Gun cleaning - what do you use?

What do you guys & ladies use to clean you firearms? I've tried many over the years from Hoppes No. 9 to the latest and greatest 'space-age' cleaners. For the past couple of years I use M-Pro 7 as it seems to work very well and with no odor (my little lady LOVES [kiss]the smell of Hoppes No. 9, but it gives me a headache).

As far as lubes do you use synthetic oil or real petroleum base oil/grease?

Thanks [grin]

I use Hoppes #9, elbow grease, and some Nye Oil sewing machine oil that i've had forever for lube. Generic windex is thrown in the mix when shooting corrosive ammo.

M-Pro 7 is really that good huh? I need to grab some I suppose. I've been using #9 for quite some time, but I'm always game for something that works better...

I use an expensive bore cleaner like M Pro 7 or Hoppes for the bore and inexpensive stuff for the rest of the gun. I have a 50 cal ammo can half full of mineral spirits (paint thinner) to clean the frame, slide and small parts. If I'm in a hurry, I use brake or carb cleaner rather than the paint thinner. The dirt and gunk on the frame and slide are easy to remove; you just don't need expensive cleaners for this task.

When the price of a 4 oz bottle of "Break Free" got to $6.00 at the local gun store, I started looking for an alternative. I settled on 5w50 synthetic motor oil (recommended by Ciener) for my 22s and 20w50 for the rest of my guns. I add a little superfine moly powder (.3 gr per oz) to improve the lubrication (like the Teflon in "Break Free"). I have been using this stuff for a year and it performs as well as any gun oil I have tried and its a lot cheaper.

MPro 7 for corrosive ammo clean up first followed up by funnel flush with water, then a few dry patches, then either Kroil or Break Free depending on bore condition. Kroil for the bad bores, Break Free for the clean ones.
IMO there is no gun cleaner you will use that will give you a clean patch once you run one through soaked in Break Free.
and for what its worth I think Kroil makes me smell sexier than Hoppes.[smile]
BTW.. You can get Break Free and Kroil in gallon cans for cheap $$ compared to most gun cleaners.

Gun Cleaning- Eezox

I use Eezox on all of my weapons (Guns & Knives). Gun scubber to "mass" clean powder residue and final clean/lube with Eezox. Eezox will dry after a few hours and is dry to the touch; does not attract/collect - lint/dirt so it's great for CCW.

I happen to like the oder (not a petroleum odor) as it is a synthetic lube.[smile]

Good luck with your search.

60% Synthetic motor oil - 40% Marvel Mystery Oil.

Currently I am experimenting with Teflon dry lube,so far so good with my AR.Makes cleaning the carbon a little bit easier,but nothing magical.Next up for the test is my 10/22 and Rem 870.I still use the mixture above to clean the BBL.

60% Synthetic motor oil - 40% Marvel Mystery Oil.

Currently I am experimenting with Teflon dry lube,so far so good with my AR.Makes cleaning the carbon a little bit easier,but nothing magical.Next up for the test is my 10/22 and Rem 870.I still use the mixture above to clean the BBL.

I use Remington dri lube on my Swiss straight pull bolts and it seems to keep them working nice and smooth with no oily finish to gather dirt.

I use Remington dri lube on my Swiss straight pull bolts and it seems to keep them working nice and smooth with no oily finish to gather dirt.

I was looking at that stuff as well,but a little expensive.I am using this stuff because I heard good things about Teflon and firearms,and Dupont has the trademark on it.Hell,the can even says as one of it's uses 'firearms'.

$4.95 a can.

I gave up on all the expensive commercial weapon cleaners a while ago,although I do like the smell of Hopps. [smile]

Hoppes cleaner and militec1 for oil.

I used militec for years on knives, I really like that stuff.

I've always been a Hoppes guy but have recently been trying gun scrubber. It seems to work better on lead and copper fouling. I use dry lube (Hoppes or Rem) on my 10/22 but started to have rust problems when I tried it on my SKS.

Once ever couple of years, yeah, you might want to. [wink]

But I like guns hot and dirty [grin]

Actually, when I clean, I am a fan of three products. I like Hoppe's #9, Mpro for certain things, and JB Bore cleaner for fouling and real heavy dirt.

My carry guns get cleaned. My rifle gets cleaned some times, my revolvers get cleaned every 3000 to 4000 rounds whether they need it or not except the cylinder gets a brush through it before every match. Shotguns are cleaned as needed.

Once a year, the revolvers used for games get disassembled and every piece inspected, cleaned, lubricated as needed and reassembled. If parts show wear, they are replaced.

Every day, carry guns are inspected. Every 2 months carry guns are inspected, fired, inspected and cleaned.

I have seen a lot of guns ruined by too much cleaning and not enough cleaning. There is a fine line there that is very difficult to discern.

I gave up on all the expensive commercial weapon cleaners a while ago,although I do like the smell of Hopps. [smile]

...You clean your guns with beer ?
darkbeer.gif
[thinking] [laugh]

I use gun scrubber for the bores. Blue Wonder 'bout twice a year to really clean them up. Good old military bore cleaner for most everything else. Used most everything out there. The addition of elbow grease makes all of it work.

I do use Militech grease exclusively.

But I like guns hot and dirty [grin]

I had to wonder if you were describing guns or... oh n/m.

anyway...

I currently use Rem action cleaner, rem bore bright and rem oil.

Yes... Im still rather new and bought what the guy at Dick's told me to buy.

I have found the Ram action cleaner to be the same as brake cleaner... only more expensive.

The bore bright I dont think does such a great job.

the rem oil does make everything nice and new looking when Im done though.

On a side note... I LOVE cleaning my guns almost as much as I love shooting them.

SO they get cleaned near every range trip... even if they see less then 100 rounds.

but that is just me [smile]

I clean my guns depending on how they look and function...

I spray my lever guns down with gun scrubber where I can't get into them to clean without taking them complely apart. Spray, work the action, caned air, spray, work the action and turn upside down to let them drain. Then a little oil and work the action again. They are good to go after that...

Patch with Hoppe's down the bore, a few dry patches, and you're good to go.

Pretty much use Hoppe's, Gun Scrubber, CLP, and Hoppe's spray oil. I don't have a huge collection of cleaning products... But they work fine for me... And I have .22 that I've been cleaning this way since I was a wee one... ANd it's not rusting and still works as well as it did when I was 6...

I have found that I can cut down my cleaning time by just buying another gun when they get dirty. It also saves me money on buying all those expensive cleaning supplies.

Hoppes number 9. I also have Hoppes semiautomatic gun cleaner, which doesn't seem that much different (silver label?).

Also have a spray bottle of Remington lube stuff, and a can of oil.

I guess I should take them out and clean/oil or better still shoot/clean/oil.

I have found that I can cut down my cleaning time by just buying another gun when they get dirty. It also saves me money on buying all those expensive cleaning supplies.

I tried that excuse with the wife... didnt work though. [thinking]

What? Replace her to avoid expensive supplies? (-:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom