. I urge you to be careful because I thought there weren't people of this kind here on NES but apparently there are some trolls amongst us. I'd like to thank all of the other students alnong who attended this course with me. I would also like to thank Bob and Dale for the great job they did (If you're going to tell something make sure you tell them that you ass) It was truly a great time.

So "my friend" goes to a Hunter Safety Course today at a gun club while he was carrying. He didn't think anything of it considering he was going to a gun club after all. To his surprise, the instructor asks a class of 50 if anyone has any firearms on them and if they did they had to surrender them and put them in a locked closet in the club. The course guide later handed out a booklet in class that stated "DO NOT bring any firearms or ammunition to classes."
The instructor's reasoning for not wanting a room full of armed people was that if an incident were to occur he wouldn't want a shootout and it would more than likely reach the west coast news in seconds. This instructor said things weren't like they used to be when a kid could have a gun in his room. How can someone promoting the sport of shooting blatantly take away someone's firearm like that? I felt the same way when I was stripped of my ammo and had my gun zip tied at a gun show. If the head of these organizations don't trust a room full of legally armed citizens to make the right choices, how should we expect the pols to trust all of us? If it's not about trust and mere rights to you, these organizers are still taking away our 2A rights and how do we expect not to be "tread on" by liberal pols?
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but please try to talk me out of why it is okay for someone who promotes firearms to take them away. Should "my friend" write a letter to Wayne MacCallum and mention this, or should he bring this up to his instructor. It appears the organization approves disarming citizens from top to bottom. How would you react to this dilemma?

(I'm sure some of you would say "Hell, I'd walk out/leave." If you live in MA you've been pressed to run through a shitload of little loops and mazes to obtain your gun license so just leaving isn't an option.)
I haven't visited "many" gun clubs - The one that I belong to (ANJRPC in NJ, Cherry Ridge) has a policy of "No Guns in the Clubhouse". I think this is probably a lot more common than one would think. I've personally seen new shooters being more prone to mistakes than seasoned shooters. There are guns all over the grounds at ANJRPC, being that there are five different ranges to accommodate different uses, plus an archery range. I'm not particularly "for" nor "against" the policy, but I'm sure there are reasons why the the policy is there. Cherry Ridge is in no stretch of the imagination "Anti-Gun" in any way. They (as well as I) do believe in "Safety First". I think that an active shooter would be a LOT less likely to act out in a place having an abundance of loaded firearms close by.

No guns in the clubhouse? At a gun club? :rolleyes:

I guess before the Bruen decision few members carried concealed, but that's going to change.

I'm not particularly "for" nor "against" the policy, but I'm sure there are reasons why the the policy is there.

Not any reasonable reasons.

All you nay sayers.....you realize that if you take the NRA courses the NRA requires that all students and instructors be unarmed during class right? The nra......no guns allowed in classroom. I've taken 2 nra courses and both we were asked if we were carrying and both times people had to go yo their cars and lock up their handguns.

All you nay sayers.....you realize that if you take the NRA courses the NRA requires that all students and instructors be unarmed during class right? The nra......no guns allowed in classroom. I've taken 2 nra courses and both we were asked if we were carrying and both times people had to go yo their cars and lock up their handguns.
I’m well aware of that rule because I’m an NRA instructor. You can guess what I think of that rule.

It’s a holdover from fudd origins. There are differences between a classroom setting and just being in the clubhouse, however.

Last edited:
I’m well aware of that rule because I’m an NRA instructor. You can guess what I think of that rule.

It’s a holdover from fudd origins. There are differences between a classroom setting and just being in the clubhouse, however.
Understood. I'm just pointing out the fact to the nay sayers that this is standard procedure for alot of classroom instruction involving fire arms.

The correct actions are:

a) “concealed is concealed”
b) leave
c) both a and b

Guns are definitely allowed in the classroom so you can show the students different action types, for example.

FWIW when I taught for a bit, I never asked if anyone had a gun on them. First, in MA it's unlikely in a basic LTC class; second, if I don't ask then no one has to lie.

Guns are definitely allowed in the classroom so you can show the students different action types, for example.

FWIW when I taught for a bit, I never asked if anyone had a gun on them. First, in MA it's unlikely in a basic LTC class; second, if I don't ask then no one has to lie.
Your being too literal. I meant no loaded guns on your person. You did what you felt right.....I get that......doesn't change the fact that the nra policy is no carrying of fire arms on your person during class

I'm pointing this out so readers understand that it's actually common for insteuctors.....even nra instructors......to ask students not to have a gun on them for a class.

Back
Top Bottom